1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Targets for a KPJ Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jags, Sep 13, 2023.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

stop it Plow. Bring in a star level player. not even a possibility. don't be this delusional. You're not even getting a rotational piece

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

People unwilling to try are at best middle managers - if you are afraid of taking a risk, you are limiting yourself professionally, can't be afraid of "No" because someone might say "Yes"

DD

Corrosion likes this.
  3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

Even for a rotation piece other GM’s will be asking for a significant draft piece for a few reasons that should be obvious. No GM has to do anything in September while their rosters and cap is set by their own doing. Are you willing to give up the Brooklyn pick next year for like a Robert Covington type of player? Cause that’s the type of trade you’d be looking to make here. You ain’t getting Paul George. You’re getting a Covington or Morris twin… and paying a first round pick at least for their trouble.

Just give yourself the PR benefit of waiving him yourself….but this front office and owner are scumbags so that’s unlikely.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

LOL good bit bro.

ElPigto and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

When the options are slim and none, pick slim.

On Houston being attractive, I suspect there is a good chance that current views will change a lot within the next 2 years. It just depends on who, when, and by how much among Green, Sengun, Smith, and Eason improve.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

Even getting someone like RoCo or a morris twin is just wishful thinking. Those guys should never be acquired using prime assets. especially at this stage of their careers who are vet mins on the open market. No I'm not willing to give up some of the best assets just to help dump a loser that needs to be waived outright.

The fact that the rockets FO thought it would be a good idea to dangle this trash for bait publicly shows how stupid they are

#166 YOLO, Sep 14, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2023
    dobro1229 likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I meant other teams are probably trying to gel their starting unit and 2nd unit until they find out what does not work.

I guess give it another 2 months.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

As said disgruntled stars rarely become disgruntled shortly before a season but rather during the season.

So brittle guys like Zion are not even on the market yet.

Of course you can go Ingram, Harden, Kyrie, Herro etc.....but you probably have to add 1 Sengün or Cameron or Amen to it.

One KPJ and picks aint enough.

I think in Lillard case, Blazers are going to trade him to at least a veteran team if not Miami.

#168 daywalker02, Sep 14, 2023
  9. aelliott

aelliott Member

It would be interesting to see a history of the times that a player didn't get their guarenteed money. Not saying it can't be done, but it's definitely harder to void a contract than people think.

daywalker02 likes this.
  10. Plowman

Plowman Member
    Supporting Member

Point taken, Day. But, it doesn't have to be a star. I, also, realize that the compressed nature of the timeframe makes it trickier too.

daywalker02 likes this.
  11. aelliott

aelliott Member

Assuming that a team trading for him wouldn't keep him, then all that matters is the current year of his contract. All the unusual stuff (i.e. the option every year after the first one) is irrelevant as he would be released and they wouldn't apply. If you're not keeping him, then his contract is nothing more than a $15.8M expiring contract.

Can you give me an example of a "star" level player that you think could be acquired using KPJ's contract?

12. xiki

xiki Member

KPJ = a salary dump, ala Fournier. I don’t suggest this at all.

KOJ = a contributing piece to a wider Dame and/or Harden deal? Now, that’s wheelhouse time.

13. aelliott

aelliott Member

The Rockets are free to trade or waive him. Those aren't punishments, those are just NBA transactions which teams are free to make. Of course, you'd still owe him his $15.8M in guarenteed money if you cut him. Teams can waive whoever they like as long as they honor the player's contract.

What isn't allowed is for him to be punished by both the league and team for the same offense. The league takes precedence, regardless of the timing. If they are investigating a player and decide to suspend or fine them, his team can't suspend or fine them for the same offense. It's not that the team can't punish them, only that the team can't punish them if the league is punishing them. You can only be punished once for an offense.

heypartner likes this.
  14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

By itself, no. With other contracts/picks, Siakim would be available if the Rockets want to pay the price and are willing to risk Siakim leaving after this year (may need to wait closer to opening day for some contracts to be trade). Without knowing Siakim's intensions, hard to take that risk.

Right now, I think the Rockets are trying to get a comparable contract that would be on the books for this season such that they don't have to make a big trade in such a small window.

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

Exactly. And I don't get the whole "well there's no harm in trying, Stone is just doing his job to improve the roster, blah blah" people.

No... there actually is harm in trying in this case. Not that the reputation of the organization is at a high point or anything, but the fact that they tried to wheel and deal on this contract to try and save Tillman a few bucks BEFORE ever releasing any sort of statement or anything stating any sort of principled position on domestic violence speaks volumes. It tells the entire NBA world, and the larger sports landscape that pays any attention to this that a greedy billionaire owner cares more about his pocket book than he does victims on domestic violence that his team has harbored and provided cover for years.

What's the harm in trying.... well... there is actually harm in trying folks in this case. Again... not that the reputation of Tillman Fertitta and Rafael Stone can get much worse.

Invisible Fan and YOLO like this.
  16. aelliott

aelliott Member

You're going to need to include waaaaay more than an expiring deal to get Siakam.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think Toronto is at 40-41 wins, without FVV probably around 38 W and Schroeder.

18. aelliott

aelliott Member

If you're going to get in on a big deal like that, then you're contribution is going to be young players with good upside or appealing draft picks. Lots of teams have expiring deals.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Really, you think Tillman is worried about his reputation? REALLY?

I disagree there is any permanent harm being done.

DD

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

That is why I said "By itself, no. With other contracts/picks". To acquire Siakim, the Rockets need matching salary and compensation of some form to complete that kind of transaction. The Rockets have the picks to make that kind of trade. Matching Siakim's contract is much easier with a random ~15M or so expiring.

Personally, I think odds are very low the Rockets trade KPJ, and if they do, odds are even lower that the Rockets can use an expiring in a trade for someone valuable. Just because something is unlikely does not mean close the door automatically. If moving KPJ is cheap enough, it might be worth the risk.

Rockets have seemed more willing than most to have salaries hang around just in case.

#180 Joe Joe, Sep 14, 2023