1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time to end The Yao Ming Era

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ApuN, May 9, 2009.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

This is not a discussion to have today....let's wish Yao a healthy recovery and see what direction Morey wants to go in the offseason.

This is too raw and fresh to really dig into it for a lot of people.

DD

2. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

DD, Do you believe Rockets will fire the medical staff? Just wanted to know your opinion.

3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Didn't he miss a shot in the Portland blowout in the first round? can't remember

4. Raven

Raven Member

It's time for a complete tear down and rebuild. I wish Yao and Tracy the best, but those guys earn too much money, and building around them is impossible, due to their chronic health problems.

Plus, the league has changed. Players like Yao are too easily exploited by smart coaches and athletic scorers. Maybe Yao could fit in as a backup, but he makes too much money for that.

Tear it down. All the way down.

5. ibm

ibm Member

no. white has taken one shot (a 3) and nailed it. lol.

yeah, i agree. what to do with yao long term for the sake of the team is a topic that needs to wait at this point. better leave it to the off-season. and we need more info on this latest injury.

6. Erichstolz

Erichstolz Member

wow....didn't know Clutchfans had sooooo many bandwagon fans....yao is the best offensive center in the league....you people forget our best offensive weapon (tmac) is out...and nobody to back yao up...and we still had a chance to beat the best team in the west...(still do)...so back up and appreciate what a fighting team we have.

7. solid

solid Member

I honestly think he will retire. The left foot has had it, how much more can it take!? There comes a time when your life, family, and friends plus your own health are more important than a career. Yao won't starve. He goes out at the highpoint of this career and the Rockets move on.

8. t_mac1

t_mac1 Member

unless u expect yao to play around 25-26 mpg, and be the 3rd best player on the team with very little defensive responsibilities... then yea sure yao might last that long.

9. MadMax

MadMax Member

that lebron james is kick ass.

10. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

I have a feeling hes going to be like Rik Smits and retire when he's around 32-34.

This is one of the reason why I wouldnt give him a max contract.

11. t_mac1

t_mac1 Member

QFT. we have some young talents. letting yao and tracy go will open up a lot of cap space for the wizard morey to operate. it is impossible to build around yao and tracy since they are never healthy. if anything, when we do resign them, give them half of the max AT MOST (and tracy around $6-7 mil at most) and use the rest to sign a real superstar. if they don't accept that, say goodbye.

12. ibm

ibm Member

i don't know what to expect of yao as well as what the team will and should do with him long term - yet.

but i know one thing. i know to talk about stuff like "it's time to end the yao-era" a few hours after he's announced out of the season, a season where he led the team to shake off the 1st round curse, is both disrespectful and of poor taste.

13. johnwu09

johnwu09 Member

are you F**K** nuts...we have been complain about we need more size on this team..now with out our leading score,rebound. think about it..with yao on the court, its easier for rockets to score becuase yao needs to be doubled. lets face it with out yao this series its bascially
    Rockets:scola(6'9) Carl(6'9) chuck( 6'6)
    Lakers:bynum(7'0) pau(7'0) odom(6'10) josh Powell(6'9) ..

14. Mr. Space City

f the bandwagoners.

when the team is on they are the biggest fans but when the team sees hardships then they're quick to trade trade trade and rebuild

gtfo

i wish yao a healthy recovery and hope to see him back next year

this man has put his heart and soul into this team and bleeds rockets red harder than any of you bandwagoners who want to cast off a man who contributed to getting us out of the first round in 12 years.

get well yao...you at leat have one fan who int done with you yet

15. qiuhong

qiuhong Member

Then choose your title and word wisely. If you need somebody else to interpret your post better than yourself, probably you shouldn't be allowed to start a post.

16. t_mac1

t_mac1 Member

no what this year showed was that morey has the capability of building a well-rounded team. yao wasn't asked to carry this team completely on his shoulders like most superstars are.

this is the THIRD STRAIGHT YEAR with the same foot. if this was the first year, then yes, it's in poor taste and disrespectful. but IT'S THE THIRD YEAR IN A ROW. how many more years of this do we take?

again, i still love for yao to remain with the team b/c he is the best offensive center in the game. and big men with his skills are rare nowadays. but he cannot command the max anymore and we cannot build the team solely around yao.

morey has to continue to do what he has done: draft very good players with potential; get players who hustle WITH skills.

yao WILL be injured again next yr. it's a given.
    and tracy is a HUGE question mark for the rest of his career.

and those are our cornerstones. despite where you are at this season, as a GM, i bet morey always thinks about the future and how to improve. and you cannot improve if your cornerstones are always injured with uncertain status. you build around stars who you know what to expect.

17. johnwu09

johnwu09 Member

lets face it with out yao this series is over. yao might not drop amazing numbers but when hes on the court its easier for other rockets to score becuase yao needs to be double, or kicks the ball out for an open jumpshot he might not get of assists becuase he starts the pass and the ball goes around

18. ibm

ibm Member

when we win a game or achieve something, it's always a team effort. when we lose or do something bad, it's always yao being soft. i've seen too many posts from you and others. very similar logic to your boy mcgrady who always says "i" did this or that (such as imposing his will) and "we" didn't do this or that when we lose. you are the smart one of that group. your style is a bit more subtle.

category 3. remember? lol.

yao didn't carry the load. sure. it's all team effort. eh?

other superstars? wade carried another 5th seeded team to a 1st round exit, against a weak arse hawks team. lol. nothing against dwade, just one example.

19. Fatty FatBastard

Yao = Sampson

Let's face it. This has nothing to do with heart. This has to do with men who grow far taller than they should be. Realize that the tallest man ever recorded had to walk around on a cane.

When we saw Yao's legs, and how much thicker they were than Sampson's, we used it as an excuse.

See... For those not in the know, Sampson was such a phenom that when a trade came up for no less than Michael Jordan straight up in 85, it was a laughably bad proposal from yesteryears Wilbon, SAS, et. al.

He was THAT good. We were called the original "Twin Towers" for a reason. But after 3 spectacular seasons, Sampson just didn't have it, regardless of his heart.

Yao has just as much heart, if not more, but a body that size is increasingly becoming a body that is doomed to fail, especially if you're an athelte.

It is time to see what options may be out there. As much as I hated the trade with Sampson for scraps trade, we ended up better for it in the long run.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

Analogy FAIL