1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Warriors are willing to include Klay Thompson in a trade for Kevin Love

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Swishh, Jun 19, 2014.

1. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

why does this trade reek of another Chris Broussard bogus trade speculation special??? We shall wait for the Timberwolves to shoot down this proposal later this evening...

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

No story here and the Celtics have much better trade assets.

3. Bigsupervise

Bigsupervise Member

Love hasnt proven he's a franchise guy. He puts up offensive numbers but they dont lead to wins. He's not a leader. If i'm Minn i take that deal all day. Klay will pair up well with rubio and klay will be given the opportunity to develop into the guy. Would be good for Love as he could pair up with Steph and become that number 2 guy that he really is.

4. TheresTheDagger

I don't understand what your point is. Are you saying Morey should just give up on the possibility of getting Love RIGHT BEFORE THE WOLVES ARE ABOUT TO MAKE A ONE SIDED TRADE?

If their GM is that desperate, what exactly does Morey have to lose? At least its worth a phone call.

You DO know that James Harden was acquired in much the same way...after the trade for John Wall fell apart....right?

5. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Curry
    Martin
    Iguodala
    Love
    Bogut

holy ****

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

EDIT: add IR for two of those.^

I guess I'm kind of crazy, but Lee and Thompson are the 2nd and 3rd best players on that team, easily. Together they made for 36 pts per game last year with eFG% over 55.

Thompson's D is overrated, I think, but he really doesn't turn the ball over so much.

Anyway, I don't see this trade happening. Those players aren't helping the Wolves much at all, no matter what their plans are, and a team with only Steph and Love (with aging Iggy and always-hurt Bogut) doesn't really scare me too much. If Iggy and Bogut could be healthy for an entire season... that's a different story, but still with no bench whatsoever.

7. gregas

gregas Member

It's suppose to be a future first, not 2014 no. 13.

8. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

This is laughable...I'll put 100 in tip jar if this happens

9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Member

My point is what do we have on the team RIGHT NOW that can sent to Minnesota that's better than Lee/Thompson? Despite being grossly overpaid, Lee is a double double machine and was an All-Star. Thompson is still an "up and comer" (almost like Harden was but I doubt he'll ever be at that level) in many GMs' eyes. Tack on the fact that if this is deemed by the Wolves' brass to be the best offer for Love, Boston's picks still looks a lot better than what Houston can offer. No one, not even me, denies that Morey does his due diligence and see what the Wolves want but to think that Morey got some magic up his sleeve with our roster RIGHT NOW is unbelievable.

And this is all assuming Broussard's "source" is even correct/legit.

I'm pretty sure Presti asked for Bradley Beal (Link) so before you want to make an apples to oranges comparison get your facts straight. And this situation is nothing like how we got Harden. We had players that Presti wanted plus picks and Morey had players he was willing to give up. The Wolves don't need Asik (they have Pekovic), they don't need Lin (they have Rubio), they could want Parsons (but Morey seems to be holding onto him), and the jury's out on how valuable Jones and Dmo are to other teams.

10. arno_ed

arno_ed Member

Why would the wolves want lee? He is a lesser verdion of love. I do not see the lee pekovic combo work.

Also isn't thompson free agent after next season?

11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Member

And add to the that is the Wolves are also giving GS their 13th pick too.

Broussard is pulling this out of his ass.

12. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

This can't be right. Why would the Wolves be giving up the hands down best player (Love) and the best asset (draft pick in a deep draft) to the Warriors for Thompson and Lee.

The Wolves can't be that high on Thompson, right? He and Martin are almost identical players, Thompson being the better defender but Martin being the better scorer.

It just doesn't make sense for the Wolves to include that draft pick.

The Celtics' deal blows this one of the water, if they offered the 6th Pick, Jeff Green, Jared Sullinger, and trade exceptions for Love.
    Rubio / Martin / Green / Sullinger / Peckovic is a pretty good lineup then add whoever they pick with the 6th pick, Brewer, Budinger and Dieng and that team could be next year's Pheonix Suns

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>League source familiar w/ GSW said Klay Thompson was always available in potential Kevin Love deal w/ T’Wolves.</p>&mdash; Baxter Holmes (@BaxterHolmes) <a href="https://twitter.com/BaxterHolmes/statuses/479723897622134784">June 19, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Source: “That’s who they’ve always wanted from the beginning. Minnesota’s thing has always been about Klay Thompson.&quot;</p>&mdash; Baxter Holmes (@BaxterHolmes) <a href="https://twitter.com/BaxterHolmes/statuses/479724133778194435">June 19, 2014</a></blockquote>

Klay Thompson’s father ‘kind of depressed’ about possible Warriors trade to Minnesota for Kevin Love

14. TheresTheDagger

How is the above statement much different from what I wrote?

Are you telling me there is NO WAY Morey could find a player for Asik that would fit Minnesotas needs? Add in Terrance Jones, future picks, and maybe even Chandler Parsons if need be and you've got a package that BEATS the Warriors garbage trade.

This is all besides the point. The job of a GM is to improve the team. If as you say Morey DOESN'T do his "due diligence" and call the T'wolves then he would suck at his job. Morey doesn't suck at his job.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>&quot;No deal is close,&quot; league source involved in Minnesota-Golden State talks on Kevin Love tells Yahoo. &quot;(Pieces) change all the time.&quot;</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/statuses/479725963262320641">June 19, 2014</a></blockquote>

16. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Member

If Morey could find such a player Asik would have been traded already. If Morey really wants to use Asik as bait for Love, the best he could probably do is a future 1st (which ain't all that bad). Why? Because:

-why would a team trade a good to pretty good player for Asik when he's in his last year of his contract
    -why would this team also trade for Asik knowing that he's costing the owner $15 million in real dollars unless said team is in a position to actually be any good next season

If Morey can spin Asik into a pick in the teens this year or an unprotected first come draft day then I'd say, yea Houston has a shot IF (AND ONLY IF) they included Parsons and future picks. But then you're in a difficult situation of matching salaries just to make the trade work. And as things are right now, it doesn't look like Morey is going to part with Parsons and/or Minnesota doesn't think that highly of Parsons.

Trying to get back some civility, I just think there's nothing the Rockets/Morey can offer right now that will net them Love unless it's one of those 3 or 4 team deals that the Basketball Gods line up for them. Even if this Warriors trade is BS (which sounds like most of the parts are), Boston still has draft picks, expiring contracts, players, etc. to have a better offer for Minnesota RIGHT NOW. Hell, Chicago can send out Taj Gibson, Jimmy Butler, and both of their 1st Rounders and it still would look better than what Houston can give them.

17. TheresTheDagger

Listen, don't get me wrong. I appreciate the back and forth discussion on this. Most people just ignore (probably for the best...lol) what I post here.

But I was taken aback that in your first post you felt it was laughable for Morey to make no effort to contact Saunders before this (probably bogus) trade offer was accepted. I've always felt we are very long shots to obtain Love, and probably wouldn't even bother before seeing this offer....BUT....if there is validity to this Warriors offer that Broussard tweeted then we could potentially beat it....and if that were the case it would MOST CERTAINLY be worth the effort.

18. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

ESPN, or should I say Chris Bourssard and Stephen A Smith to a degree too, literally throw every outcome at the wall at some point.

When the deal is finally consummated, by default they are then right.

19. Raven

Raven Member

And it goes back to the owner. He's the one constant. If this deal goes through, Minny fans just need to walk away until their team gets a new owner.

20. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Kerr going to get er done