1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade with Phoenix

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Juugie, Nov 30, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Juugie

Juugie Member

This is not a knee jerk reaction to losing the last couple of games. This is after much thought and consideration.

Yao and Moochie

for

Amare and Penny.

We keep waiting for Yao to become aggressive and be a monster inside, but this league is full of exaples of big men that had talent but could never be tough enough or aggressive enough inside. You can't change a person's personality. Yao is who he is. And there's nothing wrong with that. However, he will not be a dominator inside. That's not his style. He will be a very good, Rik Smits kind of guy.

We should trade him while his value is so high - before the rest of the league continues to find this out.

If we could get a tough, monsterous inside presence like Amare and a veteren guard to calm us down and share the ball handling while dumping Moochie's salary, we should do it.

Steve
    Penny
    Jackson
    Amare
    Cato

That's a great lineup with Steve playing alongside a tall SG that can handle.

I would do it in a heartbeat. Any thoughts?

No player bashing please.

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You gave all the reasons why we shouldn't wait for Yao and we should trade him. Why would Phoenix do this based upon what you said? You think they don't know?

3. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

No, Penny's contract is more ridiculous then Moochies and his game is on the decline. The Yao vs Amare debate is a toss up. Amare would suit us better in the short term since he doesn't require the ball in order to be effective, and can get a lot of easy junk points, but Yao will be a goto guy for years to come.

4. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

Dear God, please.

Since the day one you have been bashing Yao. Now this.

I have a better idea, why the hell don't you just go to Phoenix board ?!

:rolleyes:

5. annthuyn

annthuyn Member

yeah, i know posey isn't with the suns.. but after reading this thread, posey popped into my head.
    do any of you guys think if posey were still here, we'd be a better team? or how much he'd help the team?

6. Juugie

Juugie Member

And how exactly did I bash Yao in my post? By saying that I don't think he will ever be a dominant big man?

I said I think he would be a good player.

But if you're waiting for him to all of a sudden start dunking everything within sight and grabbing every board and completely controlling the lane, you will be waiting a long time.

And I have been a true blue Rocket fan since the 84'85 season. And I will continue to be one.

This team would be better served with a big man that can be a force without needing to handle the ball alot.

I think Penny would add a lot to the team. Those are my opinions. That's what the board is for.

7. SLA

SLA Member

Neither the Rockets nor the Suns will do this trade. We are like rivals..and Suns love Amare. We love Yao..we're not gonna just swap them...but I think Francis and Mobley and Jackson and Amare and Cato would be great...

This trade will never happen though.

Cato for Amare and Hardaway sure!

8. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Hardaway hasn't been healthy in 8 years and Amare is about the same player as Yao, actually worse. How does this help us besides get rid of Moochie and our best player at the same time?

9. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

You guys do realize that Penny is a max contract player coming off the bench for the Suns while receiving little to no playing time. There's a reason he's a benchwarmer for that team, and it's because he's another over the hill basketball player that was signed to a ridiculous max contract. And as bad as Moochie's contract is, Penny's 100 times worse. There are only 8 other players in the NBA with a bigger contract with Penny. The Rockets are looking to relieve themselves of cap space. Not make it worse.

10. annthuyn

annthuyn Member

lol i like your tag, London'sBurning
    [big macs]

11. Xenogears

Xenogears Member

Most r****ded thread ever.

12. scotia

scotia Contributing Member

Approved!!!;)

13. Nautic

Nautic Member

Approved2 ;)

14. kobo

kobo Member

Your beloved Stevie Fancy gotta go first before we consider trading Yao. BTW, everyone knows you are're a hardcore SF supporter and has been bashing Yao the same way SF haters have been bashing SF.

15. Severe Rockets Fan

He's already putting up better numbers in his second year than Smits put up in his BEST year, try again...

16. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Rik in 95/96

18.5 ppg, 6.9 rpg, 52% from the field

Yao this year

17.0 ppg, 9.7 rpg, 48.5% from the field

I think it's arguable if Yao better than Smit's best year. I'd give the edge to smits offensively but Yao's better on the boards and on defense. However, Yao's definitely better than Smits in his sophmore year. I hope one day I can see Yao's stat approach Duncan's instead of smits.

17. sun12

sun12 Member

I have a better trade idea. Rather than waiting for Amare to develop, we can be an immediate title contender by doing the following: (By the way, Amare and Penny's salary won't match Yao and Moochie's)

<I>Houston trades: C Yao Ming (17.0 ppg, 9.7 rpg, 1.9 apg in 34.1 minutes)
    PG Moochie Norris (2.9 ppg, 1.1 rpg, 2.3 apg in 14.9 minutes)
    Houston receives: SG Kareem Rush (3.2 ppg, 0.6 rpg, 0.3 apg in 10.0 minutes)
    PG Gary Payton (14.6 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 6.6 apg in 33.9 minutes)
    PF Karl Malone (14.8 ppg, 10.2 rpg, 4.3 apg in 33.8 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: +12.7 ppg, +3.8 rpg, and +7.0 apg.

L.A. Lakers trades: SG Kareem Rush (3.2 ppg, 0.6 rpg, 0.3 apg in 10.0 minutes)
    PG Gary Payton (14.6 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 6.6 apg in 33.9 minutes)
    PF Karl Malone (14.8 ppg, 10.2 rpg, 4.3 apg in 33.8 minutes)
    L.A. Lakers receives: C Yao Ming (17.0 ppg, 9.7 rpg, 1.9 apg in 16 games)
    PG Moochie Norris (2.9 ppg, 1.1 rpg, 2.3 apg in 16 games)
    Change in team outlook: -12.7 ppg, -3.8 rpg, and -7.0 apg.

Trade accepted</I>

Houston's lineup will be:

PG Payton
    SG SF / Cat
    SF JJ
    PF Malone
    C Cato

We will become immediately a title contender. If Houston is willing to trade after the season, I don't see why Lakers won't want to do it.

18. sun12

sun12 Member

By the way, both Malone and Payton have some 2 years left, I believe, which could give us at least 1 more championship. I am not sure Yao will get a championship, but if it happens, it will be at least 5 years from today.

You exchange a future possible championship for a championship today, anytime, you make this deal. I don't see why Houston does not want this deal. Lakers should be more than willing to oblige once they win the championship this year.:rolleyes:

19. Severe Rockets Fan

Good point man. :)
    Still, its easy to see that Yao is going to be much better than Smits was. A lot of people try to compare the 2, but besides the numbers Yao has a big edge on Smits in the health department...did that guy ever play a whole NBA season without and injury?

20. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

that has to be one of the worst trades i have ever seen

cato as our center? please dont remind me of the past
    and plus then wed have to let amaechi have some PT :eek: :eek: :eek: