1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thoughts on coach McHale now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fonzie_004, Mar 9, 2014.

1. jtr

jtr Member

I have been defending McHale since he was hired. FANS are intent on what is not important as far as head coaches go. McHale deserves of our respect.

2. ohmrwilson13

ohmrwilson13 Member

Why give credit to McFail for this win? It's obvious who the real coach was in clutch time: [​IMG]

3. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

I don't think he is a horrible coach but don't trust him crunch time situations and his substitutions are questionable. The playoffs will be were we will see truly how good of coach he is.

4. jtr

jtr Member

Quit trolling please. It is irritating and annoying. Get a life dude.

5. deedee82

deedee82 Member

For all the previous postings about Lin that I've read from you, i totally agree that McH has shown alot of faith in Lin these past 2 games and even adjusting minutes to let him play now that ABrooks is gone and while Lin was playing bad.

Bev is not made made of metal (though i believe so sometimes) and needs a breather while Lin needed to rest his back.

The level of play prior to the back injury announcment and after makes me want to believe that they only announced it after he was better to manage how other teams would play us. If that was the case, more credit to our FO and coach.

6. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

If you look at the game tying 3 it was a poorly ran and drawn up play. Were just lucky to have a player like harden.

7. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

This thread is in relation to the season, and mchales coaching tenure as a whole. I've never been one to knee jerk, so I am not talking about one game, but rather a body of work

8. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

Also when the game was tied 106-106 why take out harden? Yes he has 5 fouls but so what the game is on the line.

9. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

The thread was posted after the game so i'm just pointing some things out from today. I think he is a decent coach, but he has many questionable moments to me.

10. BruceWayne

BruceWayne Member

Where's that clown who said in over 50 yrs of watching the NBA, McHale is the worst coach he has ever seen?

Seems like 1/2 the members of this board are McHale haters.

Guy has been a hell of a coach in 2014, top five in the league IMO. He may never be Pop. But Pop never had to handle superstar egos. Sure, Pop is maybe the best X's and O's coach of all time.

But, as Phil Jackson repeatedly says in his books,the vast majority of his work as Lakers and Bulls coach was managing egos and making personal/spiritual connections with his stars. And that's something McHale does VERY well.

11. SuperKev

SuperKev Member

We have a coaching STAFF. Bizarre how our entire strategy is always attributed to McHale. As a group they've put together a winning plan and had the stones to evolve it as required. Blows me away that even after big wins there are those banging the nuke McHale drum.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He's been good ever since he curbed his racism against Asians and Euros. :grin:

13. rocksclo

rocksclo Member

I think McHale improved a lot with set plays and rotation. Like players, they all need development. I think McHale's player experience is going to benefit our young players a lot when it comes to playoffs. We shall see.

14. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

At the start of the season, was kinda shaky. Didn't understand why he kept some players in after they been missing everything (Looking at you Garcia and Casspi). But now, he seem to understand that you must go whats best for the whole team. If someone don't have it that night, let them rest.

15. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

McHale deserves credit for no longer playing Garcia and Casspi, that's for sure.

16. BruceWayne

BruceWayne Member

i think Big Brother Daryl had a lot of input in getting Casspi/Garcia out of the rotation (also the Hamilton trade..), but I like having a coach like McHale who will basically implement whatever DMorey wants him to.

17. SeeingRocketRed

I agree with what another poster said, that McHale seems to be coming along just like our players are. I see the development of strategies, plays, and a team. Finally.

18. meh

meh Member

19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Because they were in a situation where they had to foul & put the Blazers on the line. Harden fouls he's done , you have to replace him with someone who can foul and have your superstar for the rest of the game.

Foul , sub him back in after the first FT for offensive purposes.

That was a no brainer move by McHale.

20. ohmrwilson13

ohmrwilson13 Member

I think he was just kidding...as was I. McHale is not nearly as bad as some other have made him out to be. I think he's actually made quite a few improvements over the last two years. Either way, we should probably reserve judgement until the playoffs.