1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We are all Khaled Said

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Jan 25, 2011.

1. basso

basso Member
    Supporting Member

from Tunisia to Egypt?

---
    (CNN) -- People across Egypt took to the streets on Tuesday in demonstrations against corruption and failing economic policies, rallies partly inspired by similar protests that rocked Tunisia this month.

Thousands were protesting in the capital of Cairo, according to the "Front to Defend Egypt Protesters," an alliance of lawyers who helped organize the events.

At first, witnesses said, the police were restrained in Cairo. But later, they said, police fired around a dozen rounds of tear gas on the protesters, and people in the crowd threw the canisters back at the officers.
    The group said about 200 demonstrators were in the southern city of Aswan, 2,000 in the eastern city of Ismailiya, and about 3,000 in the northern city of Mahallah.

Protest organizers said they hope to capture the regional momentum for political change set by Tunisians, who 10 days ago forced the collapse of Zine El Abidine Ben Ali's 23-year rule.

'Winds of change' blowing through Middle East and North Africa
    The Egyptian government did not issue permits for Tuesday's planned protests.

In an interview released Tuesday with state-run al-Ahram newspaper, Interior Minister Habib Adly warned that "the security agencies are able to stop any attempt to attend" the demonstrations and called the efforts of the "youth staging street protests ineffective."

By early Tuesday morning, more than 90,000 people throughout the country had pledged to participate in the event in a Facebook group called "We Are All Khaled Said," named after an Alexandria activist who was allegedly beaten to death by police.

The Facebook group demands raising the minimum wage, sacking the interior minister, creating two-term presidential term limits and scrapping existing emergency laws that the group says "resulted in police control" over the people and the nation.

To highlight the role of police corruption, organizers tapped January 25 -- Police Day and a national holiday -- to hold protests.

Amnesty International released a statement Monday "urging the Egyptian authorities not to crack down" on the planned nationwide demonstration.
    The banned Muslim Brotherhood, the biggest organized opposition to Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak's regime, had stated it would not have an official presence at Tuesday's protests, but some of its members "have reportedly been summoned and threatened with arrest and detention" if they attend and protest, Amnesty International said.

It was not clear whether opposition leader and Nobel Peace laureate Mohamed ElBaradei would attend the planned demonstrations. However, he posted statements supporting the effort on his Twitter account.
    He also issued a video statement released Monday on YouTube addressing policemen.

"I sympathize with you because sometimes you are asked to do things that you do not want to do," ElBaradei said.

"One day, I hope that you will regain your role as the protectors of the people; rather than protectors of ... fraud elections. I am sure that every one of you deep inside is looking forward to the day that his role will again be with the people and a part of them, rather than against them." he added.
    Public sentiment against state security forces has grown recently with alleged videos of police brutality shown on the Internet. A recent report from Human Rights Watch said the problem is "epidemic" and "in most cases, officials torture detainees to obtain information and coerce confessions, occasionally leading to death in custody."

Some other human rights groups, such as the Arabic Network for Human Rights, have drawn a comparison between Egypt and Tunisia under Ben Ali, in terms of the level of government corruption and police brutality.
    Adly, the Egyptian interior minister, dismissed any such comparisons, calling it "propaganda" that had been dismissed by politicians as "intellectual immaturity."

But one woman, identified only as Nahla, who plans to attend the Tuesday protests, disagrees. She wrote in an online post, "I hope the [Tunisia-style] revolution will be taught in history. And that Egyptians will learn in school later about the January 25th revolution."
    -------
    Facebook

2. basso

basso Member
    Supporting Member

3. Landlord Landry

k. thanks for letting us know.

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Can you believe this *****?

5. basso

basso Member
    Supporting Member

yes. we saw it in Iran.

6. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Egypt is exploding. Hosni Mubarak's son has fled, and they set fire to the police station in Suez and shut down the stock market.

But what's even better is that Yemen is spilling over too:

7. Pharaoh King

Pharaoh King Member

I am afraid to report that nothing has happened so far, and that no one has fled the country, these news are all false and were rumors nothing more. The regime is very strong, and unlike Tunisia's it is actually very deeply rooted in a massive security apparatus that is unrivaled in the entire region. More than anything else, the regime appears to have the full backing of the powerful Egyptian military, which is said to be deployed all over Cairo and other locations in Egypt with special forces having already taken positions all over town to prevent the anticipated post-Friday prayers gatherings and protests in the country. The bottom line is the military generals fully back Mubarak and the NDP and without their help, there will never be any revolution in Egypt. Egypt has the best military US money could buy, and the USA is making sure that the regime is not overthrown and that instead some major reforms take place. The USA counts too much on Egypt in the region for it to possibly support any regime change or instability there. You can count on it (just read their very carefully worded statements).

I think something positive can still come out of this though, I really think these demonstrations will have placed major pressure on the NDP and Mubarak and it may lead (for the first time ever) to some real political reforms relating to Parliamentary elections and the such. It won't touch Mubarak still, but everything else may be fair game and the opposition may finally have a real seat at the table. Will see I guess, I am just hoping the country can avoid any major violence.

8. Pharaoh King

Pharaoh King Member

9. Mathloom

Supporting Member

That's disappointing but surprising. The only source that I've seen claim they haven't fled is the American consulate in Egypt. Where are you getting news from if you don't mind my asking?

I also heard from people in Egypt yesterday that the military is not co-operating fully. There appears to be some internal conflict.

