1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TNT] Possible 4-way trade

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by codell, Jan 13, 2005.

1. codell

codell Contributing Member

David Aldridge reporting this possible deal:

MIN gets Eddie Jones and Donyell Marshall

Miami gets Latrell Sprewell

NY gets Jalen Rose

Tor gets PennY Hardaway

2. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Wow, Minn is getting the best out of the deal. Inside presence w/ some outside shooting. Toronto is getting crap out of it.

3. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

Ny and Minn win that trade hands down. (IMHO)

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I don't know ... it would seem to me that in the day of dumping bloated contracts, the Heat do well. They get a talented guy who is playing in a contract year in Sprewell, then he's off the books this summer.

Marshall comes off the books for MIN this summer, but Jones is still getting paid (and I mean PAID) for a few more seasons.

I do agree that NY does well though .... Penny is worthless for them while Rose can play.

5. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

Why does Minnesota keep adding these older players to go with KG?

6. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

They got close to going to the finals last year. They are probably trying to shake things up and get back again.

7. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Remember when Penny Hardaway used to be Penny Hardaway?

8. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

okay...so send a man who complains about money (spree) and get eddie jones AND donyell marshall. steal of the year (it's just started :))

9. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

It seems as if the Toronto organization has given up.

10. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Rose is an absolute clubhouse cancer and Penny's contract is a year shorter than Jalen's, but I can't understand giving up Donyell for just a year of contract relief. Especially after you match Mo-Pete (37 points one night, four the next) and his contract. They want more minutes for Bosh, and Donyell doesn't play defense, but all they can get is Penny?

11. purplefever

purplefever Contributing Member

The deal doesn't work unless an additional ~$5 mil is shipped off the Minesota payroll, and likely onto Toronto's since it's Donyell's deal that upsets the numbers.

Essentially they're all max players who could be traded one-for-one to any of the 4 teams. Donyell makes about $4.55 million, so it's very possible that either Michael Olowokandi or Ervin Johnson are headed Toronto's way to balance out the talent/salary discrepancy.

I would think that since Toronto is arguably giving up the most talent, there may also be additional compensation in the way of 2nd round picks from Minnesota or more likely Miami, who is getting the greatest cap relief.

NY trades:
    Penny Hardaway - $14.625 mil
    NY receives:
    Jalen Rose $14.487 mil

Miami trades:
    Eddie Jones - $13.455 mil
    2nd round draft pick
    Miami receives:
    Latrell Sprewell - $14.462 mil

Minnesota trades:
    Latrell Sprewell - $14.462 mil
    Michael Olowokandi - $5.408 mil
    2nd round draft pick
    (Total - $19.87 mil)
    Minnesota receives:
    Eddie Jones - $13.455 mil
    Donyell Marshall - $4.545 mil
    Loren Woods - $1.0 mil
    (Total - $19.0 mil)

Toronto trades:
    Jalen Rose - $14.487 mil
    Donyell Marshall - $4.545 mil
    Loren Woods - $1.0 mil
    (Total - $20.03 mil)
    Toronto receives:
    Penny Hardaway - $14.625 mil
    Michael Olowokandi - $5.408 mil
    Two 2nd round draft picks
    (Total = $20.03 mil)

This trade works for pretty much everyone involved - and could in theory work without Loren Woods - but the numbers work better with him included and he's another 10mpg C for Minny.

Personally, I can see this deal being a 3 way between Miami, Minny and Toronto.... with the NY rumors being nothing more than Isaiah trying to get in on the action and peddle Penny to someone else.

12. Varunan

Varunan Contributing Member

Given each team's philosophy, I think all four teams benefit significantly by this proposed trade.

(1) Miami - clearly upgrades, getting a better player (more consistent scorer and better defender when he's not trying to spite management) in Sprewell, while dumping Jones' contract without having to commit to Spree unless they win a title, or go deep enough to consider him an asset worthy of his asking price.

(2) Minnesota - ships an ineffective malcontent in Sprewell, getting in return a competent fill-in to replace his rate of production this year (which can be chalked up to underachieving on Spree's end, and playing to his current level on Jones' end), PLUS a solid rebounder who can spread the floor in Marshall (who they should start at center, in my opinion - I remember the other day when they subbed Mark Madsen into the game after sending the Kandiman to the bench with 10 mins left in the 1st quarter - yep, that's their center spot).

(3) Toronto - they're in total rebuilding mode, sending out contracts for role players and draft picks, with the plan of building around Chris Bosh. They get rid of Rose's horrible, horrible contract for one that will expire at season's end. Given the way Bosh has played as of late, once the Raptors' offense was re-centered around him, I like the sound of this plan (plus, it's all they can do really).

(4) New York - NYC considers anything short of the second round to be a failure, so the Knicks are willing to further cripple their financial flexibilty over the next few years by adding a player that commands a superstar's paycheck, while producing the output of a solid role player, to an already bloated payroll. Doesn't work anywhere else, but it works in New York.

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

So did this happen? David Aldridge "reporting" a "possible" deal...did he just report a rumor or come up with a trade idea of his own...or is there some sort of confirmation...I still remember when he "reported" the Damon Stoudamire to Houston deal and it then blew up...

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I guess they figure it is working for the Rockets

Rocket River

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The Wolves are in "Win now" mode. They know their window of opportunity is open right now for the championship. They want to just add to the core.
    Eventually though you are right, they will have to add some more young bodies. But they are surrounding KG with playoff ready guys.