1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tom Willis of "The Jeffersons" Dies

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lil Pun, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

Franklin Cover Passes Away

LOS ANGELES - Franklin Cover, who became a familiar face as George and Louise Jefferson's white neighbor in the long-running TV sitcom "The Jeffersons," has died, his publicist said Thursday. He was 77.

Cover died of pneumonia Sunday at the Lillian Booth Actor's Fund of America home in Englewood, N.J., said publicist Dale Olson. He had been living at the home since December 2005 while recuperating from a heart condition.

In his nearly six decades in show business, Cover made numerous appearances on television shows, including "The Jackie Gleason Show," "All in the Family," "Who's the Boss?" "Will & Grace," "Living Single," "Mad About You" and "ER."

He began his career on the stage, appearing in Shakespeare's "Hamlet" and "Henry IV," and later in numerous Broadway productions, including "Any Wednesday," "Wild Honey and "Born Yesterday."

But Cover was best known for his role as Tom Willis, who was in an interracial marriage with a black woman, in "The Jeffersons."

He and his wife lived in the same "deluxe apartment building" that
    Sherman Hemsley moved his family to after making money in the dry-cleaning business. There, Cover often played a comic foil to Hemsley's blustering, opinionated black businessman. The show ran from 1975 to 1985.

Cover also appeared in several films, including "The Great Gatsby," "The Stepford Wives" and "Wall Street."

He is survived by his widow, Mary, a son and a daughter.

2. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Member

RIP you jive turkey!

3. Uprising

Uprising Member

RIP dude.

I'm putting this picture so others who don't know them by their real name know who it was. I didn't know.

[​IMG]

4. jo mama

jo mama Member

RIP honkey!

have yall ever heard that sherman helmsley took lsd throughout the entire series? supposedly he was tripping for about 75% of the tapings.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

RIP

He seemed a good guy and decent Actor

He played that role perfectly

Rocket River

6. Stickfigure

Stickfigure Member

Somewhere, Lenny Kravitz sheds a tear.

7. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Member

haha, that wasn't his real dad, silly!! :rolleyes:

Somewhere, Mr. Bently is walking on someone's back.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I've never heard this before... are you sure about this? Or is this one of those "I read it on a forum somewhere" deals? :D

9. jo mama

jo mama Member

http://www.austinchronicle.com/issues/vol18/issue14/cols.smartypants.html

this is the only link i could find on google. i live in austin, so this must be where i read it. i know its only unnamed 1 source, which is questionable at best, but it still sounds good to me. :D
    wheezy in the sky with diamonds