1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Turning DOWN 7 years, $119 million

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Clutch, Nov 11, 2000.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Manny Ramirez. Unreal.
    <a href="http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2000/1109/867955.html">Ramirez decides to test market</a>

I just don't want to hear, as he's been saying for a while, that his first choice is Cleveland. What a crock. Sure he'll be a Yankee soon enough.

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

2. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Thats really messed up. First of all I dont think he should even get that much. Thats a deal you dont see in baseball very often and he turns it down saying he is worth 200 million.

------------------
    "You look a team that's been to the mountaintop like the Houston Rockets, I'm going to put pressure on myself to be the best possible player that I can be. With the pieces they already have in place and myself, we can do some amazing things next season."

Maurice Taylor

3. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Clutch,

Word out of New York is that if he is seeking 200mil, the Yankees won't pay his price. Also, Paul O'Neal just signed for another year for roughly 6.5mil. So right field is set.

I would be very surprised if the Yankees picked him up.

------------------
    'Deeds, not words, shall speak me.'

4. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Who is Manny Ramirez?

------------------
    My dream job is to be a Houston Rockets towel boy.

5. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Can I volunteer???

------------------
    I am the b*stard son of LHutz.

Huh?

Right!

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

That's roughly the same amount that Kevin Garnett turned down, and after he signed for about 126 million he had the audacity to say "It's not about the money".

------------------

7. outlaw

outlaw Member

If Manny gets 150-200 million then what is Bagwell going to ask for? 75-100? Jeff is my favorite Astro but I think it's time to trade him for some good young pitching.

8. DUDE

DUDE Member

If you guys remember, Juan Gonzalez turned down a $140 for 7 years contract earlier this year with the Tigers. Considering that he hit .289 with just 22HRs and 67RBIs, I would think he screwed up. LOL

I agree that the money these guys are getting is absurd, but if you were offered this money I dont think any of us would turn it down. The thing that upsets me just a bit, is when the owners pay all this money out and then b**** about losing money and wanting to move. They wouldnt have been in that problem if it wasnt for their own stupid mistakes.

------------------
    "Her Box Started Buzzing Ever Since She Heard The CRÜE"

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Unfortunately, since the unions are so strong, if the owners choose not to pay the big bucks they are sued for collusion.

------------------

10. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

One word.....sickening!

[​IMG]

------------------
    Only in America....do we use the word 'politics' to describe the process so well: 'Poli' in Latin meaning 'many' and 'tics' meaning 'bloodsucking creatures'.

11. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Ramirez isn't worth $119 million, let alone $200 million. I think players who ask for (& sign for) that much money only hurt their team. MLB really needs a salary cap.

------------------

12. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Its because teams like the Yankees, Braves and Mets have the ability to carry a huge payroll and have no financial incentive to agree to a salary cap. Teams in mid-size and small markets have to pay more than they like to stay somewhat competitive.

The NFL has a salary cap and has parity in which teams will be strong for a while and eventually decline and go into a rebuild mode. The NBA has a "soft" salary cap and falls between the NFL and MLB in parity.

Mango

------------------
    Test Your NBA Trade Ideas
    1. Put new topics in the proper forum.
    Things happening in the rest of the NBA
    2. Use clear wording for new threads.
    3. No duplicate threads
    4. Conduct yourself as an adult.
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Donate Blood or be assimilated!

13. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

If these stupid owners are willing pay these outrages salaries, then I don't blame the players at all. It is the owners who are ruining the game of baseball, not the players.

What would Manny do if the best offer he got from any team was $6 million for 6 years? And the Indians pulled their offer and offered $7 million at 7 years?

It is up to the owners to put a stop to this travesty before it is too late.

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

14. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

It's just a matter of time. Wait until the next CBA comes up. It will be an important issue.

------------------
    Only in America....do we use the word 'politics' to describe the process so well: 'Poli' in Latin meaning 'many' and 'tics' meaning 'bloodsucking creatures'.

15. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

I think the next CBA comes up next winter. And both the player's union and the owners are expecting another strike. I don;t even think they realize that they're killing baseball.

------------------
    Who would've thought Don Nelson would pass up Olumide Oyedeji not once, not twice, but thrice?

16. DUDE

DUDE Member

The only thing that really brought baseball back from the abyss was the Sosa, McGwire home run race. However, now that it seems that we can have 5-10 guys EACH year hit 50 Hrs, I think it will take more than an intense HR race to get fans back should the players and owners strike again.

I, for one, think that a salary cap is the only way to go. It will surely lower the prices for us fans at the game, and it will sort of level the playing field. Right now a team like the Yankees or Braves own their own station. So they get tons of money coming in from that. While teams like the Brewers, A's, Twins, hell even Astros, struggle to keep up.
    In the last few years, the fact that teams can certainly 'BUY' a world Series is dishearenting to DieHard fans. But what else is killing me is that the history of the game is getting tainted a bit. I think with this offensive explosion, records will fall left and right at faster rates than ever before. For a game so deep in History, I dont think that is a good thing.

------------------
    "Her Box Started Buzzing Ever Since She Heard The CRÜE"

17. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Manny is a great hitter, who has benefitted from having some great players on base in front of him (Lofton, Alomar, etc).
    His defense is better but is average at best.
    He makes tons of baserunning mistakes.
    Basically Manny, IMO, is a one dimensional player. If he is worth $17 million a year what are the truly great players worth? I'm talking about A-rod, Jeter, etc.
    But I'm sure the Yanks otr the Mets will pony up $20 mill a year for him.

------------------