1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Idea: Troy Murphy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Furious Jam, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Member

To Houston:
    Troy Murphy

To Golden State:
    Luther Head
    Dikembe Mutumbo
    Bob Sura
    2007 1st round pick

What Houston gets:
    Murphy is a bruising rebounder with a sweet shot who fits in perfectly with JVG's slow-down-and-dump-the-ball to Yao offense. As a bonus, Murphy also has the size/weight to take minutes at backup center. Plus, Murphy is the same age as Yao, so they can grow together. Also, we can afford to lose Head once Bonzi gets back.

What Golden State gets:
    Mostly cap relief. They've got lots of young big men behind Murphy, who doesn't really fit Don Nelson's run-n-gun style, so they're at least interested in moving his large contract. Plus, they could use Head as a backup PG, since I don't see a legit one on their roster (which is especially troubling given Baron's history of poor health). Finally, every rebuilding team could use another 1st round pick.

PG: Alston
    SG: McGrady
    SF: Battier
    PF: Murphy
    C: Yao

Bench: V-Span (or Lucas), Bonzi, Hayes, Snyder, Novak, Howard, Padgett

All in all, I think our main weaknesses are size at PF and consistent outside shooting. Murphy addresses both of those concerns.

2. Summer Song Giver

3. imoffg33

imoffg33 Member

wow, that would be alot for troy murphy. im not seeing anything special that he gives us.

4. jopatmc

jopatmc Member

Makes too much money.

Plays no defense.

Shoots a low percentage.

No No No.

5. durvasa

durvasa Member

Rebounding and a perimeter shooting big. His defense is sketchy, but those two attributes are still attractive.

I don't see why Golden State would do this trade, honestly. It would effectively be a swap of Troy Murphy for Luther Head.

6. jdrock

jdrock Member

First of all.. Uh.. no.

Now for a more intelligent retort.

Why would you do this?

1. Mutombo and Sura are likely in their last year, which means -we- free up some cash for next year. Assuming we can drop Sura's contract next year, that frees up a total $6 million, which can be used to sign a quality player.

2. Luther Head is showing he can become a quality guard. If not a starter, definitely a worthwhile 1/2-guard sub. Our style of play depends on quality 3-pt. shooters, and Head is one of them.

3. Hayes is also showing he's got what it takes to be competitive in this league. Granted, he most likley won't be putting up the same numbers from the Grizzlies game every night, but he's a solid player now, and can be depended on. Not to mention, he does what we need from the 4 spot - collect rebounds. Murphy has averaged 8 rebounds over his career. Hayes is averaging 6 right now. A few rebounds here and there isn't going to make a difference.

4. We have no idea what Bonzi will do for us at this point. He may be awesome, or he may just be a giant blob of lard weighing down the right side of the bench. And he does not replace Head. Head and Bonzi are very different players, needed for different things.

5. You need a quality backup center in this league to get a championship. I don't care if you're the ultimate small-ball team, every championship team in recent history has had an elite big man backed up by a decent big man. Our need for a good backup center is even greater with the stamina and foul issues Yao has. Murphy cannot be counted on to start the 4 position -and- backup the 5.

7. durvasa

durvasa Member

Who was Hakeem's backup in the championship years? Charles Jones? Carl Herrera?

8. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Member

Head and cap space, plus the 1st rounder. What was Steve Francis traded for? You can make these kind of deals in today's NBA.

Also, I think that JVG's system can make a decent defender out of anyone who is willing to work. No, Murphy won't chase down guards to block their shots, but you can't expect us to acquire a guy who can do everything in exchange for basically Luther Head. Right now, bigger PFs can overpower Battier, Hayes, Padgett, and Howard. It'd be nice to have some size. Also, Deke looks about done, so I really like Murphy playing minutes at 5, especially in today's league, where a smaller 5 can work a lot of times.

9. durvasa

durvasa Member

Good points.

10. professorjay

professorjay Member

Lot's of trade ideas popping up. At this pace we'll have a higher turnover rate than McDonald's.

11. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Member

Poor defensive stopper, makes to much dough and has no inside game! Overprice and has no spots in our roster. And with Luther Head as part of the trade. Don't think so!

GO ROCKETS!

12. rocket3forlife2

boy that was a dumb trade idea!

13. saviorlh

saviorlh Member

yeah on playstation......

14. koopa

koopa Member

I like bruising players. Trade accepted

15. jdrock

jdrock Member

I thought I said recent years?

16. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

What happens next year when Bonzi decides to leave?

17. rocketmingles

rocketmingles Member

Please!!!! Stop "trading" Head
    We need his agressiveness and 3 pointers off the bench, he's the ONE consistant 3 point threat we have beside Shane

well, on the other side, he's the only trade asset we can offer...

18. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

QUIT SMOKING POT!

19. emjohn

emjohn Member

I wouldn't agree with this statement - Nelson was quick to make him the starting center in their system because of his outside shooting (Dirk style center). Unfortunately, his rebounding (should be at 10 per) has suffered badly.

Evan

20. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Member

Now really, I'm all for robust and unhindered discussion in this forum. But I've got to object to this response as being juvenile, boorish, and, worst of all, pointless. I've been on this board long enough to know that the vast majority of its members aren't interest in reading this, or perhaps anything else you have to say. Accordingly, I'm going to put you on my ignore list and suggest that others do the same.