1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

thoughts on PER for the Rockets & the rest of the NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HowsMyDriving, Jan 8, 2010.

1. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

Currently there is only one rocket that is in the top 20 for his position in PER, and that is Carl Landry with a 23.48 PER (#3 among power forwards). The rockets are the only team in the NBA with only 1 player in the top 20 at his position in PER. Every other team has 2 or more, with Boston having 6 to lead all teams.

----------

There is one team with 1 player in the top 20 by position: Houston. Average win% for these teams is 56%.

There are seven teams with 2 players in the top 20 by position: Charlotte, Cleveland, Detroit, Miami, Minnesota, New Jersey, Oklahoma City. Average win% for these teams is 41%.

There are seven teams with 3 players in the top 20 by position: Chicago, Indiana, Los Angeles Lakers, Milwaukee, New Orleans, Toronto, and Utah. Average win% for these teams is 51%.

There are twelve teams with 4 players in the top 20 by position: Atlanta, Dallas, Denver, Golden State, Los Angeles Clippers, Memphis, New York, Orlando, Portland, Sacramento, San Antonio, and Washington. Average win% of these teams is 53%.

There are two teams with 5 players in the top 20 by position: Philadelphia and Phoenix. Average win% of these teams is 47%.

There is one team with 6 players in the top 20 by position: Boston. Average win% of these teams is 76%.

-----------

so its a little unclear as to whether having more high PER players makes a team win more as we would expect. there are a lot of outliers present, like our rockets who appear to only have one "very good" player yet are winning, and the sixers/clippers/wizards who seem to have multiple very good players but do not win. Clearly missing in all of this is that I don't have PERs for all the players on all the rosters, so as to be able to calculate an average PER by team and see how that correlates with win%. if someone wants to get me that (ESPN insiders) then I'd love to check it out.

anyway, I thought it was interesting and wanted to see what you guys thought.

1 person likes this.
  2. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Very interesting concept. Thanks for the numbers. I would have never guessed just about any of those stats to be the case.

3. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

PER doesn't do a good job of taking defense into account. It inevitably makes players like Hayes, Battier, Lowry, etc. look much worse than they really are.

4. redao

redao Member

PER does not factor in the "defense".

You can see a lot of "no defense' team are "with 4 players in the top 20 by position"

5. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

it is true that PER does not factor in true team defense. but keep in mind that this year's rockets are not a good defensive team, ranking somewhere around 20th in the NBA in adjusted fg% against.

however, it is also true that PER does a great job of measuring a player's offensive efficiency and measurable production. for the rockets to be above .500 with only one player in the top 100 in PER in the NBA is really surprising. especially so when you consider that they are not very good defensively, so there's no argument that it's okay for them to be inefficient on offense, because they make up for it on the other end.

think about that again for a second, the rockets have only 1 player in the top 100 in the NBA in PER, yet they are above .500 despite playing the hardest schedule in the league. its amazing to me.

6. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

So it basically boils down to the Rockets not having anyone other than Landry being good at putting the ball in the basket?

7. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

its not just about scoring. PER is an attempt to capture as much about a player's production and efficiency as possible in a single number.

here's a link to the calculation of PER if you're interested: basketball reference

the final number you get includes all of a player's productive contributions (like making field goals and free throws, collecting rebounds, blocking shots, steals, getting assists) except they are adjusted by negative contibutions as well (like missing field goals and free throws, turnovers), and its all weighted to league averages, pace factors, etc, per minute.

so in the end, it's supposed to represent the quality of the play of each individual player, per minute, relative to the rest of the league (league average PER is always 15.0).

8. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I updated that a little.

You can also get the PER for every player through Basketball Reference. You don't need Insider.

I would think that the PER for all players in the rotation combined has more signficance than the PER of individual players.

I imagine the Rockets collective PER is a better reflection of the team than the number of individual players with PERs in the top 20.

9. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

i looked around and didn't find a complete 09-10 PER list anywhere. If you have a link and could post it, please do.

and yes, the sum/average PER for all players has more significance, but it also reveals the biggest flaw in PER, that it produces huge swings when minutes played for an individual shrinks. you end up with league leaders in PER as end-of-bench guys, so you'd have to introduce some intelligence into the calculation in order to effectively PER-ify a team.

this wasn't supposed to be a discussion of the merits of PER as much as simply pointing out how odd this year's rockets team is from the perspective of a metric that many people use to measure the quality of individual players.

10. BrooksBall

I don't think they have a complete, easy-to-use list. You have to click on the page for each individual player.

For example, here is Chris Paul's page: http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/paulch01.html

You can see his PER under the Advanced section. It's the same value you find under Hollinger's stats on ESPN so they must be using the same formula.

I don't think it's that odd because the collective performance of the team is more important than that of any individual. I suppose it's odd mostly to people who consider PER the holy grail of basketball statistics and who also think individual play is more important than team play.

Basically, you can have one player putting up a 30 PER with his 4 teammates averaging 12.5 for a total of 80.

On the other hand, you could have 5 guys with PERs of 16 on another team.

Both sets of players produce a total PER of 80 but one team spreads out the production more than the other.

#10 BrooksBall, Jan 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  11. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Thanks for clearing that up a bit HMD and BB.

