1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Ugh... DWI crap

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Fatty FatBastard, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Fatty FatBastard

You gotta love this. I'm sure they're out just for "safety."

http://www.click2houston.com/news/1...tml=hou_7am&tmi=hou_7am_1_07000212212007&ts=H

HOUSTON -- Drunk drivers need to be warned this holiday season. Judges are going to be working extra hours to make sure drivers under the influence "don't get away with a crime. Houston police announced a plan that would allow them to get a search warrant and give suspects a blood test minutes after an arrest, KPRC Local 2 reported Thursday.

Houston police chief Harold Hurtt said being in the holiday spirit can be a bad thing when it comes to driving around the city.

"There's a lot of families out there -- a lot of office parties. People tend to drink more and be more carefree," Hurtt said.

So, Houston police said they have a holiday initiative targeting drunk drivers around the city. It's called Over the Limit, Under Arrest.

The crackdown starts Friday and will last through Jan. 1.

In addition to a DWI task force, 10 officers in cruises will patrol every shift looking for drivers under the influence.

On three random nights, Houston police will team up with the Harris County district attorney's office to create "no refusal nights," when a volunteer judge will be on call.

"We can go to the judge to get a search warrant in 15 minutes, and have blood drawn and have it tested," Hurtt said.

The department said that up to 50 percent of drivers refuse to be tested for alcohol and drunk drivers can lead to fatal accidents.

"Driving an automobile is serious business," Hurtt said.

The chief said Harris County is No. 1 in the country for fatal and injury accidents where alcohol was a factor, but he hopes this initiative will change that.

"We like to be No. 1 in a lot of things. That's not one of them," Hurtt said.

Hurtt is planning two more drunk driving initiatives for next year.

And here's the responses I've received during this blast email:

"so trying to enter the freeway using the exit ramp
    would be a bad idea, right?"

"Or demanding the cops show up to the scene of the accident while you
    drunkenly argue with a group of Asians."

"Or crash into a Houston's restaurant because a dog ran
    out into Fountain View..."

"I am laughing out loud! I forgot that one. Dam dogs."

"hehe"

"Maybe you all should just jump on the wagon after all these stories!!!!!
    ;)K Costas I am waiting for your come back!!!!!! LOL!!!!!"

"Also should you find yourself returning from a spontaneous trip to
    Dickenson with a group of crazy people it would be advised that you keep
    it below 120mph on 45N."

"You sure you didn't mean a telephone poll then into the chili's (the one that used to be at fountainview and Richmond) or was that a raccoon aka squirrel that time!!!"

Be careful out there, folks.

2. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Here's an idea, Fatty. Don't drive drunk.

3. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Guess I'll be crashing at my buddy's place in Midtown tonight then...

4. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

I saw the thread title and thought "Fatty thread."

It's nice to have some predictability in life.

5. Fatty FatBastard

Here's an idea BJ, have buses run past midnight if "safety" is what you're concerned about.

New York ain't Houston. :rolleyes:

6. Rocket G

Rocket G Contributing Member

They'll try this bull**** and it will go upstream decision/appeal-wise. Defense attorneys are in a tizz over this.

It's one thing for them to forcibly draw blood from you if you've killed someone in a wreck and then refuse to blow, etc.

It's another for them to do this to people who get pulled over after having 2-3 drinks and refuse.

7. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Just take the Segway.

8. Rocket G

And this WILL get ugly.

What happens when they try this on someone who refuses, they go to stick a needle in their arm, and that person resists?

Will they taser/hit that person to force them to? Strap them to a gurney?
    Charge them for resisting arrest/not following instructions, etc?

9. Batman Jones

Or take a cab. Or have a designated driver.

One of my closest friends just woke up from a coma after driving into a tree. He's been in ICU, in a coma, for weeks and still can't talk because of the trach. He's very lucky to be alive. And he's very lucky he didn't kill someone else.

Acting like drunk driving isn't a safety concern is ****ing stupid.

10. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I hope they exceed their quota of drunk drivers all twelve days of Christmas.

11. Fatty FatBastard

Then simply have more options. You can't, in good conscience, explain to me how safety is a concern, and not have buses run until 3:00.

It is a money-grab, once again.

12. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

LOL, where's Desert_Rocket when you need him? :D

13. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

This statistic is a bit manipulative as we are the largest (or at least one of
    the largest) geographical counties in the nation and are predominantly a
    sprawling, driving city. Which will mean that we have a much higher number
    of drivers/accidents/ accidents that alcohol may be involved.

I'd like to see a percentage of accidents attributed to alcohol or accidents
    as a percentage of total driven miles.

Be safe and have a happy holidays! Take a cab if you plan on drinking!
    (713) 236 1111 Yellow Cab! Taking a cab is less than the cost of valeting
    your car.

14. Rocket G

Sucks for your friend, but I agree with Fatty on this one. He is completely right.

This is NOT ABOUT SAFETY!

You want to know why this is happening? IT'S BECAUSE DWI CONVICTION RATES ARE DOWN!

People are listening to their attorneys/figuring out that if you don't blow & you refuse to do the walk test, that you will get off. You're not providing them with evidence to incriminate you. Yes, you'll spend the night in jail, but they will have zero evidence in court to convict you other than the cop saying "I smelled alcohol on their breath."

DWI's are a cash cow for the city, county & state. They are pissed becuase that cash cow is diminished thanks to people understanding that they have rights and cannot be forced to provide those entities with the evidence needed to convict.

So now they're going to try and force you to give that evidence. Without consent.

What happens when some PTA mom who has had 2 glasses of wine with her meal, is returning hom some evening from a social dinner, gets pulled over, cop smells alcohol, and she refuses the Breathalyzer/the drunk walk?

Will they take her to the station, and after obtaining the warrant, pin her down, grab her arm, and jab the needle in it?

:mad:

Like I said, this will get ugly.

15. TraJ

TraJ Member

I don't care why they're doing it, I'm just glad they are.

16. Fatty FatBastard

[​IMG]

17. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

I'm glad too. It's about time they crack down on driving under the influence.

DPS is cracking down on DUI, speeding, and no seatbelts here in the valley.

Good.

18. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

You're right. We should NEVER try to prevent drunk drivers from killing innocents on the road. I'm in agreement with TraJ, if this keeps more people from drinking and driving, then I really don't care what their motives are for doing it.

19. codell

codell Contributing Member

I'm with you.

Its good to get these task forces during drinking holidays.

20. Batman Jones

I wasn't responding to the latest efforts. I only skimmed Fatty's article and I don't agree at all with forced testing. I was responding to his general attitude that drunk driving is funny and cool and that efforts to prosecute it are BS. I'm not proud of it but I've done it plenty myself. I hope I never do again. The difference is Fatty is proud of doing it and he acts like some kind of victim when cops mess with him for doing it. That is stupid as hell.