1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Van Morrison

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by panamamyers, Sep 25, 2009.

1. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

I checked out his Greatest Hits vol 3 at the library.
    I just have to put it down on record that I hate it when singers change up how their songs sound.
    Tupelo Honey and Crazy Love sound nothing like the original. The emphasis is on different words. The rhythm is all off. The arrangement is all jacked up. It does nothing for me.

2. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I hear you.

Van made some great, great music, but he's an odd dude.

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Why would anyone go with greatest hits? Just get Moondance and be done with it.

4. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Moondance is great, but you'd miss out on a spectacular catalog. I'd start with Astral Weeks, then hit up St Dominic's Preview, followed by His Band and Street Choir, then A Sense of Wonder, and Into the Music. I think that those are the essentials. Augment with No Guru no method to teacher, Avalon Sunset and possibly TB Sheets. And you still haven't heard his best song yet- Wonderful Remark on Philospoher's Stone or the King of Comedy soundtrack.

1 person likes this.
  5. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

couldn't agree more, and the version of Wonderful Remark on Philosopher's Stone kills the single version.

alos check out Cleaning Windows on the first Greatest Hits disc.

6. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

he's Irish.

8. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I love me some Van Morrison but the op was a little bit odd in talking about Van the Man. But yea, I hear ya. Van sorta marches to the beat of his own drummer. I only have the first Greatest Hits and to me that is all you need when it comes to Greatest Hits on him. I much prefer to get all the studio albums and I am close on that one (I lack about 6 or 7 out of close to 40).

The live album, "It's Too Late to Stop Now" is actually, believe it or not, a great place to start with him. It captures him at the height of his prowess which was in the early '70s. Of course, all the albums from "Astral Weeks" to "Veedon Fleece" are tremendous and mandatory if you want to be a serious Van fan. Yet, I find myself enjoying the most the "Celtic Soul" period which really began with "Into the Music" (although I like "Wavelength" which is the album before "Into the Music" alot). "Common One" is absolutely sublime and it is a shame that it isn't better known. "Beautiful Vision" and "Inarticulate Speech of the Heart" are twin beauties as well. And later on, it is hard to beat "Poetic Champions Compose" and "Irish Heartbeat" with the Chieftains.