1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Vintage 1998] Tracy McGrady's decision to enter 1998 NBA Draft

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ShutURBiG!, Jul 25, 2012.

1. ShutURBiG!

ShutURBiG! Contributing Member

Tracy McGrady had a decision special on TV 12 years before LeBron's decision ;)

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B5LsO8nerAg?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B5LsO8nerAg?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

2 people like this.
  2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

thread title wrong - shemac was taken in 1997 draft.

3. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

What amazing was when he became an NBA superstar, he would be an junior or senior in college. Tmac was an amazing gifted player. I think he made the right decision to go straight to the NBA. He struggled his first two years but by his third year, you saw why he was a lottery pick. He has all the offensive tools, the length and the athletic ability that was such a joy to watch. When he's on fire, he is unstoppable. Its such a tragedy that his body couldn't hold up. Imagine if he stayed healthy and had that same intense drive like Kobe, just how great he would be today....

I always wonder how great he would be today if injuries didn't slowed him down. In his Orlando years and early Rockets years, he was the same caliber as Kobe Bryant. I remember when he was making grown men looked like fools on the court. I am one of the few that remembered Tmac for his amazing years, not the bad. I'm not going to bash him like so many people here on Clutchfans because he gave us joy over the years. Most of the people here just remembered the bad times instead of the good times. I know he had it rough with Houston in the last 2 seasons and his playoffs failure but overall, he was special. He was our best player the Rockets had in the 2000s and the most fun to watch. Although he didn't bring that playoff success to Houston but he did something special for the city that no one will ever forget, that 22 game win streak. That 22 game win streak was one of the most enjoyable and special time for the city of Houston this past decade.

4. smr6

smr6 Member

Sounds like the video was made in 1998 though.

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

which is why i didn't mention the "Vintage 1998" part being wrong

6. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Probably the dumbest thing anyone could do at that stage of one's life. What makes it worse is the reasoning behind it from Tracy, i.e. he took the easy route. He didn't want to take a chance of possibly getting worse though he probably would've become better in college. His immaturity and lack of responsibility, blaming others / injuries has plagued him ever since.

His ego was also already too big back then which made him fiend for the spotlight. Didn't want to share it with his cousin and again taking the easy route by going to the Magic. Then his team sucks, he acts out and bam: took the easy route to Houston.

7. matty101

matty101 Member

I can see where you are coming from, but dangle $3 million in front of your face and your rationale may be different as well. Hindsight is always 20/20. I know if I was in his situation, I would have jumped straight into the league..

8. delta69er

delta69er Member

Can't forget about the the 13 points in 33 seconds either!

9. smr6

smr6 Member

My mistake, didn't read then full title lol.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Not really. probably the smartest thing. Instant Millionaire.

He could easily get hurt in college and never make a million dollars after 4 years and no NBA. It's a no brainer.

11. 713

713 Member

u guys mad? T-mac is top 5 rockets goat.

1 Hakeem
    2 Moses
    3 Elvin Hayes
    4 Yao
    5. Tmac

12. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

[​IMG]

Weakness: Questionable Attitude.

Indeed.

13. underrated015

underrated015 Member

he was scared of going to college n blowing out his knee. its hard at first to jump from highschool to the pros but u get experience when ur in the league. some guys coming out of college play like crap in the pros. its money vs. doing what everyone else wants you to do. lol

14. Jakej90

Jakej90 Member

I miss him :(

15. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Nope.
    He made millions in the NBA and got a lifetime endorsement deal with Adidas.
    He made the right choice.

Also LOL. "He took the easy route."
    LeBron took the hard route in Cleveland and got his ass kicked for nine straight seasons.
    What happened when he took the easy route? Championship, and now a possible dynasty.

16. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Yea i don't see how he made the wrong decision. He said it himself that some kids go 4 years and still don't get to the position he was offered. Hopkins was right about reasons to go to college.

17. TheGM

TheGM Contributing Member

Spot on TNT.

18. nguyen3706

nguyen3706 Member

lol at Kevin Garnett staying in the hotel playing Nintendo

19. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

How is a high school player jumping straight into the pro's the EASY route? How is moving from a sure contender to a rebuilding team the EASY route? The guy wanted to carry a team on his own, but came up short. If anything, those are much TOUGHER routes! What do you really learn in college other than a bunch of useless facts that you'll never use again in your entire life? (Yes, I am college grad from Texas A&M, if you're wondering). Some of the most successful people in the world do it without a college degree. He's accomplished more in his career than many of us on CF could.

His immaturity has nothing to do with college. Even players that go through some college come out to be immature and head cases.

Only one way to grow up, be thrown to the wolves early. If you have a shot to live your dream, you go after it! Why wait???

1 person likes this.
  20. MD_in_Training

What the hell? Are you joking? If he was guaranteed to be a lottery pick, then skipping college is, without a doubt, the right choice. This isn't even an issue of hindsight, because it was a no-brainer then and it's a no-brainer now. The risks of injury or playing below par and dropping out of the first round far exceeds whatever "maturity" he would have garnered after one year of college.