1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 25 Shooting Guards

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RocketsInFlight, Aug 7, 2002.

1. RocketsInFlight

Below is my Top 25 Shooting Guard list. In parenthesis are the players rank from my last Top 25 list (April 23, 2002). HM = Honorable Mention, NR = Not Ranked, and SF = Ranked as a SF. Members of the Rockets are in bold. Then there is my Honorable Mention (players 26-30 in alphabetical order), my Top 5 Backups, and my Top 5 Rookies.

<b><u>Top 25 Shooting Guards:</b></u>
    01) Kobe Bryant, LAL (2)
    02) Tracy McGrady, ORL (1)
    03) Allen Iverson, PHI (3)
    04) Vince Carter, TOR (4)
    05) Ray Allen, MIL (5)
    06) Michael Finley, DAL (6)
    07) Jerry Stackhouse, DET (7)
    08) Eddie Jones, MIA (8)
    <b>09) Cuttino Mobley, HOU (9)</b>
    10) Bonzi Wells, POR (11)
    11) Wally Szczeribak, MIN (10)
    12) Reggie Miller, IND (12)
    13) Doug Christie, SAC (13)
    14) Allan Houston, NYK (14)
    15) Brent Barry, SEA (15)
    16) Jason Richardson, GSW (HM)
    17) Richard Hamilton, WAS (16)
    18) Aaron McKie, PHI (17)
    19) Derek Anderson, POR (18)
    20) Quentin Richardson, LAC (HM)
    21) Ricky Davis, CLE (NR)
    22) Michael Redd, FA (NR)
    23) Steve Smith, SAS (19)
    24) David Wesley, NOR (22)
    25) Kerry Kittles, NJN (21)

<b><u>Honorable Mention:</b></u>
    Michael Dickerson, MEM (24); Penny Hardaway, PHO (20); Ron Mercer, IND (25); Mike Miller, ORL (NR); James Posey, DEN (SF)

<b><u>Top 5 Backups:</b></u>
    01) Aaron McKie, PHI
    02) Michael Redd, MIL?
    03) Mike Miller, ORL
    04) Ron Mercer, IND
    05) Penny Hardaway, PHO

<b><u>Top 5 Rookies:</b></u>
    01) Kareem Rush, LAL
    02) Emanual Ginobili, SAS
    03) Jiri Welsch, GSW
    04) Fred Jones, IND
    05) Casey Jacobsen, PHO

2. aLfaBoLoUs1

aLfaBoLoUs1 Member

i like your list, your top 10 sgs are right on the money, the only thing i might disagree with is where u put Cat, guess i'm a lil biased as a rox fan.....

i think he's better than eddie jones, hes younger, quicker and a better shooter, the only thing is eddie actually plays D, so they're about equal if Cat's not ahead

the other thing is stackhouse, stack was an all-star so he should be ahead but he's very inconsistent and he has no one else on his team, he pretty much had the green light to score at will, his D is the same as Cat....

and then Finley, he was injured for a lot of last season, he is stronger than Cat, but Cat is quicker and is a better shooter, a lil edge would have to go to Finley, he has more experience too....

so Cat could go as high as six if u look at some things, but nine isnt too bad, those r my comments, awesome list tho!

3. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

To me, Szcerbiak really isn't a guard, he's a SF. The Wolves play him at guard because it's a zone, so it doesn't matter so much if a quicker player (aka, every guard in the league under 30) gets by him; Garnett, Smith, and Nesterovic are waiting to block the poor soul's shot. The benefit, of course, is to give him a size advantage at the offensive end. Wally is very accomplished at shooting over people.

Jones seems high.

Kittles and Dickerson seem low.

4. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

Cat should be ahead of Eddie Jones. Cuttino is a much better scorer then Jones. Jones has the advantage on defense, but overal Cuttino is a better player.

5. jams3y

jams3y Member

i'd switch eddie jones and bonzi wells, don't really care past that.

6. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

I thought Mike Miller was a small forward. Darek Anderson should also be higher up on that list. Maybe around number 15.

7. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

I'd have Carter under Finley too. Unless you are taking marketability into account.

8. mfclark

mfclark Member

The top 10 is fairly accurate for overall play.

However, I think players like Q, Kittles, Redd, and Barry are being underrated while Ricky Davis is vastly overrated and other players like Allan Houston, Doug Christie, and Derek Anderson are just slightly overrated.

Ron Mercer and Penny Hardaway are nothing more than overpayed backups; a combo guard like Erick Strickland or Tony Delk is a better backup than either of those players, especially Mercer.

LAfadeaway - the way the Magic play, Miller is interchangeable with McGrady at SF or SG.

9. Stevie Francis

its good, i won't put cat over jones, becasue jones has been puting up good numbers for a long time now. and cat just started to get big numbers

10. tozai

tozai Member

Agree with the top 5. Stack at 6, Finley at 7, Mobley at 8

Otherwise the list is pretty fair, but Kittles is definitely better than Wesley.

11. Jack Frost

Jack Frost Member

Its kinda hard to make a top 5 shooting guard list being tha tTmac and V Carter and STack play sf and sometimes evne start at sf on tehre teams. But by that list shouldnt be in the top 5. The only thing he has that others dont is hops. Heres my top 10

01) Kobe Bryant, LAL (2)
    02) Tracy McGrady, ORL (1)
    03) Allen Iverson, PHI (3)
    04) Mike Fin, Dal(5)
    05) Ray Allen, Mil (6)
    06) Vince Carter, TOR
    07) Cuttino Mobley, HOU (9)
    08) Jerry Stackhouse, DET (7)
    09) Eddie Jones, MIA (8)
    10) Bonzi Wells, POR (11)

My ranking was really based on what I saw in the playoffs alot of people dont rank Finley high because he missed out on teh playoffs which was do to injury. Eddie Jones is more of a defensive plaeyr and tho he can shoot the ball not a better shooter than the guys in front of him. Bonzi had pretty much 1 good year when it wa slast year he could move up ebcause I think he does have potential. If AI wasnt a 1 man team I wouldnt even rank him right there but being he has to carry the load Ill go head and give him the benefit of the doubt.