1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Turning Points - (4th quarter film)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Kim, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Lakers deserve a lot of credit for their 4th quarter defense. It's not just simply double teaming Harden - it's where to double, how hard to double, and what to do behind the double. On the bright side, I think the Rockets played some solid defense themselves in the 4th quarter. In the Lakers half court offense, yes, Rondo hit some 3's and Caruso did too, but a many were decently closed out on. There were also many contested tough jumpers that the Lakers missed. It was really the Rockets offense that bogged down and turned it over too often that fueled the Lakers fast break and 4th quarter separation.

Here's some film. Every play the Lakers did well, but there were also openings for the Rockets that they just missed.

1) Good sideline trap. Release valve (Gordon) comes way too far back in court. By the time he gets the ball, the defense behind is already reset. Unless Gordon can rifle a pass past Kuzma to Westbrook chilling in the dunker spot, EG needs to more towards the top of the key

2) Good scouting by Rondo to anticipate the behind-the-back pass by Harden, though it's not like Harden executes that pass well all the time. Harden is capable of making the pocket pass to a rolling Covington that breaks down the integrity of that defense.

3) Good job by Harden getting it quickly to Westbrook, who drives. When at the FT line, that pass to the open corner PJ 3 is there, but Westbrook decides for the tough layup attempt. Caruso maybe with the foul there, but is in good defensive position. That open 3 is available - Westbrook just missed the pass.

4) Once Covington decides to drive it instead of jacking the corner 3, AD does a good job of anticipating the pass to the opposite corner. I don't know if I trust Roco to be a Draymond or Jokic, but once he got to the lane, that look away drop pass to Jeff Green for a dunk was available.

5) Nothing too complicated here as Roco just lost the ball on a pass fake during a drive. I don't recall Roco being an efficient creator off the dribble, but maybe he his can be. Just terrible timing for this to happen.

During this run, the Lakers took the lead from 1 to 12 and essentially put the game away. Defensively, the Rockets allowed some Rondo 3's, but they were pretty solid. It was just poor execution on offense that lead to easy transition buckets for LA off of turnovers. I think the only scoring in 7 possessions were Harden getting fouled once and Jeff Green on a nice drive dunk. Kudos to the Lakers for their solid traps, but I don't think it's some historic defense with no openings to attack. There are plays to be made - Rockets just have to make them. Anxiously looking forward to game 4.

2. JW86

JW86 Member

I definitely give credit to the Lakers, but many of our issues could be resolved if we had prepared for these double teams, had practiced guys cutting to the basket, setting back screens and more off-the-ball action in general to get open. By everyone staying outside and once a guy has it in the lane not cutting, but staying outside we end up with a tough lay-up or pass that is intercepted, leads to a 3 or even more hesitation. It also would've helped if we used the mid-range, but that's beating a baby seal that's already been clubbed.

diehardrockets, Rock Block and Kim like this.
  3. riko

riko Member

Game was over when Harden sat late in the third with us up by 1 and by the time he cameback we were down 7. They had all the momentum

Mr. Dominant, BMoney, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  4. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

It was 4, but the point is valid. I think the Lakers purposely played LeBron and AD together in minutes that Harden rests to take advantage of Westbrook-only time. That's 2 games in a row now I think the Lakers have pushed big runs in the 2nd half normally in times that LeBron would rest. MDA maybe should adjust to that and instead of resting Harden more, just matching his rest with LeBron. That's a good coaching adjustment by LeBron, outsmarting MDA there (I'm writing this tongue in cheek bc I think MDA is terrible in terms of rotation minutes inflexibility).

So Saith Red, D-rock, Dacamel and 5 others like this.
  5. icewill36

icewill36 Member

A game shouldnt be over down 7 with 8+ minutes left

So Saith Red and D-rock like this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Game slowed down for me, thanks a bunch.

If they could anticipate the behind the back pass from Harden which isn't that easy, more power to them.

Roco isn't known ball handler, they coerced him into that role, good job indeed.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. riko

riko Member

Frank is destroying mike with his in game in adjustments. Mike is to rigidly stubborn for him s own good

8. riko

riko Member

Have you watched a his team when harden is not controlling the offense? It’s in shambles and the Lakers know it hence they are forcing anyone but Harden to beat them. Game 1 Russ and Gordon stepped up but last night not so much. Gordon was horrid. This is a common theme.usually when Harden sits we are either infront or close by but by the time he comes back we are losing.

