1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump University Fraud Cases Settled for $25 Million

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by dmoneybangbang, Nov 18, 2016.

1. dmoneybangbang

Trump University Fraud Cases Settled for $25 Million
    That would have been awkward defending yourself in a court of law as president....

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

“I don’t settle lawsuits” - Donald J. Trump

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

When you got money . . . you just buy 'justice'

Rocket River

4. Dei

Dei Member

Technically, Trump wasn't required to give any admission of guilt but I do believe this was a case of overbranding. He lent his name to some guy who actually managed and botched the program and mistakenly used the term 'University'.

The kids that sued him are millionaires now so I don't think anyone has to feel too bad. I don't think this reads too much as to how he'll manage as president.

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Trump said he doesn't settle. So he is a flat out liar.

6. Exiled

Exiled Member

Technically, he did not settle ,he just made another sacrifice to the country which benfited this imposter plaintiffs too o_O

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trump didn't just put his name on it he stated he hand picked the instructors and was very involved with it.

Most of the plaintiffs weren't kids. Many of them were elderly. If Trump hadn't settled he was in danger of running afoul of laws that protect the elderly from scams.

JeffB likes this.
  8. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

He's settled many times.

JeffB likes this.
  9. Dei

Dei Member

1. I think the hand picked comment is part of the hyperbole he often does. That said, I'm not making a case that he's free of any wrongdoing, only that there's a point with regards to how much one intentionally did it.

2. Elderly then. Good for them they can now live their golden years in luxury.

10. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

there were 7,000 people involved in the class action suit. who exactly is going to become a millionaire out of the settlement?

also, i thought trump never settles.

“I could have settled this case numerous times, but I don't want to settle cases when we're right,” he said at the time. “I don't believe in it. And when you start settling cases, you know what happens? Everybody sues you because you get known as a settler. One thing about me, I am not known as a settler.”

11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I guess I shouldn't be surprised anymore but this really shows how Trump has scammed and is really continuing to scam people. Trump supporters continue to buy into the same hyperbole that he sold to those who went to Trump University.

B-Bob likes this.
  12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

On top of all this, Trump uses the "Hamilton" brouhaha (which was much ado about nothing) to screech "Apologize!" on Twitter. Which diverted attention from the Trump University thing. Talk about "Wag the Dog." And guess what? It worked. Media went right along with it. We are living in some sort of alternate reality where stupidity rules.

13. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Very weak business decision by the Welfare King.

14. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Trumped owned the company. The idea might have been proposed by someone else and Trump might have delegated day-to-day, which Presidents do, but he also vouched for the operations by virtue of branding and income, and it totally alludes to how he would govern.

15. Dei

Dei Member

Like I said, I'm not absolving him of wrongdoing but from what I've read about it, it was a pretty distant partnership, born out of his common practice of licensing his name.

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

He probably should not have said this:

"We're going to have professors and adjunct professors that are absolutely terrific people, terrific brains, successful. We are going to have the best of the best... and these are people that are handpicked by me."

17. Dei

Dei Member

Yes, I agree. The guy uses hyperbole; "A little hyperbole never hurts," from The Art of the Deal. Education was not a context where he could do that.

18. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

"these are people that are handpicked by me" is not hyperbole. "I picked millions of great people" would be hyperbole. What Trump said would be called a "lie."

19. Dei

Dei Member

It's both which is usually the case with common marketing hyperbole.

20. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

No it's not both. You're wrong. It's a lie.