1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Visit Thailand

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sishir Chang, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Just got back from spending four days in Phuket Thailand and am happy to report that most of the resorts are open for business and are desperate for tourists.

There's still a lot of damage in some spots but in the main tourist town of Patong a lot has been rebuilt and the place has been cleaned up. The beaches and land are as beautiful as ever and the people are friendlyand beautiful and the food is great. Many of the diving and snorkelling areas are in excellent condition and in Patong there is still plenty of nightlife. For those who don't like crowds the place isn't too crowded and there are plenty of other places to go to where the beaches are almost deserted.

For those concerned about health and safety there are no health problems regarding diseases and all of the food even from roadside stalls that I ate was excellent. They've got no shortages of food, drinking water, medicine and most importantly beer. :D

For those on a budget there are some great deals to be had and with the tsunami prices have come down for lodging, airfare and food. Great deals can be found without having to look too hard.

Between December and May is supposed to be their high season where many businesses make all enough money to cover them the rest of the time. The tsunami hit hardest at tourist areas and many of the businesses are struggling to earn enough money to survive and replace everything that was lost. Tourists are very down, less than half of normal from what I heard, and many are staying away not knowing what condition things are in Phuket. From going there myself and talking to tourists who were reluctant to go but went anyway those fears are all exagerated. Even people who were nervous about going to Phuket have loved their experience there.

So while its great to give money to funds providing relief and the Thais are very appreciative of that what they really need is tourists. They don't want to live on handouts but want to get back on their feet and the best way you can help out is to go visit them. On top of that you'll get to have a great time in one of the most beautiful places in the world.

:D

2. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Seriously, with Phuket and Bangkok as the English names of Thailand cities, you got to ask yourself if the map maker or who ever decides the English name for foreign city just decided to become a prankster while he's naming them.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I've heard the beaches in Phuket are prettier than ever since the tsunami washed all the dirty sand away. I've gone to Thailand 3 times, but unfortunately I can't go for another few years because of the new baby.:(

Thailand is my favorite country besides the US. The people there are just awesome. Friendly, polite, and good natured and most speak enough english so you don't feel totally lost.

4. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

Phuket, Im going.

Hopefully in another year.

5. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I loved Phuket when I went there...It was about 5 years ago...The water reminded me of Padre, meaning it was sandy, but still great...I would love to go, maybe in the summer when i can take a week off...

6. Sishir Chang

Its pronounced Poo-Ket

I know the names sound funny in English but I'm sure many American cities names probably sound funny to people in other countries.

7. Sishir Chang

Its like Padre except with mountains, a different culture, and much much cheaper prices.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I'm going to spend some time there in December at a thai boxing camp, should be fun.

9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Oh this is rich.

Sam, I can understand where you'd enjoy this type of activity. Nothing like a little crotch to crotch combat to take your mind of law.
    [​IMG]

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I will have you know that my clinch work, though not expert, can be deceptively good.

Texxx, I can assure you my friend, these knees are not to be trifled with.

11. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Sweet. I hear you can get laid plenty there.

12. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

13. synergy

synergy Member

yes, they come in all ages too!! if thats your thing, of course..no, i'm not a pedophile. i enjoyed my trip to pattaya beach very much a few years ago. bangkok is rather forgettable. it reminds me too much of the third-world, something that is not very pleasent.

14. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Huh-huh. You said "poo."

15. Sishir Chang

The weird thing is that the sex / lonely persons trade might be the only segment of the tourism industry that's keeping things afloat there.

One of the things I noted was that most of the tourist were fat middle-aged European guys with tiny Thai women, or in a few cases men. While prostitution is officially outlawed in Thailand its pretty much tolerated and plus what many people seem to do is get temporary girlfriends.

I'm working on writing a few pieces about how the tsunami recovery is going in Thailand and one piece I'm planning on calling

Sex, Drugs and Tsunami Recovery

I'm going to talk about how the sex industry has been affected by the tsunami and also include a story about a local drug dealer who had donated a third of his profits to tsunami relief and advertised that to potential buyers.