1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This team with Josh Smith?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by awc713, May 8, 2014.

1. cbk41

cbk41 Member

Idk zbout Jish Smoth but we can always be thankful fr based doge

[​IMG]

ty based doge

2. izeroi

izeroi Member

I've always like Smith (minus the silly shots) but his contract is a joke. Pistons really screwed themselves by giving him that much money.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Had a chance last year, right? {Wasn't that the hot rumor?} One side passed.

No thanks.

4. cbk41

cbk41 Member

I don't believe there was a good enough deal on the table for murrie to pull the proverbial trigger on.

5. makio9

makio9 Member

15 mil for 3 years is less money than Jeremy Lin so from that perspective, yeah, no doubt he is a better asset than Lin if we can dump Lin in the process. But I don't think Josh Smith is the answer for this team when searching for the perfect result or anything close to it. Obviously he isn't playing SF with Parsons being there and he is yet another undersized unnatural PF that I am sick of.

6. stab

stab Member

7. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

tbh, Josh CUOLD work, but he is a risky pick. the only way josh will work is if we had a coach that demands respect and his teammates demands respect. otherwise i can see this being trouble. there's already not enough shots to go around as it is.

coaching matters here because they can get their players to fall in line and not do dumb ****. my example would be beasley, although he isnt getting much playing time now - many were surpirsed that he was good off the bench and scored. there's no way lebron and spo were going to let this guy be a lockerroom cancer.

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Our free throw shooting and basketball IQ would be even worse. No bueno.

9. aelliott

aelliott Member

Smith isn't making $15M over 3 seasons. He is making $15M PER season for 3 years...$45M over 3 years. He makes almost double Lin's salary.

10. Phillycheese

Phillycheese Member

Josh Smith is 15/year x 3 years is way more than Lin's contract

11. LinnyKravitz

LinnyKravitz Member

Would rather have Millsap or Love, but Smith would be a substantial upgrade at PF most importantly at the defensive end where we desperately need a stopper to contain top PF's in the West like Aldridge, Nowitzki, Griffin, Ibaka, Randolph, etc., and then someone to throw at LeBron, Carmelo, David West if we get that far. Right now we have a huge disadvantage at that position against those teams. Smith could be that third best player on a championship team and is definitely a better use of cap space than Lin/Asik. If we could get Detroit to take both Lin/Asik, you'd definitely have to consider. If it didn't work out, although I think it would, he might be a good trade chip in a deal for Love.

12. aelliott

aelliott Member

I can't speak for the poster but 49% of Smith's shots last season were from within 9 ft of the basket and he shot 52.5% on those shots. 21% of his shots were 3 pointers. Based on that,a characterization of him as "just chucks 3 pointers" is obviously off.

He does post up 18% of the time and scores 0.77 pts/possession. BTW that's exactly the same ppp as Dwight Howard.

Also 13.5% of Smith's shots are in transition and he shoots 63.2% on those shots.

As for the reference to Morey's philosophy I'm guessing that it was the implication that Morey doesn't like post ups. Morey likes efficient shots. Generally shots at the rim and from behind the arc are efficient shots and those are the shots the Rockets take. If the post up player is skilled enough then those are definitely efficient shots too and Morey wouldn't mind them. The flip side is that if say Asik started shooting 3 pointers then that likely wouldn't be an efficient shot so Morey wouldn't be ok with it just because it was from behind the arc.

If you think that the Rockets play slow down iso ball then who in your mind plays fast? The Rockets play at the 5th fastest pace in the league. Only PHI, LAL, DEN and MIN play at a faster pace.

13. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

If he was at a low price then yes

14. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Member

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

josh smith sucks..no thanks..overrated..never was a team player nor was he ever a winning player

16. basketballholic

The guy we should be interested in from Detroit is Jonas Jerebko.

IF.....we are not able to secure our 3rd superstar by trading Asik/Lin/etc., then a possible small transaction that would benefit us for next season would be to make a small trade for Jerebko if possible. He'll probably opt-in on the last year of his deal ($4.5 million) because it is doubtful he could get more than that in free agency.

Over the last 3 seasons, Jerebko has shot 49% on the corner 3-balls. Limited attempts each season as Detroit has been clueless how to use him and coach him. But he's a shooter. He's got great mechanics, nice trigger. It's all there. He would be great in a spread and kick offense.

The problem with trying to trade for him is Detroit is an absolute mess. The new GM is going to want to dump both Smith and Brandon Jennings. I don't think there's a market for either player. Jennings is absolutely atrocious and Smith was plain terrible this season. So, Detroit has big problems and the new GM will probably recognize that Jerebko is one of the few bright spots. And he will also know that Jerebko is one of the precious few shooters that they've got on that entire stinking roster. So the new GM will probably overvalue Jerebko in a trade.

However......if we can't get a deal done for Love/Melo/Bosh/Bron, etc. by trading Asik/Lin/picks/other players, then I would be all for pursuing a guy like Jerebko in trade. We've got enough non-guaranteed salary plus one of DMo/Jones to make an offer. Pistons would probably want DMo. I'd have to really consider that trade if I couldn't get either a superstar 4 or trade DMo for a future first rounder.

17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Who doesn't like efficient shots? The problem is how they go about it. No variety. So predictable. No philosophy just take them. We not gonna run plays but just take those efficient shots.
    Miami and GSW play fast pace.
    So the other half smith chucks it. I don't know what you're point is but that is moreyball. Did you miss this whole season of baskeyball?

Reopen for coming at me the right way

18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

This ******* phone needs to stop editing my words

19. BonziWellsGOAT

He's basically a slightly more athletic TJ with no concious from the 3pt line (not a good thing) and a worse ball handler

20. Nook

Nook Member

LMFAO Could you imagine trying to coach Harden, Smith, Lin, Parsons and Jones????? BWHAHAH There would be no point in having a coach... they literally would just run up and down the court chucking shots.