1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Was Rick Adelman asleep during the 3rd Quarter against Magic?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by persian hoopa, Apr 8, 2009.

1. persian hoopa

persian hoopa Contributing Member

Great win. We have a great chance to capture the division title something we haven't done since 1993-1994. I am not trying to be a Debbie Downer but what the hell happened in the 3rd Quarter last night?

Our offense was completely ragged and Aaron Brooks was playing horribly turning the ball over and getting schooled by Alston. Ron was jacking up shots and for the life of us could not get the ball to Yao.

I don't remember us calling a timeout at all that quarter. Why didn't Adelman do so and why didn't he insert our bench sparkplugs of Wafer and Landry into the game?

It concerns me how we could not effectively get Yao the ball that quarter and the only way he touched the ball offensively was on putbacks of badly missed shots. I just want us to go far in the playoffs and crap like this scares me.

1 person likes this.
  2. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

In the second half, Howard began fronting Yao. That continues to give us problems.

But you know what? We still out-scored Orlando in the second half. Landry played over 20 minutes, Wafer played over 21 and Lowry played over 24 (AB was only in for 43 more seconds than Lowry). Those are significant minutes for our bench.

Expect Landry to gain more minutes as he continues to return to full strength (and you could tell he wasn't at it) and expect Ron's minutes to drop (he did have too many last night).

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Adelman lets the team play through it so they can learn.

1 person likes this.
  4. caffreys_irish_ale

caffreys_irish_ale Contributing Member

All teams have their ups and downs and I'm sure it's very difficult for a coach to decide if it's better to leave in the current squad or make a change or just call a time out. I never felt like the game was in any real jepardy yesterday so I can't say that Adelman was asleep. Maybe Van Gundy was.

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

But they NEVER do. Since forever this team has had it's scoring droughts and it has lost us games.

I'd much rather him call timeout and fix things. Yet it's like he just goes to sleep and then WAITS until the other team gets the lead.

That's the worst part, it's too late once the other team has gotten the lead. Now the momentum has shifted.

6. Bleeding Red

Bleeding Red Member

Rockets were lucky they survived Ron's the True Warier in the 3rd. :mad: Hope they don't sign him next year.

7. crp02c

crp02c Member

I noticed the same thing. He should call a time out but instead Orlando called one and basically saved us.

8. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

Exactly...this is why his teams are always pretty successful. I love that he lets them play through it because when the playoffs come they gotta be able to get through their "funk" and play better basketball.

9. tsunami

tsunami Member

then we don't need a coach....

10. arjun

arjun Member

wrong. that shows adelman's confidence in his team, and especially in himself.

11. choujie

choujie Member

I wanted timeout too. But after a 2nd thought, I can't remember when was the last time RA fixed things after a TO, or even scored.

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Heh true.

13. Acedude

Acedude Contributing Member

Phil Jackson does the same thing all the time. It's better for the growth of the team in the long run, rather than to micro-manage every little mistake made.

(IMHO) We were soft under the JVG era mainly because he would call timeout right after he sees something he doesn't like. Our players didn't really had to think for themselves (so many times our PG would have to look toward the bench to know what play to run), because they've got the timeouts as the crutch. In those years, our team was mentally weak and was unable to perform when the game was on the line.

I like Adelman's approach. It will pay dividend down the road.

14. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Adelman is a slow learner, and a slow reactor, but I still give him the coach of the year if this team can win 54 games with a division title.

15. El Hitman

El Hitman Member

Someone must've gave Ron the green light cause he was jacking up everything. And Howard WAS fronting Yao, he's tall enough and fast enough to deny him the ball, there should've been better ball movement. Maybe next game...we'll see. We still won though, so whatever.

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Phil Jackson had the luxury of having MJ and he used to let them play through the game but when he sensed that the team could get in trouble,he took a timeout.
    I didn't like the micromanaging of JVG, but Adelman doesn't intervene when he needs to stop the game. Not much ever comes out of his timeouts but I would like to see him pull out guys earlier when they are continuously making mistakes.

1 person likes this.
  17. diegot143

diegot143 Member

The way i see it and probably the way the coach sees it is, that ok, You are the best players on our team, you are the starters, and you will most likely be the ones that i will count on in the end of games in the playoffs, so either we win with you or lose with you. He is putting in the players heads that no one will save them but themselves, which i think is a good move by the coach.

18. ebu

ebu Member

I was thinking the same thing...Phil Jackson does that too!!

19. tsunami

tsunami Member

you...horrible, just horrible....

20. tsunami

tsunami Member

words...