1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

verse's scouting report on adrian griffin...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by verse, Aug 7, 2003.

1. verse

verse Contributing Member

all you people that are talking sh*t right now (literally & figuratively), calling adrian griffin a "worthless scrub" will live to regret your words.

adrian griffin is no allstar.
    adrian griffin is no prima donna.
    adrian griffin is no freak of nature.
    adrian griffin is just we need.

you want a scouting report? here you go:

griffin, offensively, definitely prefers the drive over the jumper. think of a poorman's jr rider without a jumper and explosive hops...and with excellent defense. think of mario elie, in other words (except w/o the good 3pt %).

he's a compact player that almost always drives left, finishes well at the cup, will occasionally flush one over a center, and is reluctant at times to shoot the open jumper. his range is really around the 10-18 foot range.

defensively, i will tell everyone now: adrian griffin, under JVG, will be a stud. he was a stud, defensively, in dallas (where they don't teach defense). don't you guys remember??? dude covered everyone from cuttino mobley to (in small stretches) YAO MING. he has tremendous upper body strength and long arms, which offsets his height problems.

by the middle of next year, do not be surprised if adrian griffin becomes your favorite underdog rocket player. he is cut from the eduardo najera mold of brassballs, tough as nails, do whatever it takes to win type of player.

oh, and for those who want to quote his stats...just read the sig. i don't know if it applies better to any player other than adrian griffin. you'll never know what this guy does on the court by looking at the boxscores.

A.G. is the epitome of old school rugged basketball...

GO GRIFF GO!!!

2. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

Thanks for that, Verse. Even if the people who think AG is a scrub are right, at least you've given me something to feel good about until the season starts.

3. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

AMEN brotha!!

A poor man's shandon anderson with more defensive skills and a better contract

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Damn, I wander off for a few hours and miss our only news in like 3 weeks. Anyways, I concur that AG is a GREAT pickup for us. The instant I saw this news the first thing I thought was that this new coaching staff is competent as hell. I have a lot more confidence now in JVG's staff to get us back on the right track this season.

5. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not bashing the move.... all I'm saying is that it was brought out that Griff(2.0) maybe considered a "poor man's" Eddie Najera.... this is true since Griffin started for the Mavs when Najera went down with a knee injury. So, to the Mavs at least, he's not as good as Najera. So here we are, we had Najera, traded him, and now we're signing the "poor man's" Najera. It just seems like we're kinda stuck in the mud, or suffer from a lack of foresight, whatever the case may be. All that being said, I like the pick-up, I think he will bring the Rockets exactly what they've been missing and will thrive under the new coach and a new commitment, at least from the top, to defense.

6. oldman

oldman Contributing Member

its kinda strange that nobody even mentioned wanting this guy before and now that we've signed him, so many people are saying he's just what we need. if he is just what we need, how come there was never any real talk about him before?...but i do think he's a nice pickup, even though i would have preferred a lot of other players.

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

AG is fine, a good rotation addition.

But --

JPo is a starter, worth starter money.

Rox will regret JPo being in Grizzland, particularly if Grizz finish ahead of Rox...could happen.

8. AGBee

AGBee Member

And monkeys might fly out of my butt.

9. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Don't tell sabermaticians that stats suck.

10. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

While in many respects I agree with your report, this quote makes me chuckle:

"griffin, offensively, definitely prefers the drive over the jumper. think of a poorman's jr rider without a jumper and explosive hops..."

Other similar statements:

* "In terms of looks, think of her as Denise Richards without the face or the body."

* " In terms of defense, this shortstop is like Ozzie SMith, only without the range or hands."

* " Smith, as a running back, is like Barry Sanders without the moves or speed."

You get the gist.

;)

11. Olajumus Prime

yeah A. Griffin did exceptionally well in the CBA, not too good last year

I still would rather have Posey than Griffin, he contributed alot more to this team last year, than A. Griffin did for his team last year...

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I think alot of the people bashing this signing won't be satisfied unless we bring in a Brand, KG, Kidd, etc. I liked Griffin before we signed him because of his defense. As far a comparing him to Posey, I don't remember Posey getting this much love last season. He's a nice player but now that he's about to leave, all the sudden he's the key to our success? :confused:

13. WyoRox

WyoRox Member

This is exactly the kind of move we needed. I always admired A. Griff's defense and like the addition of a "glue" player.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

that's what backseat coaches do. They think the most important thing is doing what they want, and get stuck defending that to the bitter end.

JVG made these picks. I don't see anyone blaming JVG for passing on Posey for Piatkowski/Griffin and half the MLE left to spend.

The backseat coaches need to come out and say that JVG sucks right now, or shut up and wait for him to finish setting up his first team.

sheesh.

15. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Yes. Backseat coaches like Jerry West who decided that maybe James Posey was worth the MLE. But heck, who the hell is he.

16. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

You want us to match Posey just because of Jerry West?

17. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Griffen and Piatkowski for Posey. It's a slight improvement. The guy is tough like a Mario Ellie as has been said. He's better than T Mo. , but not as good as Kenny Thomas.

At least we haven't gotten worse. Since we're going to be cheap, it isn't a bad option.

He looks like the starting sf to me.

18. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

No, I want us to match James Posey because he's a legitmate NBA starter and Eric Piatkowsi, Adrian Griffin, Bostjian Nachbar or whoever scrub we have playing the 3 are not.

I was using the Jerry West argument because to some, a legitimate opinion depends solely on their NBA pedigree.

19. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

James Posey is a lower tier NBA starter. Not a star, and not better than average. A guard who is average, at best, at his position does not deserve $5-6 million per year.

You can make these kind of deals if you are Mark Cuban, or Paul Allen. But if you are not willing to blow all kinds of money on contracts, and you already have a few bad ones, then you would be doing your team a disservice to match on Posey.

We are not on the verge of a championship run, so it makes no sense to stretch ourselves financially.

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

different team...different dynamics. I guess backseat coaches don't understand that.

So, just say it then. You think JVG is an idiot, and you are smarter.

Say it man. Because you aren't fooling me.

and go ahead, hide behind Mr. "oops I passed on the ROY."