1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trading up for Battier?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by ElGrandeQueso, May 29, 2001.

1. ElGrandeQueso

ElGrandeQueso Member

Most scouts will agree that the player with the most immediate affect out of the draft will be Shane Battier. Who thinks it's worth the Rockets risk of trading all 3 picks to get the guy--like the New Orleans Saints did in the NFL for Ricky Williams?

------------------
    Mmm Queso.

2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

the trade i've been hearing most is:

we trade #13, 18(if we get it), 22 to van/mem for #6, and 27.

with the 6th pick we would definitely do after battier, if he is still around.

------------------

3. Live

Live Member

If that's true, I hope Battier is off the board by then, but K. Brown still is available (I know, its a pipe dream).

I'm sorry, but I'm not THAT enamored with Battier.

------------------

4. New Jack

New Jack Member

If they do trade up, hopefully it will be to draft Rodney White. The more I hear about him, the more impressed I become. I really think he's gonna to become a star.

Battier will no doubt be a good player but he seems more like a role player. Is a role player worth trading up for? The Rockets could get a good role player at 13.

------------------

5. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

There are concerns that Shane will be merely average in the NBA game like former Duke standout and #1 pick, Danny Ferry. If it were my pick, I'd rather roll the dice on one of the high schoolers.

------------------
    "Oh No..."
    -Bill Walton in 97 just before Stockton's buzzer beater

6. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

The thing about Battier is that you know what you are getting when you draft him. While on the other hand, when you draft a high school player you are picking someone who is unproven, and you don't know what to expect. Also, the Rockets don't need a superstar SF, they need someone who will play good defense and step back and hit the three, Battier's game. With the Rocket's draft history, don't look for them to move up and grab a high schooler.

------------------

7. ElGrandeQueso

ElGrandeQueso Member

RocketFan, I have to say that I agree with what you said entirely. Also, it is rarely pointed out that Shane is only 20(his birthday's in September). For a guy to be that age, have played four years of college, and have such extreme talent and work ethic is incredible. I think he should be the number one selection, but we all know that will never happen. This draft will be known as the one where teams wasted picks relying on hype, not talent.

------------------
    Mmm Queso.

8. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

I've been a Duke fan since 1980. I thought Ferry was way over-rated, BUT I think Battier is the real deal.

He's only 20! He's built like a truck. He loves to play defense. He shoots the 3. He has GREAT CHARACTER.

Total Rocket package.

------------------
    Time is a great teacher-- only problem is it kills all its pupils.

9. Live

Live Member

RichRocket,

I have no doubt that Battier will be a solid pro, quite possibly the best player to come out of Duke since Grant Hill, but I just feel that if the Rocks are able to trade that far up in the draft that there will be better prospects available.

I'm not thinking of just next year or 2 years from now, but 5-7 years from now when the Rocks are, hopefully, a perennial contender. I just have some serious reservations about Battier's ability to improve, that he may be as good as he's going to be.

True, you know what you're getting in Battier and he will most likely be a solid pro with a VERY long, productive career. But I would like to see the Rocks "take the risk", considering that the "return" may be greater. Remember, in life there is no reward without some risk; the greater the risk, the greater the (potential) reward.

------------------

10. ElGrandeQueso

ElGrandeQueso Member

Live, while a high school player could become something more than Battier, why take the risk? Battier will assure instant success. Also, knowing the Rocks history, there's about a 1/1000 chance they take a prep. Remember how they guaranteed Rashard Lewis they would select him, but became scared and wasted 2 of 3 picks. If the Rockets trade up, likely the only scenario would be to get Battier.

------------------
    Mmm Queso.

11. Live

Live Member

ElGrandeQueso,

Why not take the risk, particularly if you're certain, or just have a good hunch, that Player A will be better than Battier in the next few seasons?

And as far as Battier guaranteeing instant success, what Battier guarantees is that the pick isn't a wasted one, that you're getting a solid player. But the PICK, not the player, will be a failure if the NEXT BIG THING was on the board when Battier is selected, a la Portland selecting Sam Bowie when MJ was available.

Unfortunately, you're probably right about the Rocks wanting 8 SIMULTANEOUS root canals more than they want to draft a HSer [​IMG] . Don't misinterpret me, I'm not necessarily avocating that the Rocks should draft HSers. In fact, Brown is the only HSer that I would like the Rocks to draft. I just hope they remember and realize that such a philosophy may be why only 1 (Cat) of the 4 players they selected the summer that Rashard Lewis was available is still on the roster, and 2 of them will be out of the league in another year or 2. (For what it's worth, I would've preferred Al Harrington over Rashard. I still do.)

Rashard?! Well, he's just a vital part of the Sonics' future, that's all. [​IMG]

------------------

[This message has been edited by Live (edited May 30, 2001).]

12. Rockets-R-Us

Rockets-R-Us Contributing Member

If we are somehow able to move up to 6, I would rather see us take either Eddie Curry or Sagana Diop, because as long as Shaq and Kobe are together, we are probably talking dynasty! To get to the top of the proverbial heap you have to find someone who can at least "lean on" Shaq. Within the top 6, the only other player I would take would be Shane Battier. I also think Eddie Griffin will ultimately be a better player than Kwame Brown.

Having said all that, we will not wind up with any of these guys... [​IMG]

------------------

13. hotshotrbs2

hotshotrbs2 Member

if you are thinking now, you draft Battier. If you are thinking contenders in a couple years, take your pick. But if you really want to win the title, you are going to need either Sagana Diop or Eddy Curry, the only two players in the draft that can match up physically with Shaq. Basically, gear all the future drafts around beating the lakers. (Shaq, Kobe)

------------------
    Greatness is not a
    singular act, it is a
    habit. You are what
    you repeatedly do.

14. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Live, I wholeheartedly agree with you. I'm a big risk-taker in spite of my withered Republicanism!

I am only responding to the analogy of Ferry to Battier, which I think is short-sighted and invalid-- mostly driven by a common alma mater.

Even I wouldn't take Battier with the #1 pick... I don't think!?!

I think I'd take DIOP if we had it. Who we might take at 6 or 8 (if we could get there) is, of course, entirely a function of who ALL is available at that juncture.

In my mock, I made it easy on myself and had Battier slide to #13 where the Rockets jumped on him.

------------------
    Time is a great teacher-- only problem is it kills all its pupils.

[This message has been edited by RichRocket (edited May 30, 2001).]