1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We Are NOT Contenders !

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketblood713, Nov 13, 2013.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

We will have to see what Morey gets for Asik. Right now he's starting to feel very redundant and dead weightish. Howard is pretty much Asik on steroids (hopefully not literally...) if we can get one of them ATL bigs for Asik (I doubt it) we certainly would be. Even the bad coaching would make us contenders.

I think we need to clarify that term. To me a contender is a top 5 team in the league. I don't think we are that now, but we have the potential to be. If Lin fits comfy into his role and meshes with Harden and Howard and we make a great trade with Asik we could be.

2. nomangame

nomangame Member

I'd say we are but right now here are a few things (in my opinion) that need to be fixed ASAP

1. Howard and his FTs.....yes call me Captain Obvious.....
    2. Fully utilise the squad McHale.....having the same 8 guys every night ain't gonna work...losing my patience with that guy...
    3. 3 pointers are nice but how about attacking the paint more often? Lin and Harden are good at drawing fouls

3. tiger0330

tiger0330 Member

Philly only needed the preseason to gel. Getting Dwight does not make the Rox an elite team the guy has too many holes in his game and the results are showing.

4. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Yeah I agree that we need to use more guys than just the 8. If we had stop w the TT earlier we would have better starts. And I want to see who can give us that spark of the bench. Like guys aren't even playing that well or shooting well either. Some one just like Jones could give us a spark too. DMO Brewer or Greg. We just have to try. It's not like we have a definite line up. Like tonight McHale only put Asik 4 mins and didn't give other guys time just TJ.

Idk if ft can be improve. He just needs to focus or idk in the off season try something else w a better form.

And yes going in for a drive in the paint is good we get ft and spread or confuse the other team. But it also closes or gets crowded if guys don't hit their threes and their guys just helps on def inside.

So I do think we need more 3s or shot better from downtown

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Member
    Supporting Member

this is a thread for fools.

1 person likes this.
  6. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

Once our 3s start falling, we will show ourselves to the juggernaut that I know we have the talent and potential to be.

7. KWilson71

KWilson71 Member

I think 9 games isn't enough to tell if a team is a contender or not

8. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Member

I hope those of you who are so down on the team right now don't try to jump back on the bandwagon if/when they hit an upswing.

9. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Untill our defensive woes are not sorted and we stop giving away so many offensive boards and develop a 3rd option consistently, we are not contenders. But it's 9 games in and 73 more to go.

10. wolf8grandma

wolf8grandma Rookie

Hey we tried the Twin Towers .. that didn't work but every coach in the league would of tried it and we played so great in the pre-season. oUr 3 point shooters have been awful except for Lin and we have injuries/Illness killing our team. All these things will pass and we will have a long winning streak soon I think.

11. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

REMEMBER THE HEAT STARTED OFF SLOW TOO!! THEY WHERE AT 500 THE FIRST 20 TO 25 GAMES AND THEY WERE CONTEMPLATING FIRING THE COACH AND PAT RILEY TAKING OVER!

IT TAKES TIME PEOPLE. LAST NIGHT, McHALE SHOULD HAVE TOLD THEM TO FOUL AND DO NOT GIVE UP THE 3!!!

1 person likes this.
  12. conquistador#11

yes and no. three games we should have won with better ft shooting. we get to the line than any other team in the league. we need to start capitalizing.
    calvin murphy and yao are not impressed!

13. count_dough-ku

And yet their coach didn't tell them to foul. For the 2nd game in a row. And in both games, the opposing player hit a game-tying 3-pointer at the top of the key. We trash players when they make the same stupid mistake game after game. Coaches deserve the same treatment. And this coming on the heels of McFail running the Twin Towers lineup out there repeatedly despite getting off to horrible starts in every game.

14. Nawad70

Nawad70 Member

Because of Bad COACHING!!!!

After the game, Wroten said he noticed that Jeremy Lin was face-guarding Anderson so he thought if he put the pass high enough, Anderson could come down with it.

“Out of the timeout I told him, ‘I’m going to come off the screen and I’m going to hit you in the corner,’” Wroten explained. “But he wasn’t open, so I kept probing and ran out of options. But he was hot, so I just threw it up to him and it’s fortunate for him to make that.”
    Quote:
    Anderson said the toughest part of the play was catching the ball. Once he got his hands on it, Anderson knew he’d have a clean look at the hoop.

“Tony told me he was going to look for me, but I was in the wrong spot,” Anderson said. “Somehow he still found me and I was just fortunate to get a shot up.”

If I were the coach I would of put Caspi on Anderson only for that play.

15. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. HillBoy

HillBoy Member

In a word? YES! There is a lot of anxiety around here because Rocketsheep have bought into what Howard, Morey and McHale was selling during the off season. Simply put far too many equated the Howard signing with instant championship and are now beginning to realize that it might not be that easy. Now, that being said, it's only 10 games into an 82 game season so they still have plenty of time to get it right. If they are still losing games like this by year's end, then it will be time to hit the panic button.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Member
    Supporting Member

There was never anyway we were going to be a serious WC contender - most people who know basketball know this. And that's how you can tell who on this board understands the game, and how on this board who does not. All the people who are freaking out are the folks who had no clue and now are starting to realize.

Now they swing to the opposite extreme.

The truth is that this team has a lot of growing pains to go through. It's not going to happen this year. But not mainly because we need x or y player. Mainly because of one thing.

INEXPERIENCE.

18. Surfguy

Surfguy Member

Give the other teams credit. Give the Rockets no credit for allowing the other teams to take credit. Blah blah freaking blah. High turnovers, 60% FT shooting, and poor defense....and YOU SEE WHAT YOU GET?!?!? YOU SEE WHAT YOU GET? ROCKET PLAYAS...COME OUT TO PLAYEEYAY! ROCKET PLAYERS...COME OUT TO PLAYEEYAY! IT WASN'T US...IT WAS THE ROCKETS! THEIR THE ONES!!! NOT US!!! YEA....WE FOUND WHO WE'RE LOOKING FOR. YOU OTHER TEAMS...YOU SOME BAD MUTHAF-ERS WHEN YOU PLAYEEYAY THE ROCKETS!!!

19. Remii

Remii Member

At the end of the day there are actually only two championship contending teams and those are the two teams that make it to the finals and play for the championship. All the Rockets did was upgrade the center position (with a guy with no post game, can't hit free throws, and can't play away from the basket) and that wasn't enough to make this team contenders. And McHale doesn't help either.

20. Jontro

Jontro Member

oh noes...!

call the police! we're not contenders!