1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Uniform changes....

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

Titans were behind that.

Hey Now! likes this.
  2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

I don't know how this stuff ultimately works, legally, and league-approval-wise - but a) I don't view the Lions and Oilers/Titans blues as remotely similar (all the teams, essentially, use the same 4-5 primary colors; shade is undoubtedly a factor); b) Detroit (who predates the Oilers) are not a division or conference foe of the Titans, nor do they share the same city as a home. So I wouldn't think that's an issue.

Honestly, the Chargers switching back to powder blue might've been an issue - but, again, those jerseys pre-date the NFL and are part of the team's legacy. With the Texans - they don't have that history; they don't, technically, have a connection to the Oilers, either. So getting approval to use a color scheme that essentially invokes the Oilers seems like something the NFL would've blocked.

Of course, we're speculating here - we don't know how much the new uniforms will incorporate Columbia blue. But if the color scheme is Oilers-adjacent, I'm going to guess the team paid the Titans $$$$$$$ to make it happen.

3. Two Sandwiches

I think you raise a fair point, and I agree with it. Just was playing devil's advocate in that there has to be a threshold. I think it's probably a lot more of a hurdle than most think, as well.

It's going to be super interesting to see what happens. I think there's been so much smoke with the color, that if it were just a tiny little accent, most would be disappointed. I also think that the gaudy script and the increased (as of late) use of HTown, and the bull horns, is without a doubt a preemptive marketing tactic. I think if we switch to that font and only use the blue as a small accent, then it's a huge letdown for most fans.

Just spitballing here, but I appreciate the discussion, even if tangentially, for the most part.

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

The Titans *do* use a Columbia blue-like color - but I don't believe it's the same color, and their current scheme doesn't really have much connection to the Oilers. So I don't know how that's litigated. But the Titans shoving the Oilers colors down everyone's throats makes me think there was something behind it: a swan song; or an FU to the Texans because they "won" the right to use Oiler colors; or...

I don't know: I've long advocated for the Texans to forge their own unique identity. If the Oiler blue is a small accent, I'd be perfectly happy. But Oiler-blue jerseys and/or pants.... wouldn't move my needle.

#1244 Hey Now!, Feb 20, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2024
  5. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

I'll be happy with whatever screws over Amy Adams Strunk the most...

SWTsig, macho GRANDE, Qan and 5 others like this.
  6. MadMax

MadMax Member

This is correct

SWTsig, macho GRANDE, Qan and 2 others like this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

I'd rather have good jerseys.

**** her and all, but still.

8. Marshall Bryant

The problem is the widely varying opinion of what a good jersey is. You will NOT please anyone and you've had a successful reveal if you can get 30- to 40% approval off the bat. I don't particularly like change, but others want constant change.Heck, I still like the St. Louis Rams Uniform.

9. gucci888

gucci888 Member

Honestly don’t think it is that difficult. Bringing back some variation of the Luv Ya Blue would’ve please a lot of fans right off the bat IMO. However slapping random Old English font front and center of the jersey will likely make it a different story.

macho GRANDE and conquistador#11 like this.
  10. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

The jerseys I thought were the coolest were the ones someone posted that said Apollos on them. But as you stated many probably do not.
    I will wait for @DonnyMost to provide his Haute Couture point of view.

kdchilds and Two Sandwiches like this.
  11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

This was a fun rabbit hole to dive down.

upload_2024-2-21_10-27-7.gif

I've just always thought that the Texans uniforms fell into this awful no-man's-land between traditional and avant garde. Pick a lane, you know?

It also feels like the name (which is its own mistake) has painted the franchise into a corner they can't get out of. We'll see how creative they get.

kdchilds and JamesC like this.
  12. MadMax

MadMax Member

I remember way back when seeing some black and purple designs for the Apollo name that I liked a lot before they chose Texans as the name.

kdchilds likes this.
  13. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

14. Buck Turgidson

These I can totally get behind. Nice.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

upload_2024-2-21_11-16-16.jpeg

Rudyc281 and TexasRedd like this.
  16. Two Sandwiches

Those are awesome, minus the two toned helmet.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

I was iffy about that too, then I realized it's supposed to represent the space horizon.

upload_2024-2-21_11-46-6.jpeg

Blatz likes this.
  18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

I mean... these are legit, aren't they? This is the leak? Who has actual jerseys, professionally photographed?

Rudyc281, Buck Turgidson and Blatz like this.
  19. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

I found the one I was referring to. I like the theme
    [​IMG]

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

Those are mockups, not real.

desihooper and Buck Turgidson like this.