1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 6 Starting P's

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Miller, Reynolds, Oswalt, Redding, Hernandez, and Mlicki have pitched 46 innings, given up 10 runs, for an ERA of 1.96.

Has any team ever tried to run a 6 man rotation to keep its pitchers fresh for the playoffs?

I'd like to see the Astros run this occasionally like maybe once every 5th rotation. This would help the long reliever get some work. Most of the starters are coming off injuries or it just seems that way.

The starters may be able to go longer and thus put less pressure on the bullpen. It would prevent dead arms. If someone gets hammered early or injured, the next starter can take over.

It might also prevent injuries.

Its farfetched, but if you have depth - why not use it?

2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It is really not such a bad idea. I believe the Yankees have tried it in the past, with mixed success. Odds are, however, that either Reynolds will reinjure himself, or Mlicki will pitch himself out of a job in the first month or so of the season. So I think any experiment with a 6 man rotation would be merely academic.

And unless the 6th man pitches about as well as the 1st man, this would really just serve to take away starts from your best pitcher (in our case, Oswalt or Miller).

3. PhiSlammaJamma

I'm a supporter of the 4 man rotation myself. At playoff time. Cut it down to three.

4. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

With 4 days off in April, the stros will shirley go with a 4 man rotation. After that it is a possibility.

5. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No they won't, and don't call me Shirley!

(sorry had to do it)

Does anybody else remember Tony LaRussa's horible experiment several years ago with pitching guys for like 3 innings every three days? That didn't work out to well....

I think that any manager who messes around with something like this, where all the consequences are not known better be willing to accept that some of the pitchers might get injured, perhaps perminantly. For all we know, an extra day of rest might cause the tendons in the arm to tighten up and become more succeptable to injury.

6. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I thought it was common for some clubs to start off in a 4 man rotation.

6-man rotation won't work. They may have too much rest, and to be frank, they wouldn't meet some of the incentives in their contract.

7. haven

haven Member

The 4 man rotation's really only feasible now when you have a nice combination of off-days. Pitchers get injured more often, and can't go as deep into the pitch count.

However, many pitches report feeling "over-rested" on 5 days of rest. Besides, it's inefficient: there's NO evidence that it's beneficial, and it means that Oswalt and Miller are starting less. And we want them as much as possible, without hurting them.

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The Astros have a number of off days in April, but they also have 3 stretches where they play at least 5 games in 5 days (they start the season with 9 games in 9 days, so I suspect the 5th starter will be bumped from his 2nd start).

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I just wish there was a way to get both Redding and Hernandez in there without injuries to others. I just get the feeling Mlicki will start. Ugh.

Experimentation is left best to the bad teams I guess.