1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Tom Clancy fans

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by keeley, Mar 5, 2002.

1. keeley

keeley Contributing Member

I haven't seen this posted, and I'm sure there are some in da hizzouse (I'm so fly)...
    Sum of All Fears trailer

I couldn't quite tell how faithful the movie is to the novel. It remains one of my favorite Clancy books, and I hope they do it justice. One detail I noticed from the trailer and from reading about it at Coming Attractions is that Ryan and Cathy are dating. I thought I remembered them being married already. I believe this book was set after Patriot Games in which he was married with a daughter...?

Also I couldn't tell much about the terrorists' background from the trailer and I wonder if that was changed around in consideration of sensibilities. For instance, according to a source at Coming Attractions, Harrison Ford wouldn't reprise the role of Ryan due to a few issues, one of which was that the terrorists in a movie that he would do could only be American militia types instead of Native Americans or Arabs.

Anybody excited? Anybody like the series? Movie comes out, best I can tell, on May 31st this year.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I've read all of Clancy's Jack Ryan/Clark series except the Bear and the Dragon...I'll certainly go see this movie...but i'm disappointed it's not Harrison Ford...and I'm disappointed they're moving back in time from previous movies in this series

3. treeman

treeman Member

Clancy has said that Ford is older than the Jack Ryan he's envisioned, and has refused to allow anyone rights unless he gets to pick the next Ryan. Jack and Cathy were married in the book.

I can't wait to see this one... It was always my favorite. And the bad guy's got Osama written all over him.

4. keeley

keeley Contributing Member

Bah. On the Yahoo page there is the following blurb:

The fourth film starring Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan character, this time Ben Affleck stars in the role made famous by Harrison Ford. In this installment, European neo-Nazi terrorists acquire a nuclear device and plan to use it at the Super Bowl, blaming the attack on Russia in the hopes of rekindling the Cold War. Luckily, CIA analyst Jack Ryan is on the case.

In the book, the terrorists were Arab.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

why is there a need to be "sensitive" on this issue??? want this story to appear more real...make them Arab terrorists...it's the way the book was written and it's the most likely scenario in this country.

who are we being sensitive to??? the Arabs?? the victims' families of 9/11??? i just don't understand this.

the Bobby Knight story airs on ESPN this week and he will be throwing f-bombs all across the air waves...we chalk that up to "being true to the story." here we have a guy write a book about a situation that seems all too possible, but we can't talk about it because it might upset someone. interesting

6. treeman

treeman Member

What??? Neo-Nazis???

Jesus. He won't let Ford play Ryan, but he'll allow them to completely change the plotline? Ridiculous. I don't even know if I'll bother seeing it now.

7. Nomar

Nomar Member

I don't mind the plot changing so much as the Ben Afleck thing. I can't really stand him at all, and Ford is one of my favorite actors. Go figure.