1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Todd Haley Fired in Kansas City

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Lil Pun, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7...efs-fire-coach-todd-haley-struggling-team-5-8

The Kansas City Chiefs fired coach Todd Haley on Monday, effective immediately.

The team did not name an interim coach in their statement announcing the move.

"This was a difficult decision but one that we feel is best for the future of the Chiefs," Chiefs chairman and CEO Clark Hunt said in a statement. "Although there have been bright spots at different points this season, we have not made meaningful progress and we felt that it was necessary to make a change. We appreciate Todd's contributions during his time with the club, and we wish him well in the future."

The Chiefs won the AFC West title last year but have stumbled to a 5-8 record this season. Quarterback Matt Cassel is out for the season with a hand injury and the team's offense has sputtered behind backup QB Tyler Palko.

Kansas City was 19-27 during Haley's tenure.

"Todd helped this team in many valuable ways over the past three seasons, and I am thankful for his contributions," Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli said in the statement. "Unfortunately, we have not been able to establish the kind of consistency we need to continue to build a strong foundation for the future and we believe a change is important at this time."

2. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

AlbertBreer Albert Breer
    The obvious storyline here is the rift between GM Scott Pioli and coach Todd Haley. It's too bad that relationship went so sour.

JasonLaCanfora Jason La Canfora
    Chiefs website announces Todd Haley fired. Timing a little surprising but not this outcome. Josh McDaniels will be a strong candidate

AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
    Chiefs have told members of their organization that DC Romeo Crennel will be their interim head coach. His first game will be vs. Packers.

AlbertBreer Albert Breer
    Here's another name to make sure you keep in mind with Chiefs -- Kirk Ferentz. He and Pioli are very close, Pioli tried to get him in 2009.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It was obvious to me performance on the field couldn't have been the reason. Had to be a personality conflict.

Mods, please combine threads. Mine was a hair late.

4. rstevens386

rstevens386 New Member

I would think that seeing how McDaniels did in Denver would be a strong strike against him here.

5. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

They had key injuries to Jamaal Charles, Berry, and Cassel. Seems a bit unfair.

6. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Two games both Cassel and Charles started:
    Bills 41, Chiefs 7
    Lions 48, Chiefs 3

Haley is not a good head coach. I follow the Chiefs pretty closely and he always seemed in over his head to me, and tried to compensate for that by acting like a hard-ass.

That team has a lot of talent (not due to him) and that's the reason they made it to the playoffs last year.

7. YourSecretLover

i was watching the jets-chiefs game yesterday and the chiefs were a total embarrassment. not surprised at all.

8. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Even before I read all the tweets and stories about this firing, I figured that it had more to do with personality conflicts than it did football. Haley is an intense guy and that only goes over well when the team is winning.

9. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Major mistake was trading for Matt Cassel.

Haley's personality was bound to catch up with him at some point. When you lose, you better calm your ass down. OC for life.

Not everyone is made for being a head coach.