1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

TNT signs Barkley to studio deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by djones, Mar 6, 2000.

1. djones

djones Member

ATLANTA (CNNSI.com) When Charles Barkley left his final game in December, injured against the Philadelphia 76ers, he quipped, "Just what America needs, one more unemployed black man."

Barkley didn't stay unemployed long; he has agreed to a multiyear deal with Turner Sports, it was announced Monday. The 15-year veteran will be a studio analyst on TNT telecasts. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Barkley was one of three players in NBA history to have 20,000 points, 10,000 rebounds and 4,000 assists. The 11-time all-star played for Philadelphia, Phoenix and Houston and was league MVP for the 1992-93 season while he was with the Suns.

He was always known for his wit and candor while a player. Once he appeared on Saturday Night Live and battered Barney the dinosaur in a hysterical game of one-on-one. He also could leave you laughing even if with a wince. At his trial for throwing a man through a window at an Orlando night club in 1997, Barkley expressed his one regret to the judge: "I regret we weren't on a higher floor."

Barkley's first assignment will be Tuesday night, when the Rockets play host to the Suns at 8 p.m.

2. Turbo

Turbo Contributing Member

Does this mean there is no chance that he will be coming back to play for the last few games?

-Turbo

3. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I FOR ONE AM PUMPED!!! Barkley on TNT is going to make me watch a lot more non-Rocket games.

Cheers to TNT for having the balls to bring Charles aboard.

4. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Barkley and Kenny Smith? All we need now is to get Bill Worrell as host and we will be set. [​IMG]

------------------
    If you tell a joke in the forest, but nobody laughs, was it a joke?--Steven Wright

5. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Im glad to see him on TV. But one bad thing is people in houston cant watch him on Tuesday because it will be blacked out. SO whoever does watch TNT, tell us what he was saying about the rockets. [​IMG]

6. DaneB

DaneB Member

Why would they block it out? I'm sure most people would be pleasantly surpised to see how he does.

7. Francis3

Francis3 Member

They always block out the home games on TNT or TBS.

8. brahma rocket

brahma rocket Member

man dane dont you ever read the bottom of the preveiws for a game, i think it says "subject to blackout in local areas" or something like that, they're not blocking out because they dont like barkley, i think its because the local tv stations want you to watch it on their channel.

9. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

barkley better be talking good about rockets since we are still paying him. lol we are still finishing paying him his 9 million and he's over getting more money from tnt. didn't think he could be under contract in two places. if he makes a bad comment about the rocks we can fine him right?

10. RocketsFanFromLa

I didn't know they blacked-out national Rockets games in Houston. Well here, we see both TNT and Fox Sports Southwest. FSN is always behind TNT, anybody know why?

11. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

You should all come to Washington where no TNT game is ever blacked out, because the Wizards suck so bad so reliably that no self-respecting national network would ever schedule one of their games.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Or just move to Austin and get a DSS with a cracked H card.

Not saying I have one, but if I did, it would be really cool

[​IMG]

DaDakota