1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Troy Daniels breaks single-season 3-pointers made record in about half-a-season

Discussion in 'Rio Grande Valley Vipers' started by Dr of Dunk, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Not sure if this was posted, but ...

http://www.themonitor.com/sports/ri...cle_2f5562c0-8ed5-11e3-9781-001a4bcf6878.html

---------------------------------------------------

RECORD-BREAKER

On Jan. 29 versus Tulsa, rookie guard Troy Daniels broke the D-League’s single-season 3-pointers made record when he hit six in the 125-113 win. The mark gave Daniels 153 at the time, breaking Andy Rautins’ 152 made last season for Tulsa.

More impressive, Daniels broke the record through 27 games, a bit more than half of a season. Heading into Friday’s game at Austin, he has connected on 159 of 392 3-pointers for a 40.6 percent clip.

“When you break a record, you look back on everything you’ve been through,” Daniels said. “I feel like my work began at (Virginia Commonwealth University), my first year there. I broke records at VCU and now I’m doing it at the D-League.

“It takes a lot of hard work, dedication and confidence.”

At this rate, Daniels, who was named to the NBA D-League All-Star team last week, will finish with around 275 3-pointers made through 50 games. Not only is his success a byproduct of the Vipers’ offensive style — the Vipers as a team are 54 3-pointers made from breaking their own league single-season mark of 524 set two seasons ago — but his long hours honing his craft.

“It’s all part of a process, he said, and while he is surprised he has yet to receive the coveted NBA call-up, he understands.

“You have to pay your dues,” Daniels said. “At VCU, it was a process for me and I had a great outcome, and now I’m just waiting my turn here.”

2. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

let's bring him up!!

3. HighlightReel

HighlightReel Member

wow. I wonder why Daniels still hasn't gotten called up yet.
    it would be interesting what he, Canaan, and Covington can do for the rockets. no doubt some of them are elite shooters. hope that that Morey can free a spot soon to bring Daniels .

4. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I bet he could hit more 3's than Garcia.

5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

He's very short and a shooting guard. His defense needs more physical play too. He can make it, but he needs to add 'physical defender' to his already nice resume.