1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 4 pick or Bust!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Trackwell, Jan 17, 2021.

  1. RocketsLegend

    RocketsLegend Member

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2015
    Messages:
    6,533
    Likes Received:
    1,402
    I'm kind of lost with the pick situation. Rockets own their 2021 draft pick and also own Wizards 2021 first-round pick? What picks did they trade to OKC?

    Edit: The wizards pick is for 2023 and is portected
     
    #1621 RocketsLegend, Mar 13, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    saleem likes this.
  2. Reeko

    Reeko Member
    Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2017
    Messages:
    28,598
    Likes Received:
    77,382
  3. DatRocketFan

    DatRocketFan Member

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2015
    Messages:
    4,899
    Likes Received:
    5,983
    15 l in a roll and we still not dead last. Jeezus
     
    D-rock likes this.
  4. D-rock

    D-rock Member

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2006
    Messages:
    32,938
    Likes Received:
    49,145
  5. jerryclark

    jerryclark Member

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2018
    Messages:
    1,895
    Likes Received:
    2,251
    Count your blessings. The nba is rigged. Rockets are obviously keeping their pick. I highly doubt silver is going to let a team this trash and hopeless run out there another year
     
    Trackwell, TheRealist137 and HP3 like this.
  6. D-rock

    D-rock Member

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2006
    Messages:
    32,938
    Likes Received:
    49,145
  7. HP3

    HP3 Member

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2018
    Messages:
    16,490
    Likes Received:
    20,844
    If we dont get the number one pick like maybe 2-4....who likes Green?
     
    Corrosion and D-rock like this.
  8. sirjesse

    sirjesse We don't need another Herro.
    Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2002
    Messages:
    2,243
    Likes Received:
    4,009
    upload_2021-3-13_20-42-17.gif
     
    saleem and D-rock like this.
  9. sirjesse

    sirjesse We don't need another Herro.
    Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2002
    Messages:
    2,243
    Likes Received:
    4,009
    upload_2021-3-13_20-43-45.gif upload_2021-3-13_20-43-45.gif
     
    conquistador#11 and D-rock like this.
  10. RocketsLegend

    RocketsLegend Member

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2015
    Messages:
    6,533
    Likes Received:
    1,402
    what must happen in order for the Rockets to keep their pick and not trade up?
     
  11. SRR21

    SRR21 Member

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2012
    Messages:
    1,051
    Likes Received:
    996
    End season 1-4 then get lucky and stay there.
     
    conquistador#11 and saleem like this.
  12. saleem

    saleem Contributing Member

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2001
    Messages:
    27,526
    Likes Received:
    10,695
    I would like SGA for two FRP's, the 33rd pick plus Tate and call it a day. I admit I don't see OKC biting on it.
     
  13. PhiSlammaJamma

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 1999
    Messages:
    26,371
    Likes Received:
    4,823
    Harden or Bust, funny.
     
  14. conquistador#11

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2006
    Messages:
    29,850
    Likes Received:
    10,050
    How many teams have finished 1-4 and ended up 5th or higher due to the lottery balls in the past 10 years?
    2006 was the last time I was thrilled for the NBA draft
     
  15. BimaThug

    BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 1999
    Messages:
    8,239
    Likes Received:
    4,366
    Current lottery rules (moving from 3 up to 4 lottery picks; reduced lottery odds for worst teams) have only been in place for a couple of seasons. Hard to pull historical precedent on these rules.
     
  16. xiki

    xiki Contributing Member

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2002
    Messages:
    16,580
    Likes Received:
    2,158
    52% chance of staying Top 4, yes? So, could be a ‘coin flip’...
     
  17. SuperKev

    SuperKev Contributing Member

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 1999
    Messages:
    1,591
    Likes Received:
    476
    No matter how you look at it you have to be extremely lucky for genuine success in the draft.

    1. You roll the dice for picks. Max odds possible for #1 pick is just 14%.
    2. Worst team odds of getting 1-4 just 52%.
    3. Odds are high pick will be either a bust or simply an average player. (Greg Oden, Fultz, Stromile Swift, CandyMan, Jay Williams, Robert Traylor, Thabeet, Anthony Bennett, Shawn Bradley, Kwame Brown, Darko and countless MORE)
    4. If the pick winds up being a winner odds of them being productive 1st or 2nd year are low.
    5. If you DO get the next LeBron James they can easily pull a Harden and force a trade to LA, NY etc.

    So if you beat the odds and get the pick you then must beat the odds for them to be productive, for that to happen reasonably soon and for them to be sufficiently satisfied to actually stay in Houston.

    This is why it's vastly more predictable to build the team through assets and negotiation.
     
    D-rock likes this.
  18. conquistador#11

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2006
    Messages:
    29,850
    Likes Received:
    10,050
    My post brought Bimathug to the yard! This is like when Hallie Jackson retweeted me. My day here is done. Good night all.
     
  19. Trackwell

    Trackwell Member

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2008
    Messages:
    945
    Likes Received:
    566
    I disagree with this- Default is we get a top 4 pick

    We need to be scouting as deep as possible in the draft regardless, but I look at this glass half full- not glass half empty -we have a 52% chance not 48%!!!


    Let’s get it
     
  20. D-rock

    D-rock Member

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2006
    Messages:
    32,938
    Likes Received:
    49,145
    On a happier note.

     
    everyday eddie and Trackwell like this.

Share This Page

  • About ClutchFans

    Since 1996, ClutchFans has been loud and proud covering the Houston Rockets, helping set an industry standard for team fan sites. The forums have been a home for Houston sports fans as well as basketball fanatics around the globe.

  • Support ClutchFans!

    If you find that ClutchFans is a valuable resource for you, please consider becoming a Supporting Member. Supporting Members can upload photos and attachments directly to their posts, customize their user title and more. Gold Supporters see zero ads!


    Upgrade Now