1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vince Carter speaks out about Team USA and Mark Cuban

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Looogie, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Looogie

Looogie Member

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Rick Fox is Canadian?

Rocket River

3. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

I definitely respect that he says what he thinks. More players need to do that, the fact that he didn't, "pony up", speaks volumes of his character.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Vince is mistaken. That is not "how it goes." The article I read said that Germany does not have insurance that the NBA deems adequate, and Cuban therefore as an actual claim over barring them, as part of FIBA rules. "How it goes" according to FIBA is you must pony up insurance to protect the owner holding the FIBA license over the player.

What is the ruling in soccer??

When I first read those remarks, I'm thinking, "yeah babe, is there a FIBA insurance ruling that allows us to deny Ming international play."

That's worth looking into.

5. Looogie

Looogie Member

Vince went on to say he'd buy his own insurance, which I'm sure players like Nash and Dirk might do, but others might not.

I think when he said "Thats how it goes" he was referring to the financial aspect coming into play, but really I was more interested in the comments later on in the article with my being a Raptors fan first and foremost :)

6. mfclark

mfclark Member

No; it's Cuban who does not feel the insurance is appropriate. The NBA deems it as appropriate - equivalent to the insurance teams have on their players in the NBA - and wishes for the players to play, even if they have no control over the German National team.

7. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

I'm glad to see Vince is determined to prove himself next season. I guess all that criticism he endured lit a fire in him. He has all the tools and talent to be one of the best...now it's all about desire (especially the desire to play d).

8. TexasG

TexasG Member

Maybe you should read the article again. It says that Nash, Finley, and Raef have insurance policies that are deemed adaquate by the NBA however the German team has not purchased an insurance policy for Dirk, and Bradley that is deemed adaquate. That's why the NBA is saying that Cuban doesn't have the right to prevent Nash, Finley, and Raef from playing however he does have a right to prevent Dirk, and Bradley from playing.

In my opinion Cuban has every right to block them from playing. Even with the current insurance policies that Nash, Finley, and Raef have if they were to get injured Cuban would still have to pay the bulk of their contracts (even though they were hurt during non-NBA competition). Cuban wants the players to get policies that will cover 100% of their contracts if they suffer an injury (again while playing non-NBA competition). Now if they were hurt playing a game for the Mavs then I could understand Cuban still having to pay out their contracts but if they get hurt playing for another team that is not even a part of the NBA why should Cuban still have to pay them? It would be like one of us getting hurt while skiing, or mountain climbing and our jobs still having to pay us Workers Comp. We were not hurt at work so why should the company still have to pay Workers Comp?

If the players are as patriotic as they say they will buy their own insurance that covers them fully. Or why not have the team, and player split the cost of the policy? From what I've heard, an insurance policy for Dirk (considering he has a max contract) would cost in the range of $800K - $1 Mil. Dirk is not exactly making minimum wage so I see no reason he shouldn't be able to foot the bill. Same goes for every other player playing in these games.

9. Looogie

Looogie Member

I believe Nash, Finley and Raef have enough insurance to cover their salary, but Cuban wants a larger policy to cover the luxury tax.

10. TexasG

TexasG Member

Technically he was born in the Bahamas but he's also a Canadian Citizen.

11. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

Or why not ignore the whining of your megalomaniac owner?

Russ Granik already responded to Cuban's remarks by declaring that the NBA had final say in any such matters.

#11 tacoma park legend, Aug 12, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2002
  12. TexasG

TexasG Member

Technically the players have final say, and according to Nash he's going to listen to the guy that signs his checks.

13. Looogie

Looogie Member

Nash has also shown up for practice and is working out with Team Canada.

Cuban tried to do the same thing before and Nash ignored him and according to previous reports asked Cuban not to try to stop him again. I wonder how this effects their relationship, afterall everyone would love to see Capt Canada in a Canadian jersey :)

14. Stevie Francis

....man i wish he played for us.