1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Troy Daniels sent back to the D-League!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Progs, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Progs

Progs Member

Updated with press release:

Rockets Re-Assign Daniels to the Vipers

HOUSTON – Houston Rockets General Manager Daryl Morey announced that the team re-assigned guard Troy Daniels to Houston’s single-affiliation NBA D-League partner Rio Grande Valley.

Daniels (6-4, 204, Virginia Commonwealth), who was recalled by Houston on Mar. 2, scored the first five points (2-4 FG, 1-3 3FG) of his NBA career in 5:32 off the bench vs. Indiana (3/7/14). The D-League Gatorade Call-Up was signed by the Rockets on Feb. 21 and assigned back to the Vipers.

Overall this season, Daniels has averaged 22.8 points, 4.6 rebounds and 1.98 assists in 36 games (25 starts) with Rio Grande Valley. At the time of his recall, Daniels led the D-League in 3-pointers made (190) and ranked tied for fourth in the league in scoring average (22.8). The Vipers co-leading scorer actually broke the NBA D-League record for 3-pointers made in a single season with his 153rd on Jan. 29 vs. Tulsa. He also tied the NBA D-League record for 3-point field goals made in a game with 10 treys on Jan. 4 at Idaho. The D-League rookie placed second in a sudden-death round of the 2014 Boost Mobile NBA D-League 3-Point Competition. He was also selected to play in the 2014 NBA D-League All-Star Game, where he scored 21 points for Team Prospects in a 145-142 win over All-Star Weekend in New Orleans.

2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Should have passed on that fast break instead of jacking up a three.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Saving him as our secret weapon for the playoffs.

4. steady

steady Member

Let's get Covington up here!

5. vator

vator Contributing Member

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He is too used to D-league game, where everybody fends for himself.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Don't think it's one play. They likely just figured that RGV needs him right now and he can use minutes and is unlikely to get any with the big club.

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

That play was just terrible, though. Complete lack of awareness. Not promising.

9. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

If it's one on one, that's one thing, but it was FOUR on one on that break.

Related or not, I like the idea that a bone-headed play is reprimanded like a bone-headed play whether you're up by 30 or 2. It just shouldn't matter when you're a championship team. If you're up by 30 with 5 minutes left, you don't fool around, you put in the guys at the end of the bench. To have those guys then fool around is intolerable. That's just me.

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

why don't I remember this boneheaded play?

11. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

When did this occur?

Was too busy celebrating.

12. vator

vator Contributing Member

He should have known better, but they encourage that kind of chucking when he is playing for the Vipers. Hard to break out of those tendencies. He had just scored two buckets and was feeling it. Had he made it, the reaction would have been a little different. Wouldn't have changed the fact that it was a bad shot, but I remember Bill saying "Kevin Martin layups" quite frequently when he would pull up for 3 pointers on fast breaks.

13. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

I hope it means that Smith is healthy. I suppose that would have been announced, though.

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Wow. Just when the guy was starting to get a little rhythm.

15. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

I hope this is not the case. It was a bad decision, but I've seen worse from Jeremy Lin. If that's the case, Lin would've been back in the dleague at the beginning of the year.

16. Swag

Swag Member

i dont think it was the shot lol. the game was already over and they all wanted to see him score his first points in the nba

17. mig0s

mig0s Member

Videos of the play? I doubt they send somebody to the dleague for ONE play in garbage time

18. Breitbard

Breitbard Contributing Member

Van Gundy commented on it at the time, and they cut to a shot of McHale laughing and shaking his head on the bench. Guess he didn't think it was so amusing after all.

19. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I don't think it was due to one play. I don't like the move unless smith is healthy.

20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

exactly what I thought