1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time Warner vs. Dish Network

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CReyna, Mar 25, 2004.

1. CReyna

CReyna Member

Any recommendation on which to chose?

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

About the same price... but you get a free DVR (tivo) when you sign up with dish network.

That alone should seal the deal...

3. CReyna

CReyna Member

The DVR box is an extra $5 a month over the cable. Well worth the price, but I'm just worried about constantly losing the picture because of bad weather.

4. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

HDTV..... Time Warner is the only choice.

I use DirecTV for my NFL Sunday Ticket.

5. Yao Wink

Yao Wink Member

Time Warner & Road Runner will save some you some money by getting them in a package.

Dish & SBC phone service package will save you $4 a month from what I read in the new ad.

Dish does go out at my house during hard rains.

But the Dish version of TiVo is nice to have. While it does come with an additonal charge per month, I was able to watch NFL games in about 45 minutes while not missing a play with the fast forwarding options.

Dish has a lot of options when it comes to the foreign channels, however a second dish is usually required. Some think of having satellite dishes mounted on your roof as an eyesore - whether it be neighbors or landlords.

TW has NFL Ticket, Dish does not.

As far as picture goes, both are excellent products. Hope this helps.

6. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Timewarner has NFL Sunday Ticket?? Since when? I'm pretty sure it is exclusive to DirecTV.

I used to have Timewarner Digital cable, but when I moved I decided to try DirecTV. I will never go back to cable now. The picture quality and the amount of channels you get totally favors DirecTV. I've never had Dish Network, but I've heard good things about them.

As for losing the signal, I've had DirecTV in my house for about a year and a half....I've lost the signal because of weather only twice, and it didn't last long.

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Dish does go out at my house during hard rains.

Cable goes out randomly too. Go Bluebirds!!!

If you had to choose availibilty as your top priority, choose satellite.

8. CReyna

CReyna Member

Thanks for the help. Has anyone installed the new receivers that Dish network is offering? It lets you hook up to two TV’s with one receiver.

9. Yao Wink

Yao Wink Member

My mistake ... TW does not have NFL Sunday ticket.

Another difference b/w TW and Dish is availablility of free local channels.
    TW gives local channels for free, where Dish charges $5.99 per month.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yea... their new reciever has two built-in tuners and a DVR. Thus, you can hook it up to two tv's, or have both hooked up to one tv.

The two built in tuners allows you to either record one show while you're watching the other, or record TWO shows that are occuring at the SAME TIME. :eek:

It also comes with a remote that works on a radio "frequency", so providing that your house/apartment is cable ready, you can have them have all your tv's connected to the satellite feed, and you can watch and control the programming in any room of the house.

Weather outages are rare... only when its really raining pretty hard (and even then, its out for 2-3 minutes, and comes back). Its about the same frequency as you'll get the random cable power outages...

If you want NFL Sunday Ticket, go with DirecTV, but I don't think they're offering a free tivo package...

11. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I switched to cable from Direct a little over a year ago...and have never lost my cable signal. Cant say the same for the dish.

Cable can be wired to each room..whereas there is a limit to how many different signals you can feed from one dish...ie...you are limited in the amount of rooms that can have their own individual signal per dish.

best thing.....I have freakin high speed cable internet....:D:D
    and that has only gone down once for any length of time...(a day or so when they had a network problem)

12. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

my cable channels go out sometimes. I mean, not for like three or four minutes, but, it goes out for like two seconds.

13. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

You can get cable broadband without having cable tv. I've got DirecTV for tv, and cable for internet. To save a little extra, I got my cable through Earthlink, and it's only $30/month. They still use Timewarners lines, so it's basically the same service as Roadrunner.

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Just so everyone is clear on this, DirecTv and broad band can not share the same cable.

15. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I got a member in KIMF?!!

WOOOO.

16. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I sometimes have cable channels go out for days at a time. And sometimes the signal is so bad on some channels, they might as well be out. I can't get FOX in the bedroom, for instance.

Cable company doesn't care, though.