1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This Ryan Anderson/PJ Tucker PF tandem is destroying us

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Giant9erRocket, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

Let's look at who had the worst +/- of any player who played more than 12 minutes per game (since losing 4 straight).

Against Celtics we lost by 1 point
    -5 Tucker

Against Thunder we lost by 5 points
    -10 Tucker

Against Clippers we lost by 10 points
    -17 Anderson

Against Lakers we lost by 6 points
    -22 Anderson

After 33 games I think we can all agree Ryan Anderson is the worst starting PF in the league.

He's one dimensional where he takes four 35FT 3 pointers a game (but makes 1), can't secure offensive or defensive rebounds if his life depended on it, can't make simple HS level layups, think he's Dirk v2.0 by shooting 1-2 one-legged fade away mid-range jumpers a game at a FG% of 25%, worst defender since he averages the most one-on-one post up plays against other offensive players, slow as molasses when switching and/or taking a charge. I can add more but let's get to the next black hole player....

PJ Tucker's claim to fame is his defense yet I don't see how he's so exceptional. I am just not seeing it.

He likes to waive his hands around like he's on fire but in reality he's moving really slow on a close out. He's at his career high of .3 blocks this year and for some reason I can't remember him blocking anyone at the rim. On help defense he watches people go to the basket uncontested yet he's our rugged defensive minded PF. He could not shut down Tatum tonight and gave up Horford's the game winner, Melo/PG13 went off on him, Kuzma a rookie destroyed him for 38 points.

He's absolute garbage on offense!! His ball handling is probably the worst on the team (not counting our centers) yet he's played SF for most of his career. In the paint, it's either a turnover, blocked shot, or brick layup. You can't pick and roll with him because he has no go-to move, his picks are awful and he's slow to the rim. He's averaging a career worst .9 assists a game which means passing the ball to him is worthless unless he's ready to shoot. But the thing is his FG% is a career worst .398%. He makes one 3 pointer a game at 36% - which is OK but he only takes them if he's WIDE-OPEN with no one within 6 feet of him.

Also I thought he was the "tough guy" on our team? I haven't seen him once stare down, talk trash or push players who were bumping up/trash talking our players. Instead he when timeouts occur he likes to take it out on an NBA ball by slamming it hard forcefully with two hands into the basketball court. He may look like he's strong as an ORC but in reality he is as soft as an ELF. On top of that he's over 32 years old so you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

I just hope in the next year or so (when he's way past his prime) he doesn't become a Ryan Anderson-Lite v2.0 albatross contract (He will make $8m) where it will take 1st/2nd round picks in order to trade him.

The questions is how do we fix our PF issues? Do we trade Capela/Ryan Anderson for DeAndre Jordan? Do we trade Tucker/EG for a stud PF making Ryan Anderson a back up? Or do we live with what we have for now?

2. threepointshot3

Tucker has been really disappointing overall in the last few games

HakeemOnlyFan and Sean Dr34ms like this.
  3. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

You meant bricking the free throw that could won us the game? :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

lw17, D-rock and Rox11 like this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Hope Mbah a Moute recovers soon.

5. threepointshot3

I’m more dissatisfied with his overall defensive game

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

No Bright? I see what you did there.

7. Juxtaposed Jolt

We live with what we have, and wait for players to heal. Everyone loves to give their opinion when things get rough, but we were straight blowing teams out when everyone is healthy. Should we have traded Anderson and Tucker, then?

8. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

I was extremely negative about the PJ Tucker signing at the beginning of the season. My opinion never changed. Only a few homers who were blinded by our win streak thought Ryan Anderson was the chosen one at PF.

We all knew deep down inside we were no match for a healthy GSW in a 7 game series and an upgrade at PF was necessary (before the season, during the win streak and now at our lowest point of the season). After this 4 game losing streak, doesn't it make it more obvious that we need to do something about this glaring weakness?

lw17 and daywalker02 like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Tucker went crazy in the first game against GSW so people were high on him early on, he had couple of good games.

I am not too excited about his age and his lack of mobility/talent on Offense.

He brings some good Defense for stretches.

lw17 likes this.
  10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

tucker has been serviceable for the most part, however the fact that he is such a poor finisher in the paint and unreliable ballhandler really hampers our offense. witness his 1-on-1 fastbreak vs midget patty mills earlier this month -- not being able to convert that easy layup was pretty pathetic.

anderson is just a joke of a player. when his signing was announced my first post here was that morey must be trolling us with scorched earth policy because he knew he was getting canned soon.

roslolian and hakeem94 like this.
  11. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

But I thought Morey is a genius. He did pay him all that money afterall.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Even geniuses have mental lapses and are flawed around here.

roslolian likes this.
  13. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

It’s funny because I remember during the pre harden decade, all we had were 4’s on this team. Imagine having an ‘09 Carluis Scolandry today.

Bo6, LCII, MD_in_Training and 2 others like this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

oh well the undersized 4s and the midget guards. Good times!

Lovemachine2000 likes this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Morey, like Harden, must have suffered a concussion (that day he signed Anderson). :D

roslolian, hakeem94 and daywalker02 like this.
  16. jeevinesh

jeevinesh Member

I completely agree. Did you ever hear Michael Jordan or Hakeem whine that they didn't have a good enough power forward?

No.

They just went out there and rolled with what they had. Just like we were doing with THIS team, with a stacked Western Conference.

With these injuries, you're removing two dimensions from Harden's game. The lob at the rim and the spot up three. Those were his most efficient plays prior to this.

In my opinion, a great team rarely can be acquired. Most are grown from within. (Exception is all Kobe-led teams because that man had a LOT of help).

This Is a testament to what Harden has been able to achieve with a bunch of average role players.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Jordan had Horace Grant and Dennis Rodman
    Hakeem had Otis Thorpe then Robert Horry

If we had a caliber of played of ANY of them . .. . we'd be ruling

Imagine a young Horry on this team . . . . man get out!1

Rocket River

Exiled, lw17 and D-rock like this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

LOL of course this idiot comes out of hiding when a losing streak occurs. Once the rockets start winning again he'll crawl back in the hole. No surprise

Pen15clubber likes this.
  19. Red Nation RGV

They're being asked to play outside of what they normally do in addition to more minutes.... lets say at work your job is to cook the Texas BBQ but then the dude that sells the beer is out sick and then the one that runs the register is out too. So now its on you... well you may burn the BBQ being overextended haha

Seriously this is their job just like we all have jobs. You add more responsibility in any field and what you do well will dip a bit.

You want a basketball comparison lets go Trevor Ariza... fans actually said he was a bad signing because they based this second Rocket run after the first one. Um well when he first signed he was supposed to be 3rd option with TMac and Yao but had to play "The Man" role. With Harden we all see how he flourishes... same with Tucker and Anderson. They are complimentary pieces not all stars give em a break. Morey will work some magic

basketballholic and JamalP. like this.
  20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Tucker is a physical defender who you want to come at the very end of your rotation as needed. He fits behind Moute. Without Luc, Tucker is forced into lineups where you don't want him.

Anderson is our biggest weakness. We need an actual #1 PF. Like the Luc injury, this is exacerbated by the Capela injury.

Gordon is trying to run a stagnant offense in the fourth due to the CP3 injury, and that is also terrible.

Role players have to be in their roles to be effective. Shocker.

#20 napalm06, Dec 29, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2017