1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ugly corrupt politics - media tries to smear Joe Miller with Lies

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SunsRocketsfan, Oct 31, 2010.

1. SunsRocketsfan

evidence of a major news media trying to smear and associate Joe Miller with child molestors

http://hotair.com/archives/2010/10/...va-reporters-caught-on-tape-discussing-smear/

According to Joe Miller’s campaign, a voice mail left by reporters from KTVA, the CBS affiliate in Anchorage, went longer than intended and ended up capturing some embarrassing conversation. Much like Jerry Brown’s voicemail to a police union chief, the recording apparently resulted from a failure to properly disconnect the call, and two people can be heard to strategize coverage of an upcoming Joe Miller rally to look for a child molester they could feature later. Big Journalism also has the transcript (via Left Coast Rebel):

Anchorage, Alaska. October 30, 2010 — In an apparent accidental voice mail message left on the cell phone of Joe Miller’s spokesperson, Randy DeSoto, what is believed to be the news director for CBS Anchorage affiliate KTVA, along with assignment editor Nick McDermott, and other reporters, openly discuss creating, if not fabricating, two stories about Republican nominee for U.S. Senate, Joe Miller. The voice mail message was later authenticated by Mr. McDermott, who sent a text to DeSoto stating “Damn iPhone . . . I left you a long message. I thought I hung up. Sorry.”
    In the first discussion, the KTVA reporters discuss getting a list of Miller campaign supporters in order to ‘find’ a “child molester.” “You have to find that one person,” says the male reporter, to laughter in the news room. The reporters at KTVA then discuss creating a “Rand Paul” incident at the then upcoming Miller Rally (held on October 28, 2010) and hoping for violence so that they can “send out a tweet” and “Facebook” that “Miller got punched” at the rally.

1 person likes this.
  2. rcoleman15

rcoleman15 Member

Here is the transcript of that voicemail for those who don't want to click on the link.

Also it doesn't appear CBS and the CBS news room is tied to this in any way at all as KTVA is merely a CBS affiliate station/channel which allows the channel to run CBS programming and carry the CBS logo on their local news broadcast. All their local programming which includes the local news is actually owned by Alaska Broadcasting Company.

Edit:...Here is the audio of the voicemail from the above link:
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ftAylfUoogg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ftAylfUoogg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

#2 rcoleman15, Oct 31, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Really not sure why local news exists.

4. Oski2005

Oski2005 Member

Sounds like they were just joking with each other. Do you really think they were going to put together a new report about a child molester being there or a twitter alert that somebody punched Joe Miller?

5. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Member

I don't know if I'd call the CBS affiliate in Anchorage major news media. This ain't exactly Walter Crokite or Tom Brokaw, folks. Hyperbole much?

1 person likes this.
  6. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

very few affiliates are actually O&O (owned and operated by CBS)

but if the story did run, all the other CBS affiliates like KHOU in Houston, etc..would pick it up and run it as well - as this would be considered major story. We see stories up here in DFW all the time with Houston reporters.

I didn't hear the voicemail, so I can't judge whether they were kidding or not...but rarely does a news media completely fabricate a story..but when they do, they're usually caught.

7. da Whopper

da Whopper Member

For a Senate race in Alaska, it's pretty major.

8. SunsRocketsfan

I dont think this is a issue about a media outlet fabricating a news story but it clearly does show how its almost impossible for the news to be unbiased. You have NBC,ABC,CNN, Fox with their agendas.

9. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

10. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Yes, and their agendas aren't liberal or conservative for the most part. Unless you are talking about cable news with that Fox, as opposed to the local channels.