1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Was justice served?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamFisher, May 22, 2007.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Ok I felt sorry for the Celts at first, but the Celts and Grizzlies were the two most obvious, ball coddling tankers in the NBA this season. Memphis pulled a San Antonio 1997 style tank job and Boston formulated some corrupt bargain between Ainger & Rivers to tank. In a way, it sort of serves them right.

Of course Minnesota's heinous tanking last year (the Mark Madsen experiment) cost us Brandon Roy, so I guess I have bad feelings about that.

2. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Oh yeah that was awesome!!!

Lesson here is never to tank a season thinking you will get rewarded. Bad karma will bite you in the back. Look at the top 3 "tankgate" teams Memphis, Boston and Milwaukee all fell down from where they started. :D

3. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

**** yes.

I hope Ainge chokes on it.

4. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

Both teams made pretty horrendous draft picks in the past 4 years, considering theyre Eastern Conference and have had all those nice picks and have still sucked balls. I have no remorse for their mediocrity! None! Thats what you get for playing 12 players a game 20 minutes each...

5. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Lol he was so sure of it that he spoke with Durant's mom and got fined for it. He will get canned before the all-star break and Doc Rivers will too for asking his team to lose and tanking it badly.

6. SamFisher

LOL yeah but that's what a lot of our fans wanted to do this season - it's how you develop young players!

7. sbyang

sbyang Member

What are you talking about? I could have sworn Memphis was in our division, and one the only thing Boston has done decent recently has been drafting. Please stop speaking when you have no clue on the subject.

8. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

on the one hand, maybe it does serve them right. on the other, it's not like they didn't suck really bad anyway. they were gunning for 1, 2, or 3 just about no matter what, they just tanked to make sure.

either way, the lottery, as imperfect as it might be, is about the best system there is. it doesn't just outright reward tanking with a guaranteed spot, but still gives bad teams the best chance. in a weird way, as the best solution to tanking (aside from giving all 30 teams an equal chance, which just about no one wants), it sort of encourages tanking because of the magical "ping pong balls." it's like the ping pong balls give a tangible reward for tanking moreso than just having a draft spot locked up does. kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't for the major sports discouraging tanking.

9. SamFisher

The easiest way to get rid of tanking is to eliminate guaranteed contracts.

10. francis 4 prez

apparently there are no bad players, just guys without enough playing time.

11. dream2franchise

I would have really liked to see some promise of balance restored in the league. But it seems that yet again, in the lottery era that tanking does nothing but damage team moral for what almost always ends up being worthless cause.

I believe a review of the draft system is in order though, would an appeal, GM/Coach vote and final Commissioner ruling be a ridiculous way of determining the top 5 picks of each draft? Just thinking out loud.

12. francis 4 prez

that's what i was thinking about the nfl. since careers are so short and everyone's always playing for their job, no one wants to not play hard. of course, tanking isn't really about not playing hard. it's about faking injuries to hold your good players out and playing crappy guys. most guys play hard once they're out there. even madsen was probably trying to make those 3's. the reality is, with 82 games coming almost every other day, teams figure out they suck pretty fast, no one cares much for the last 20 games, and in a sport in which top picks mean the most, tanking will always be there, unless the nba can force teams like the celtics to play pierce, and i don't know how they can.

13. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Nope no need for that. The lottery should have no implication the play in the regular season. Teams should play hard every night and wait for the off-season to see if they will be rewarded.

14. Rocket G

Rocket G Contributing Member

I just can't wait to read about Bill Simmons' meltdown.

15. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Anyone think this shuffle helps the Rockets in some way or form.

1) I think Phoenix may be willing to give up its 2 first round picks 24 and 29 for cap space.

2) Rashard Lewis may not return to Seattle for sure now. We don't have the money but you never know if his market goes down like Bonzi Wells. Remember this guy has hardly made the playoffs and didn't have the kind of year to get top dollar. Gerald Wallace looks like the bigger free agent moneymaker.

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The first think that hit me -- he is about as depressed as a b-ball fan can be right now. :p

17. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I'm happy they weren't penalized for tanking. I'm happy that we were in 83 and 84. :p

18. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

yeah Boston has been drafting...people that win 33 then 24 games a year, thats called suckin balls in the EC as I said before. yeah I got atlanta mixed up with memphis boo hoo.

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

the conspiracy theories will never go away if the nba doesn't do a better job of rigging the lotto.

tankers don't get rewarded. that's the point of the lotto. well the nba slapped the 2 tanking teams with worst case senarios for both. lesson learned, don't tank! it's not good for the nba.

seattle gets a top 2 pick so they end up with one of the big 2 and probably don't have to relocate. the nba doesn't want to move a team that's been in a city for that long.

portland will be stocked with young talent and 2 future superstars who are class acts (oden, roy). way to build the future team of the nba! stern is a master artist.

although it would've been in the nba's best interest to keep the hawks out of the top 3 so the suns can draft nash's replacement in conley, therefor keeping the most popular team in the league competitive long after old nash retires...they had to move someone into the top 3 so that memphis and boston can be punished. nice try to cover it up, but we see through it!!!

20. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I think rockets should move up to 24 if nothing else.

I would like the rockets to get 2 picks, but 2 1st rounders means guaranteed money for 3 years to 2 players. I would rather them get an early 2nd rounder. If not possible taking the 29 works too. We may be able to develop some depth (I can dream can't I?)