1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TMZ] Dwight Howard Now Under Criminal Investigation for Child Abuse

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HoustonTexas, Nov 18, 2014.

1. WinkFan

WinkFan Member

This story doesn't quite add up. The first part mentions an incident in October, while Howard's attorney says the original case was closed in September. Either there is a mistake, or there are multiple incidents.

2. kemah

kemah Member

lol

From another article it is the same incident that is being investigated. First Florida and now Georgia.

3. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

I'm not absolving Dwight from any blame, but I'm just thinking back on how politically correct society has become and how worried it is about offending nobody, which is an impossible feat. Some new age, liberal, hipster parent will be offended with any form of discipline whereas the larger subset of the population is perfectly ok with disciplining your children with physical means as long as it falls within reason. Now, because a small group of individuals are offended, society has to cater to them because it is fearful of any public scrutiny no matter how small. Even though this story toes the line of irrationality, given this PC society we live in, I am very afraid the NBA will attempt to avoid any public scrutiny by suspending Dwight for a long period similar to the AP situation in the NFL. And it's all because of some money grubbing ho.

2 people like this.
  4. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

I'm liking the direction Adam silver is taking the league. I trust he'll make a good decision here.

5. rayfantastic

rayfantastic Member

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Member
    Supporting Member

I think there needs to be degrees of child abuse addressed in the law. Discipline with a belt or a switch is something that was common to many in preceding generations. The thought that this would criminal is just hard to accept since many of us experienced it from our parents - and we don't see them as criminal but parents who cared.

The law needs to address that aspect. Whipping you kid with a belt is not the same as beating a child silly for spilling milk.

7. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

He allegedly hit him with the buckle part of the belt. That's worse than using the leather as a whip. A 6 year old doesn't need that much physical punishment.

This situation sucks. As if the rockets weren't hated enough.

8. RV6

RV6 Member

The incident occurred in October. The case was opened and closed between then and September. Now, they're looking into that same case again.

9. rockets13champs

Honestly this is just the women trying get get custody of braylon. She is using this to get money and the son. And ruin dwights career

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Child Battery Charge?

11. baubo

baubo Member

Yeah. The original story made it seem like Dwight beat his kid in Florida, then later did it in Georgia. But his lawyer seems to be saying it's the same one. If it's a different case, I have to shake my head at Dwight. Morally okay or not, Dwight should've known after the first incident that he shouldn't do this from a legal standpoint. If this is still that old incident from Florida, then the baby mama just want to hang on to her source of income which is even more dispicable.

12. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I wasn't making a direct comparison to these. Just simply stating that the argument of "thats how we were raised/back in the day" to justify child abuse (like in the AP story) is silly. I have no problems with discipling your child. Like others here, I got a "whooping" from my parents too but never so bad that my balls got cut up (like in AP story) and I honestly don't think I was ever bruised.

Its such a grey area. Discipling your child by physical actions could have a different meaning for everybody. To some, it could mean just a light spanking. To others, it could be beaten with a "switch". And to a few, it could be down right child abuse but they don't know better because its "how they were raised". So you have to understand its a sensitive topic and will raise eyebrows whenever brought up.

13. nono

nono Member

If you stick your dick in crazy, you deal with the consequences.

1 person likes this.
  14. Aleron

Aleron Member

we need to be giving judges more, not less discretion with degrees of punishment, at least some of them aren't complete idiots like the political brethren.

15. xAliceInChains

This is all so messed up. Dwight does not need people to hate him more. And people love to go into assumption mode just by the words 'Howard and Child Abuse'.

Here's to hoping that this does not effect his focus on basketball, and if they do find out any abuse evidence, then he deserves the repercussion. I've seen so many articles today that leave out the important details: ie: dates and the fact that they already did not find anything admissible.

16. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

Isn't that double jeopardy?

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Royce be Reed

18. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

no, because he was never charged and found innocent. They took a look at the evidence and decided not to pursue charges, but now they are reopening the case.

19. WinkFan

WinkFan Member

The article said October 2014. This is November 2014. I just checked, and the article has been corrected to indicate that the incident was reported on October 1, 2014.

20. TMac'n

TMac'n Member

A lot of news outlets are picking this story up.

Sounds more like baby mama drama and possible extortion

I hope this doesn't affect his play.