10. Pharaoh King

Pharaoh King Member

The military disagrees with Mubarak on some things from time to time, but the generals do support him and they like the fact that the regime has taken good care of them and kept them fed and armed to the teeth with the latest American-supplied hardware. Do not forget also that Mubarak was a decorated air force veteran when he was appointed president by the military. Egypt is basically a savvy military regime married to business interests in the country.

They have not fled as was verified by even the opposition papers in the country, who initially published the news and then basically retracted it. I get my news from many diff sources, including family and friends in Egypt whom I was in constant contact with. Now, however, the government has disconnected ALL types of communications technology from the entire country, including the Internet and Mobile Phone networks. As of half an hour ago (3am Houston time, 11am Cairo time), Egypt has been officially taken off line and completely disconnected from the outside world.

11. Pharaoh King

Pharaoh King Member

12. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Thanks. You never know what to believe when communication is cut off.

I'm so ashamed of Etisalat and Vodafone for co-operating with this regime.

13. Pharaoh King

Pharaoh King Member

Well to be fair, with a gun to your head, you may just feel a strong motive to make such a small concession. Of course, the government could have just done it themselves if Vodafone and Etisalat had refused.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Any change in your opinion over the last 5 hours?

15. Pharaoh King

Pharaoh King Member

The regime will still be in power, since it is a military dictatorship anyways. Mubarak and, possibly, the NDP will be sacrificed if they must be. There may be elections ultimately in a few months, but I imagine the military in Egypt (like that in Turkey before it) will always have the veto if a radical government comes to power. Bottom line: the Egyptian military will NOT be sidelined in any new political makeup.

You guys will have to forgive me as I am in constant terror for my family back in Egypt from the news I am hearing on TV and from first-hand accounts. There is total lawlessness at this point, with destruction of both private and public properties taking place on a mass scale not just in Cairo, but in other cities all over the country. What happened was with the destruction of many police stations all over the country and breaking of people out of jails, you now have thousands of roving thugs with machine guns and other weapons destroying and threatening the lives of ordinary citizens. To make things worse, the Mubarak regime is apparently intentionally withholding police protection for the population so that they would beg for mercy and return of security. That is his game plan right now, as the police force of the ENTIRE freaking country has pooof disappeared into thin air, and now the army is struggling to deploy forces across the country for basic protection of neighborhoods all across the country, especially in Cairo and Alexandria.

Say a prayer for my people, no one said a revolution would be clean.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

In the eyes of most people, Mubarak's removal would qualify as regime change. I think everyone knows the military must approve Mubarak's successor should he be forced out.

I will pray for your family and country.

17. Pharaoh King

Pharaoh King Member

I understand, but it would really ultimately not be a real change if that is what happens in the end. In contrast to previous presidents, Mubarak's regime (especially in the latter years) is probably far more tolerating of dissent and media freedoms than any of his predecessors after the Free Officers revolt by Nasser and his aides in the 1950's. I mean, he is almost Thomas freakin' Jefferson compared to Nasser and Sadat, both of whom were far more dictatorial and heavy-handed to be honest. But my point is this: all of those guys (including Mubarak) belong to the armed forces and were approved and backed by the generals. So if Suleiman is their new figurehead, what has really changed here? Meet the new boss, same as the ol' boss!

Thanks brother, things seem to be much more under control right now, thanks mostly to the army and their military police who are now carrying out security operations to apprehend the thugs and lawbreakers. But most of all, thanks to the awesome people of Egypt, who banded together and formed these citizen patrols all over the freaking country to protect not just their neighborhoods, but also other private properties and stores nearby. Before the army even got their act together, it was the Egyptian youth who took to the streets and formed human chains around museums, banks and other high-value targets for looters to protect them, with some paying dearly with their own lives for it. This is the same nation that responded overwhelmingly and of free will in the millions by forming human chains around churches all over the country to help protect their Christian brothers and sisters. Those who live outside Egypt may not understand this, but this is the true nature of the people of Egypt. They don't even like to protest or cause any disturbances, they only did so because it was just too much corruption and too much injustice to bear by the current regime, ESPECIALLY after the outright stolen Parliamentary elections of a few months ago, and they found inspiration in their brotherly nation of Tunisia.

God bless my people, they are the best nation on earth, and I am proud to be one of them.

1 person likes this.
  18. Pharaoh King

Pharaoh King Member

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You actually back up what I said. Mubarak was progress from Nasser & Sadat. It is almost certain that whoever takes over will go even further. Probably a lot further based on the involuntary exit of Mubarak (if it happens).

20. Pharaoh King

Pharaoh King Member

Possibly, you have a point. However, keep in mind that Mubarak was NOT initially an improvement over Nasser and Sadat. On the contrary: Sadat's assassination allowed him to institute emergency laws that have been in effect throughout his rule. Moreover, I would submit to you that Mubarak has been quite brutal for the majority of his rule, probably the first 15-20 years of his rule in fact, especially with his counter-terrorism policies which were absolutely merciless (and yes, very effective I admit). In the last ten years or less only, Mubarak seemed to have taken a much more liberalized approach to politics, and Egyptians were free pretty much to speak their mind on the streets or in the media without much fear of reprecussions. However, those changes seemed to coincide with the younger Mubarak's ascent into politics, as he was basically seen as running the show behind the scenes in terms of pushing major liberal economic reforms/privatization efforts and for more freedom of speech and engagement with the people. True, none of that translated into any real political reforms or increased political rights for the masses, so a valid argument could be that little more was granted other than the right to vent. But generally, the young Mubarak's policies resulted in strong economic growth AND, unfortunately for him and his dad, much greater inequality of wealth in Egypt. The middle class grew significantly over the last ten years in Egypt, and foreign investments were pouring in.

1 person likes this.