D-rock and RayRay10 like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

Statistically a team has like a 20% chance of winning down 7 with 8 minutes left...... and that doesn't even take into account the quality of opponent.

The reality is that the Rockets are not going to win anything against a really good team (possibly the best team) if they are getting absolutely destroyed when Harden rests. That is supposed to be a big part of the value of Russell Westbrook. However, with how the Rockets have played this post season with Harden on the bench, the team would seriously almost be better just running off 24 seconds off the clock, then defending hard on the other end and blowing a timeout to get Harden rest. It has been absurd.

The Rockets lost in the second half in part because they played the type of game that the Lakers want. The Rockets did not take as many 3's as they should have and they were lulled into believing it would be a 1 or 2 possession game at the end.

Westbrook has been bad this post season and was especially bad in game 3. Not having House hurt also. McLemore isn't playing so we are not getting his 3 point shots either.... the Rockets are not playing their game.

10. riko

riko Member

It’s absolutely embarrassing how bad they fold once Harden sits

D-rock, RayRay10 and Nook like this.
  11. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

In that 2nd video, I guess it's just so often that Roco is the pick and fade with Green being the guy who can pick and roll. I mean, the down defenders are Morris and Caruso. Roco catching the pocket pass on the run from the FT line with the only legit rim defender being LeBron on the left wing. I guess LeBron can chase down that block as he's done to Westbrook often, but drive left a little for protection and dunk one footed off the right. It's not like LeBron being behind and to the left means 100% advantage LeBron does it? Lol, game over if Roco can't get a running dunk consistently from the FT line in that situation.

D-rock and RayRay10 like this.
  12. icewill36

icewill36 Member

Well to be fair vogel has no choice but to change his lineups against us. He has downsized more each game. They are all out of tricks though.

D-rock likes this.
  13. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Updated on/off numbers for our “two superstars” in these playoffs

Harden ON : +7.9
    Westbrook ON : -0.8

Harden AND Westbrook : +7.0
    Harden NO Westbrook : +8.7
    Westbrook NO Harden : -14.9

Minutes without Westbrook have been our best. Minutes without Harden have been absolutely putrid.

DVauthrin, D-rock, Dacamel and 7 others like this.
  14. riko

riko Member

Their tricks are working for now but I see rondo eventually cooling down. My hope is that Rivers and Gordon will be more consistent to count their bench production

#14 riko, Sep 9, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  15. riko

riko Member

At this pint arguing otherwise is stupidly

D-rock likes this.
  16. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

This. Add to the that, the Lakers played LeBron AND AD during typical Westbrook NO Harden time the last game because they knew that's when the run would be started. MDA reacted too late. I think Harden has to match LeBron minute-per-minute and throw out his normal rest. Westbrook-only had 1 great luck run in game 1, but is overall a bigger fail.

17. foggy94

foggy94 Member

I remember Morey saying this stat a few years ago - if you're up by more points than the amount of minutes there are left you win 80% of the time. If that's what you are referring to, I don't think it extends that far back, it's more the last 2/3 minutes, and I would also bet with the increase of 3-point shooting it has gone down form 80% anyway

D-rock, RayRay10 and HP3 like this.
  18. topfive

topfive CF OG

Giannis plays a full game: Bucks lose 3
    Giannis misses all or most of a game: Bucks win or come close

Harden sits for 5 minutes: Rockets **** the bed

You tell me which player is more valuable to his team.

DVauthrin, D-rock and RayRay10 like this.
  19. riko

riko Member

The MVP is a media narrative based award.Harden and Lebron are far more worthy candidates. My respect for Lebron has grown ten folds so far. The man is 35 and is playing like the GOAT. I respect all gym warriors who are willing to go the extra yards. Its not easy

D-rock, RayRay10 and topfive like this.
  20. watashi315

watashi315 Member

Stan Van Gundy made a really good point - why don't we pack the paint so we force the Lakers to beat us behind the 3 point line? We continuously let Lebron drive in to the paint for easy layups or dunk.

ak99999, DVauthrin, D-rock and 4 others like this.