12. BrooksBall

Also, I'd imagine the collective PER of our bench is among the best in the league, compensating for the below average collective PER of our starters.

Nothing shocking in that statement. Just thought I'd mention it.

13. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

yeah, see, I can't use the PERs if its all individualized like that. there are roughly 400 players in the NBA. i need it in a list or csv format.

and yes, i understand the team aspect. i mentioned that in the first post. but considering that PER is also an efficiency of production calculation, having a team full of high PER players (as long as they play some defense) should outperform a team of low PER players, just because the high PER players produce more measurable positive production per minute.

I think that if you summed the PER's of each team, you'd find that the total PER by team would correlate with some decent accuracy to win %. Boston would probably have the highest team PER. You can see this by comparing teams with equivalent numbers of top20 PER performers.

for example: among teams with 3 players in the top20 in PER - if you average the PER of those 3 players, and use that to rank the teams, you get a ranking that goes like this (actual NBA standings rank among this group is in parenthesis):

1) LAL (1)
    2) NOR (3)
    3) TOR (4)
    4) UTH (2)
    5) MIL (5)
    6) IND (7)
    7) CHI (6)

clearly you can see that my PER-based rankings for this group agree with the NBA standings with some level of accuracy, with only Utah being somewhat miscast. jsut to check it with a bigger sample, here is the same for teams with 4 players in the top 20 ranked using PER, with NBA standing among these teams in parenthesis:

1) DEN (5)
    2) ATL (3)
    3) SAS (4)
    4) GSW (12)
    5) POR (6)
    6) MEM (7)
    7) SAC (10)
    8) ORL (1)
    9) LAC (8)
    10) DAL (1)
    11) NYK (9)
    12) WAS (11)

the agreement is less strong, with both Orlando, GSW and Dallas being way off, but otherwise you see a decent alignment between where you'd rank a team based on the average PER of its 4-man top20 combination, and where the team ranks among this group.

Point of this all being that PER does highlight quality in some respects, and you can use it to gain an appreciation for the quality of a team based on its best players. to the degree that what you see agrees with what the numbers say, i think this supports the use of PER as a metric of player quality, and further underlines why it's so odd that the rockets are a decent to good team despite the lack of PER-friendly players.

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2010.html

Here is a minutes-weighted average of PER for every NBA team:

Code:
            Team    PER-avg
    1       ATL     17.1
    2       PHO     16.7
    3       DEN     16.5
    4       CLE     16.3
    5       SAS     16.2
    6       BOS     16.1
    7       MEM     16.0
    8       DAL     15.9
    9       LAL     15.8
    10      TOR     15.7
    11      ORL     15.5
    12      POR     15.4
    13      PHI     15.3
    14      GSW     15.3
    15      UTA     15.2
    16      MIA     15.2
    17      SAC     15.1
    18      OKC     15.1
    19      NYK     14.9
    20      LAC     14.9
    21      NOH     14.8
    22      HOU     14.6
    23      WAS     14.2
    24      DET     13.6
    25      CHA     13.6
    26      MIL     13.5
    27      CHI     13.4
    28      IND     13.1
    29      MIN     13.0
    30      NJN     12.6

Correlation between PER-avg and offensive efficiency is .952, while between PER-avg and defensive efficiency it is -.086.

In other words, looking only at the PER of a team's players is a terrific indicator of team offense, but tells you almost nothing about team defense.

15. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

what i am looking for is the PER for every player in the NBA this season, in a .csv or excel importable format. i didn't see it there, maybe i missed it though, i always have trouble navigating BBR.

what you said supports what i've been saying also. if the rockets weighted average PER as a team puts them 22nd in the NBA offensively, and their adjusted FG% against puts them 20th in the NBA defensively, it is remarkable that the team is not only above .500, but doing so against the hardest strength of schedule in the NBA.

16. redao

redao Member

from this research, we can conclude that PER is almost unnecessary since we have simpler and better stats on offensive efficiency.

There is no need to add blocks, steals, turnovers or rebounds in PER because they are not changing the fact that PER is just another form of offensive efficiency. Why make it complicate well achieving nothing more?

17. durvasa

You can just copy&paste it from that link I gave you into Excel. That's what I do. :)

Or, click the "Download data (zipped)" link at knickerblogger's stat page.

http://www.knickerblogger.net/stats/2010/

The Rockets are 16th in offense, and 15th in defense. Their overall ranking, adjusted for strength of schedule, is 13th based on SRS:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2010.html

This might show the relationship better (I standardized all the numbers on the plot so they are relative to league average).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#17 durvasa, Jan 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  18. durvasa

At an individual player level, PER is not just replacing offensive efficiency. Its only when you aggregate over a number of players on the team that it starts to closely reflect efficiency.

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I think the best way to describe PER is that it's a way to, in one number, summarize many of a player's offensive and defensive stats that you find in a boxscore. If you consider that, then you can understand why adding a team's players' PER's doesn't necessarily define how good or bad a team is. In the Rockets' case, it may almost be a manifestation of the old saying "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts". In other words - they are a team that overcomes indivdual deficiencies. We have a team full of players who aren't great at a lot of things but may be good at one or two things, but combined, they make a pretty decent team.

Either that or Shane Battier's -175 PER screws everything up...