1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vince Carter trade in 2005 and what if?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by dkamberi25, Apr 10, 2017.

1. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

Back in the 04-05 season (the first of the Yao/T-Mac era) the Raptors moved on from Vince Carter as there was a public falling out between the player and organization during that season. Now there have been rumors that state the Raptors turned down an offer of Nash/Nowitzki for Carter/A.Davis but that seems hard to believe considering what they ended up getting for him. Of course that would come from the Nets who moved Alonzo Mourning, Eric Williams and Aaron Williams along with their 1st round picks in the next 2 drafts for VC. You can see why I have a tough time believing the Mavs/Raptors rumor when you see what they ultimately got for Carter. Now looking at the trade it got me thinking if the Rockets could have been a player and made a play for VC. Now I am not entirely familiar with the circumstances around this time period and if someone is out there that can shed light into and if what I am about to say had absolutely no chance of happening but here are my thoughts about it.

Of course 04-05 was the first season with T-Mac and pairing him up with Yao to form a two headed superstar team. Now 04-05 might have been this version of the Rockets best chance to make a run from the superstars standpoint as this was the season in which both players were as healthy as they ever were for the Rockets. Of course what held us back was the refs in the Mavs pocket in that series and our supporting cast. It took a few years to get the supporting cast right but by then we could never get Yao and T-Mac both healthy and playing at a high level for long enough stretches and certainty not in the postseason to take advantage.

As a result of the 1st two paragraphs it got me thinking about the Rockets and VC. Now based on what the Nets gave up the Rockets could have put together a similar package including Clearence Weatherspoon, Juwan Howard and Charlie Ward along with the 1st round picks. This is both similar talent and money that the Nets gave up without involving players that we moved in other deals that season. Now I am not sure if T-Mac and VC had any sort of issues that would have kept the team from making this sort of trade but from a numbers perspective VC tore it up in the postseason with the Nets that year averaging around 27/8.5/6/2.5. While this would not have solved the supporting cast issue it would have given T-Mac a counterpart to dominate the game on the wing and take pressure off of him. This would have allowed the team to reduce their minutes in the postseason which saw them average 43 and 40 minutes a game. There minutes could have been managed to be around 38 or so a game which would improve there efficiency and allow the team to make sure at least one of the guys would be on the court at all times.

I'm thinking this team could have made a deep run and possibly go all the way in a post Shaq/Kobe NBA.

Dr. Morbid likes this.
  2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Clearence Weatherspoon, Juwan Howard and Charlie Ward along with the 1st round picks.

ramotadab likes this.
  3. Caesar

Caesar Member

I believe T-Mac and VC were not on talking terms during that time IIRC

4. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

T-Mac left Toronto because of Vinsanity. There is no way, he would've approved this in 2005. Maybe in 2008 after "it's on me" but not his first season with the Rockets.

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wish we got Vince Carter, his durability and how he's adapted his game shows he's a true team player.
    He helped a team go to the Finals.

Caesar likes this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lol he is durable but he is a role player at the end, a journey man.

That is all he is now.

7. Mr Chuck Norris

well he's 40.....

Caesar likes this.
  8. Fantasma Negro

Exactly he came into the league and because of the dunk contest was labeled as a dunker. So then he changed his game raised his shooting percentage and became an all around player and found athleticism to keep him in the game for as long as he has. It wouldn't suck to have Vince freaking Carter in the corner waiting on Harden to drive and dish so he can hit a three, woulda been sweet but I'm pretty sure he retires after this year

tinman and daywalker02 like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Always reminded me of a better allround version of guys like Jason Richardson.

10. Fantasma Negro

Now you know why LeBron never did the dunk contest

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Wait a second, what you say is true but the King once proclaimed he will 100 percent take part in the dunk contest.

He just chickened out because he could not come up with creative dunks. He probably thought it was easy to please people in that moment he said that.

I could understand him but I think some fans never forgave him.

#11 daywalker02, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  12. Caesar

Caesar Member

In hindsight. I kind of agree with this. I love T-Mac, and VC had his own injury history, but VC would have worked better on an Adelman team with Brooks and Lowry and then later Lowry and Dragic running the point. VC was clutch and he adapted everywhere he went. Can't say the same for guys like T-mac and Iverson. VC would have definitely been a guy I would have been proud to watch him go from prime to role player and retire as a Rocket.

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

To be in the NBA this long is a huge achievement. He obviously takes care of his health and works on his game.
    Remember he and steve francis were in the dunk contest that year he won it. Look at the two of them today.

14. Caesar

Caesar Member

[​IMG]

tinman likes this.