1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tony Allen arrested, could face up to five years in prison

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by foodworld, Oct 21, 2005.

1. foodworld

foodworld Member

http://www.suntimes.com/output/basketball/cst-nws-celitcs21.html

Boston Celtics guard charged with felony in West Loop brawl

October 21, 2005

BY ROMAN MODROWSKI Staff Reporter

Boston Celtics guard and former Crane High School star Tony Allen was charged Thursday with aggravated battery, a Class 3 felony punishable by probation or up to five years in prison, the Chicago Sun-Times has learned.

He is expected to appear in Bond Court today.

The charge stems from a brawl and shooting incident at the White Palace Grill in the West Loop in the early morning of Aug. 28.

Allen isn't a suspect in the shooting of Marktwain Johnson, 29, who was wounded in his left arm and left side.

But Allen, 23, allegedly was involved in a brawl that broke out moments before the shooting. Nigel Odum, 24, claims Allen punched him and fractured his left eye socket.

Johnson and Odum are suing Allen.

The lawsuit alleges Allen instigated the altercation and that he tapped the shooter on the chest and said, "F--- him up," referring to Johnson. The shooter allegedly was a member of Allen's entourage that early morning.

Allen, Johnson and Odum all had attended a party earlier in the evening for Celtics guard Will Bynum, who also prepped at Crane. The party was at 212 on the River, which is a club on Canal.

Allen's lawyer had no comment late Thursday.

Team officials express dismay

Allen was tight-lipped with investigators Thursday, and was involved in at least one police lineup, according to one of the law-enforcement sources who confirmed the charges.

Meanwhile, Celtics management expressed its dismay with Allen, who was expected to play a key role after a solid rookie year last season.

"I'm frustrated that Tony got himself into this situation," Boston general manager Danny Ainge said to the Boston Herald. ''We're letting Tony and his attorney handle it.''

The 6-foot 4-inch, 213-pound Allen averaged 6.4 points and 2.9 rebounds and was selected to play in the Rookie Challenge during All-Star weekend last season.

"He never should have put himself in that situation," Boston coach Glenn "Doc" Rivers, who is from Maywood, told the Herald before the charges came. "The bottom line is I think Tony is a good kid -- I think he wants to be a good kid -- and I think he put himself in a horrible situation. Now we've just got to hope he gets out of it."

Allen underwent surgery on his right knee Sept. 14. It's not certain what impact the fight had on the severity of Allen's knee injury.

2. foodworld

foodworld Member

I his "buddies" roll on him, he could be facing serious jail time. Attempted murder is no joke.

3. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

White Palace Grill is a place where drunks, including the author of this post, have gone to fill their bellies with fatty food at odd hours. A semi-famous place downtown, and while everyone is usually feeling no pain, it's not a place where you want to make a lot of eye contact.

A guy like Tony Allen wouldn't be able to big league in a place like that. Hell, I saw 35-40 C's games last year, and I still wouldn't be able to pick Tony out of a lineup if he were in street clothes -- especially if it was 5am and I was trying to get a dog and fries.

#3 KellyDwyer, Oct 21, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2005
  4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Guys, guys! We're missing the most important part of the article.

How deranged do you have to be to name a kid Marktwain?

Oh wait, I think my buddy EdgarAPoe is mad at me now....