1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Veterans Speak Out Against The Militarization Of Sports

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Torn n Frayed, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You can find a few vets to support literally anything and that's why hearing "Veterans support X" is kind of irrelevant.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

You could find more than a few. You could find millions on both sides of the argument, with a large percentage probably not caring that much.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

"Before 9/11" is a good milestone but the truth is that we still have two very active engagements across the globe, one of which is the longest standing war in American history.

We're in a perpetual War on Terror, and the military industrial beast still needs more barely legal cannon fodder to prop up support and tax payer funding... with our blessing.

#4 Invisible Fan, Jul 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    ipaman, CometsWin and macho GRANDE like this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly, there's something like 20 million US veterans out there, you can find vets on every side of every issue.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  5. edwardc

edwardc Member

SO is it safe to say that Vets know that the sports protest wasn't about the flag or disrespecting the vets.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's safe to say that vets have every possible different opinion on that subject....but most would come out against a douchebag intentionally being disrespectful....even if he spins it after the fact once he's hit by the blowback.

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

He finds a way to contradict himself in one sentence. Amazing. Very Trumpian.

8. edwardc

edwardc Member

BTG stop with the nonsense the man stated it from the jump it's not disrespectful not to stand the only blowback came from45 starting crap like he's been doing before he got in office.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, he didn't, what he stated from the jump was "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people and people of color."

You crazy kids keep trying to re-write history but the spin BS that popped up about a token vet agreeing with his protest happened afterwards...hell they didn't even talk until early in September 2016 and that was part of spinning things after he caught flak over his comments in August of 2016 which I've quoted.

If you are going to talk like you know what you are talking about, do yourself a favor and educate yourself.

cml750 likes this.
  10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Oh my God... What horrible and disgraceful words. All vets should be outraged.

You truly are pathetic.

edwardc likes this.
  11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Same can be said of Vets who don't support . . . .. so . . . hearing "Veterans don't support X" is kind of irrelevant too . . .

Rocket River

12. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Bobby are you a vet?

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's very true to a certain extent. It's similar to any large group though. "Houstonians don't support" or "Texans don't support" or "Americans don't support" are all fundamentally similar statements to "Veterans don't support". When people make those statements they are usually wrong outright or they are based on a specific sample from within that group used to represent the whole.

Also, even when used properly it's nothing more than an appeal to authority, and people are better off making better arguments than relying on that nonsense.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I was Army.

cml750 likes this.
  15. cml750

cml750 Member

If we polled all of the vets I bet a large majority would fall in the camp of believing that all of this is very disrespectful and they do not support it but sure if you ask around you can find a few people who have differing opinions than the majority on any subject from every group in the world. I mean, you can find Democrats who support Trump but it would not be correct to spin that in a way that makes it look widespread.

#16 cml750, Jul 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  16. cml750

cml750 Member

Thank you for your service!!

deb4rockets and Bobbythegreat like this.
  17. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

I think the worst part is when the "military appreciation" is sponsored. The Astros, for example, has "military appreciation sponsored by Occidental Petroleum." If you want to show appreciation to our military, why do you have a sponsor? Would you not do it if it weren't turning a tidy little profit? Grinds my gears every time I hear it.

ipaman likes this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

At this point I just do not care.

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Then u've let the libtard turrists won.