1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Unemployment News

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by otis thorpe, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Northside Storm

nothing really upsets me, tbh, but I do get somewhat agitated when people trash my views, and don't bring any of their own. It's fair enough if you want to tear my thoughts down, especially if you do it right. We can all stand to learn something from others. i just ask that people would be so kind that there be some substance attached---I realize I'm really passionate about this kind of s**t, and that's not very common, so I don't expect the same amount of volume and effort, but it doesn't take that long to formulate an original thought or two that goes beyond "you suck! boo this man!"

anyways, I do like Schumpeter too.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Damn, NS. You are really upset about this. Had I known this would be your reaction, I would have never commented on that first post of yours. You scream that I only post articles from Mises (not sure if here you mean Mises Institute or Mises himself), then demand that I post an article from Mises. So then I do, and that nets me nothing because, as you like to point out, Mises is dead. Reminds me of a Simpsons episode where Homer asked "If he's so smart, why is he dead?!?"

::EDIT::

Just now see the post above. Fair enough. You have a point - I shouldn't have dropped in with that comment, especially since I had no intention to contribute anything afterwards. Trolling is a tough habit to break once you start it.

#42 Haymitch, Jul 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  3. Northside Storm

well, it doesn't net you anything, but it allows me an organized portfolio of what Mises or whoever is carrying on his torch think about stuff.

it's kinda a raw deal for you, I have to admit, but if it makes you feel any better, I actually DO read or skim the articles you post.

4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Member

It was a podcast, not an article. They focused on the inflexible labor markets as the major problem. Unions demanding high wages and limited productivity increases.

Your pet issues of Obamacare and welfare didn't come up

5. Northside Storm

Italy and Spain's labour markets don't make sense, that I can agree with. I wouldn't be so quick to assign that and condemn all unions, however. The framework of those countries and their labour markets are non-sensical, but it goes beyond unions towards a very inflexible, two-tier system for work. Strong unions in a more flexible labour system can work very well.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

Does this actually matter? Surely the oncoming tidal wave of catastrophe that we know wiil be caused by Chairman Bam's health care incentive crusher is going to swamp everything. Surely smart investors like yourself and super nut are deliciously hedged to take advantage of the impending doom-bacle.

7. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

Elliott Spitzer has been making the talk show rounds sinc he is running for comptroller of NYC. one of his regrets of messing up is that he had been trying to clean the subprime mkt up since 1999.

8. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

So texxc doesn't support austerity. good the numbers speak for themselves.

9. Classic

Classic Member

10. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

11. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Member

Look up how we actually compute the unemployment numbers. It's a survey of 60,000 random households and the number is extrapolated from that. I only took the basics of statistics, at the Community College level no less, but I know extrapolation is a no-no for accurate statistics.

12. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Member

13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Member

where the hell is the leadership around jobs? Outsourcing the task to the Fed is not the full answer. Get to work, Obama

14. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

You can't point the finger directly at him. With the policies in place as they are big corporations are still doing fine and even growing, yet their hiring is not up. Is the work force too uneducated? Maybe, which is why we should spend more on primary education and lower rates on loans to make college more affordable.

15. aeolus13

aeolus13 Member

The Democrats don't have a supermajority in the Senate. I'm sure you don't actually believe that your Republican buddies in the Senate (who have nothing to gain and everything to lose if the Democrats are seen by the voters as having fixed the crisis) would allow anything the President proposes to pass.

16. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Member

From the article.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

By the way, when members accuse you of being racist, this is exactly the sort of comment they are referring to, which you already know, and knew before you posted it. You post these kinds of comments simply because it gets people pissed off, and that is the definition of a troll. Not that you give a tinker's continental damn, of course. You're having too much fun attempting to get members angry at you, so you can spout off another "Fail!" along with your other nonsense.

What is sad to me is that these posts are entirely deliberate. You don't need to make them. You don't need to call our Black President "half white / half black." It is you delighting in pretending to be racist, so when someone calls you out on it, you can delight in trotting out your trite, tired phrases.

18. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

I took a stats 101 class so i feel empowered to challenge the way the govt collects ue data now and the last fifty years. are you freaking serious

19. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Member

sorry, if you want to cling to antiquated, Jim Crow style "one drop" rules governing race, then that's you're right I suppose. He's half white/half black.

20. HR Dept

HR Dept Member

The irony.

Why is this important to you? Is Barack Obama not this country's first African American president?

Eat troll, eat.