1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tonight's Game Was One That the Rockets Had Trouble With Last Season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Manny Ramirez, Nov 6, 2001.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I think everyone here except Nuggets4 and NugzFan, well maybe even those 2, are expecting a Rockets victory, as a matter of fact an easy Rockets victory. Well, these are the types of games that worry me. Yes, it's nice to get a so-called breather of a game, but how many times did we see the Rockets lose to some bad teams last season aka the Nets, the Celtics, the Clippers, and the Nuggets?

Tonight will be a good indication to see if the Rockets can keep their intensity going. They better or Nick Van Exel will join Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Elton Brand, Kevin Garnett, Penny Hardaway & Stephon Marbury as another good player who goes off against us.

I'm guessing that the game will be alot closer than people think, but the Rockets pull away in the 2nd half for another W. But, I can easily see us losing this game, if we don't do a better job of attacking these hybrid zones that teams are running against us. It would be great to see Glen Rice and/or Walt Williams to start to heat up from the outside.

2. cson

cson Contributing Member

I don't really pay attention to the Nugs, but didn't they get smaller? That'll help.

3. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Well, one of the missing people showed up against Phoenix(Moochie). Our offense is much better when Moochie plays with confidence and takes a freaking shot!!!
    Now, I think it might be time for Walt to get it going a little bit. Looks like it might still take Rice a little bit more time. But coming off the big fourth quarter on sunday as a whole, they should be more confident in their shots tonight.
    But u r right manny, if van axel goes for like 40, it might be hard to beat them. hell, thats only like 5 points over his average right now!! Steve, just remember your rookie season when van axel ouplayed u, u had 0 points, and the Rox lost by 20. If that doesnt pump u up, nothing will!!!!!! I think van axel will be held to 29, with not so good shooting and the Rox win by 12.

4. mfgarza

mfgarza Contributing Member

That was the difference in us missing the playoffs last season. We went 2-6 vs LAC and Denver. Totally inexcusable. Well so far, we're 1-0 vs those teams.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

There does seem to be a difference this year, Manny. I've read and heard some very encouraging things from Francis...and Moochie, too. They both have said how they watched tape with coaches for a couple hours last week preparing for game day. I can't remember which game...I'm hoping all of them.

What it sounds like is Francis is preparing better for each game, and I can certainly say that he is taking each possession a lot more serious this year. He really is leading this team now out of preparation and intensity, imo.

The other thing I heard from Moochie and Walt was how they were talking a lot on the court and timeouts in the 4th against Phoenix, discussion the situations and what they were going to do. Man, did those two (and Willis) execute the 3 on 3 to perfection for about 6 minutes. Mobley and Francis simply spotted up in the two corners and drew sooo much attention that the lane was wide open so Walt, Willis and Moochie could run some classic motion, 3 on 3 straight down the lane.

You're right Manny. We lost many "easy" games for lack of intensity early. Good news is we can fix a lot of those losses this year simply by taking the game more serious...the mental aspect that all the team is talking about this year.

I agree; this is a good test of that. Let's all pray that Van Exel isn't unconcious tonight.

6. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

A sleeper matchup is Scot Williams on Kenny Thomas, a big size and rebounding mismatch for us. Hopefully Cato won't get in early foul trouble with Raef and helping KT.

Steve, Mooch and Cat all know Van Exel from playing him all summer in Houston. There was mention in the Chronicle about how he never went off this summer like he has a couple games this year.

Maybe Willis will lay one of those 17 point 20 rebound games on the Nugz like he did on us last year for them.

Rice should be ready to rip for a change, he's due :cool:

7. DLS

DLS Member

Of course last year that had this one guy, forget his name, scored like 40 points and 20 rebounds on us, man handled us. I believe his name starts with a "Mc"......

This should be somewhat of a challenge even withouth McDyess. Even if Van E. goes off, we should still win it.

8. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I'm glad Willis isn't still on their team. You can say what you want about Nick, but he comes to play, don't turn the ball over and will kill you on that hesitation move. The Rockets should win and hopefully we can put it away early. We have some clear advantages over them in this game, but they played the Bucks pretty good a couple of nights ago. People forget that Denver went a couple of games over .500 against the west last yr so they were no slouches. If McDyess was there, I'd throw them in that group of teams fighting for 5-8 seeds like the Rockets, but he's in street clothes. They need to win tonight and against Philly, bcause after that the schedule gets real ugly.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm looking to Willis to make sure we don't lose this game. He has some pride to defend.

10. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Good point Manny,

I thought about this after the phoenix win. I remember the Rockets, last year, were on a roll early in the season, and then they lost to Denver 102-100 at home. That was a game Houston should not have lost, by any means.

This game vs. Denver will determine if Mobley, Francis and the boys have matured or not.

11. outlaw

outlaw Member

While the Nugz are here tonight how about trading Kelvin Cato & Dan Langhi for Raef LaFrentz & Calbert Cheaney ?

Raef is as good a shotblocker as Kelvin and his shooting range would help the Rockets spacing on offense.

Langhi would get more opportunities in Denver and could develop into a Kiki Vandewehge type of forward. He might even be able to start at SF if Posey could start at SG (since Tariq is always injured and McCloud is shooting .167 and Rider was supposedly waived)

Denver gets rid of a distraction in Raef and won't have to worry about free agency next summer for their center spot.

12. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Outlaw,

maybe you could get the Nugs to throw Ian Roberts into the deal while their in such a giving mood ;)

13. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

This will be a good game to watch.