1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Values] Do Americans Take Sports Too Seriously?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

The culture as it relates to sports, the manner in which it's presented as their only long-term professional opportunity and therefore current adult priority, and how a lack of coping skills, empathy or risk-reward perspective can allow them to misinterpret and misapply coaches' off-the-cuff complaints.

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I don't think that is the issue here at all, but we will find out soon enough.

3. Buck Turgidson

[allegedly] One of the position coaches for SA Jay suggested that they go after the ref to get him out of the game because he was too flag-happy on their team. [/allegedly]

4. cml750

cml750 Member

In my youth, I took sports too seriously but quickly realized how important elections and politics are. Just look at the 1994 midterm election as an example. We elected a conservative congress and Clinton compromised with them. The country prospered. This a far cry from this current congress who besides a lot of talk bows to everything Obama wants resulting in trillion + dollar deficits and the lowest labor participation rate in decades!

While I still love keeping up with my Houston Rockets and Dallas Cowboys, I know they are low on the scale of what is actually important in this life.

5. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

The NBA officiating sucks compared to other sports. Fans should call out bad officiating more critical action. It's for the better of the league.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

LOL, sounds like you got hit too much in the head playing sports.

7. ipaman

ipaman Member

Two teenage idiots make you question Americans?!?! How in your brain is that even possible?

8. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Member

FIFY.

9. ipaman

ipaman Member

Without a doubt one of the worst threads in D&D history. Your entire thread is a giant incoherent whining. Also, your FYP reply clears it up for me. It makes complete sense that you were able to reach two teenage idiots = Americans conclusion. I'll leave you to your deep thoughts and sweet takes.

10. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Member

Ever seen Asian cricket fans when their team loses to a rival?

11. malakas

malakas Member

The whole world take sports too seriously.
    But compared to the rest of the world NO.
    I am trying to imagine how this forum would be and how fans here would be like if the Rockets was a team of European football. lol Imagine a LOF level delusional devotion with people always fighting among themselves and have the Rockets as religion.
    Fortunately Americans don't suffer from hooliganism that pesters european sports.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Not sure about that
    That would be like saying corporations should sponsor educations since they are the major beneficiaries of it

I think School Sports is fine
    but the NEED/PRESSURE to win is too much
    We forgot what Sports is SUPPOSE to teach
    Sportsmanship, discipline, honor, dignity, exercise, tenacity, endurance
    Alot of GOOD comes from it
    unfortunately we have stressed WINNING ABOVE ALL ELSE

I beleive the Football coach or basketball coach is the highest paid employee in many schools .. . that is just wrong.

Rocket River

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Well . .. I guess we at least stepped up from Gladiator Games

Rocket River

14. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Member

I think these kinds of comments serve to prove a point: people here use the logic of a five year old. Honestly, all I asked was if "Americans", not Asians, take their sports too seriously. Are there any adults here? I mean, are there any adults who would tolerate their children's excuse of "my friend got a worse grade than me" for failing a test?

Bueller?
    Bueller?

15. glynch

glynch Member

The OP should be banned for raising this heretical thought on Clutchfans.

16. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Member

Make of life what you will.
    Politics may be more important in the scale of things, but everyone prioritizes things differently.

I get more joy out of the Rockets making it to the conference finals than having my political party of choice win a political election.
    I don't know why everyone assumes you can't pay attention to more than one thing.

17. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Member

You guys (since obviously there are no ladies in the Hangout) should read this:

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

Kinda what I was thinking.

First, yes, we as a society take sports too seriously. But, this incident in the OP has nothing to do with taking sports too seriously. That's just a couple of kids at the zenith of their crime curve thinking they could get away with a little payback.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not exactly accurate though. More so than any other factor the fall of the Roman empire was economic in nature. At one point the Romans currency was so devalued that they didn't even accept it to pay for taxes. The other large factors were numerous civil wars and political assassinations along with the rise of Christianity undermining the morality of paganism.

A fascination with sports probably wouldn't make the list at all.

20. Freik

Freik Member

Lifetime ban from all sports. Anything less and the referee should sue.

With all the attention on football and injuries, the kids and the coach if he was involved could be looking at aggravated assault.