1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Typical: Bonds might not donate prized items to Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by BigSherv, May 28, 2007.

1. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

Would you expect anything less from this a-hole?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2884986

Bonds might not donate prized items to Hall of Fame

NEW YORK -- As Barry Bonds nears his record 756th home run, he's stockpiling quite a collection of souvenirs -- bats, balls, helmets and spikes, pieces of baseball history perfectly suited for the Hall of Fame.

Whether he'll donate any of them to Cooperstown, however, is in doubt.

"I'm not worried about the Hall," the San Francisco slugger said during a recent homer drought. "I take care of me."

No wonder those at the museum are getting concerned, especially with Bonds only 10 homers shy of breaking Hank Aaron's career mark.

"There's uncertainty," Hall vice president Jeff Idelson acknowledged.

Around 35,000 artifacts are shown and stored at the shrine, and about a dozen pertain to Bonds.

There is a bat from his rookie year and cleats from him becoming the first player in the 400-homer/400-steal club. Unsolicited, he sent the bat and ball from his 2,000th hit. A batting practice bat from the 2002 World Series was the last thing Bonds provided.

"Doesn't everybody have the right to decide to do it or not do it?" he said last week.

The most prized items, the ones that fans would really want to see, are missing.

Nothing directly from Bonds to highlight his 500th home run. Ditto for homers 714 and 715, when he tied and passed Babe Ruth. Same for anything tied to him topping Mark McGwire's single-season total of 70.

Hall president Dale Petroskey went to visit Bonds at spring training last year, and instead walked smack into his reality show. The Giants talked to Bonds this year, and hope he'll be in a giving mood as the big moment comes and goes.

So far, Bonds has not indicated he intends to share any Aaron-related memorabilia.

A Hall representative plans to follow Bonds once he gets within a few home runs of Aaron's 755. Idelson has collected treasures for Cooperstown for more than a dozen years.

"Barry is very cognizant of his place in baseball history and we'll try to work closely with him to assure him that how this milestone is represented meets his expectations and ours," Idelson said.

"You need artifacts from the player to do that," he said. "A cap, bat or jersey, anything can tie a visitor to a specific event."

Aaron, who has said he will not attend the record-breaker, is well-documented at the Hall. There are 40 assorted items from his career; Ruth is remembered with more than 30.

The Hall does have the home plate from Bonds' 714th homer and first base and the lineup card from No. 715 -- those came from ballparks, not him.

Bonds has been generous with teammates and opponents. He recently signed a guitar that Giants pitcher Barry Zito gave to charity and autographed a bat for Houston's Craig Biggio. He's also given some of his own things to charity.

Bonds is careful with personal items related to his home run pursuit. He makes certain that hats, jerseys and other things he wears are authenticated, and he keeps them in a warehouse.

He marks them, he said, "so people don't steal my stuff." By his count, he's already able to take care of his next three-plus generations.

Whether that memorabilia shows up on his personal Web site or in Cooperstown remains to be seen. He opted out of Major League Baseball's licensing agreement before the 2004 season, and some of his gear is auctioned off on MLB's Web site -- on Monday, bidding topped $10,000 for a Bonds-signed Giants jersey.

Also to be determined is whether Bonds himself is inducted into the Hall. If he does make it, that could be his first trip to the red-bricked building on Main Street.

Bonds becomes eligible for election five years after his final game, and there's no telling how steroid allegations will affect his vote total.

The Hall is independent of MLB and the word "steroid" does not appear inside the shrine.

"There's not a lot you can say about it," Idelson said. "As the story plays out, we'll address it."

2. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

whats the big deal, its his crap.

3. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

meh, he may never get into the hall anyways. i wouldnt be to worried about it.

4. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

The fans pay for it.

5. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I heard he is willing to donate a few of the syringes he used to pump himself up.

Why are they trying to get more of his crap? I would be throwing his memrobilia out of the hall.

6. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

serves em right for liking baseball. :p

7. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Bats are nice, but people want to see the ball and Bonds probably isn't going to get his hand on that. Some jackass will spill his beer and knock over 5-7 people, possibly injuring them, in order to get the ball. He'll then sell it on eBay for a sh*t load of money.

8. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

It is his stuff, but he has a responsibility to the game and the fans. Those items belong in the Hall of Fame.

9. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

If the hall may not vote him in, why let his items go in? I'm unfortunately behind bonds on this one.

10. zoork34

zoork34 Contributing Member

whether he did roids or not, why would he give his stuff to a league that is planning on virtually ignoring his record?

(for the record, I cant stand the guy)

11. WWR

WWR Member

I don't mean to sound rude...........but I wish Barry Bonds would die. I know he has kids and such, but I have read the book about him, etc. He is a piece of crap and I don't think he deserves to breathe the same air as us. They broke the mold when they made that azhole.

The Hall of Fame doesn't have the word "steroid" in it huh?

It shouldn't have the word BarryBonds either.

12. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

DO they have a Hall of Shame exhibit?

13. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

he doesn't owe anybody anything. why are people so hard up on him. he gets paid and does his job well. since when was it illegal to be an *******? he's just keepin' it real. and whether he belongs in the HoF or not, who cares? truth is, it has NOT been proven that Bonds was/is on steroids.

14. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

In his leaked grand jury testimony he said that his trainer( the guy in jail for not ratting on Bonds) gave Bonds some type of cream. Bonds said that he did not know what it was nor did he ask but he used it.

I am not sure but for someone who makes his living keeping body in shape, wouldn't you ask what some substance was before using it? Sounds like a cop-out to me. Sort of like the guys on Cops who are caught with drugs on them and they say, " Thats not mine."

I am not saying he is guilty but that sounds suspicious. Also , no one, I repeat, no one starts doubling their HR totals per season from the 30's to the 60's+ after 38 years old. You are supposed to get slower and weaker, not stronger.

Something does not add up.....thats all I am saying.

15. Cannonball

He's been convicted in the court of public opinion so harsh comments against shouldn't be a surprise or even unexpected. He's like the OJ Simpson of baseball and steroids.

16. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

what the hell is your problem? do you hope giambi, mcgwire and sosa died too?

17. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

i used to not think the whole "bonds breaking the record" thing was a race issue, but i think race plays a role...

i dont think mcgwire would be getting this scrutinized if he was going after the record. i cant believe im hearing "i wish he was dead" comments. you dont even know the guy...and it's probably better that you never meet him. i realize he's an ass, but cmon.

18. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

ok one guy killed 2 people and one guy took steriods...how the **** do you compare the two????

19. Cannonball

I have a hard time buying the race arguement when it's a black man breaking a black mans record. Bonds had a reputation as a dick before the steroid speculation started. Being the alleged poster boy for the steroid problem in baseball made people who just mildly disliked him actually hate him. Some with a passion. Wishing he would die is extreme, but I'm sure people said that about Ty Cobb back in the day. I'm sure that people on this board have said they wish John Stockton would die.

20. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

It is his stuff and any responsibility he had to the game and the fans left when he started getting boo'd all over the league and when the commissioner decided he wasn't going to acknowledge him breaking the record. People can't have it both ways.

I don't hate Bonds, he wasn't the only guy cheating and I don't care if he is a jerk. I mean, I am never going to meet him, so his personality has no bearing on me.