1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This is our leader?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Moe, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

Oh, man, I just read the articles in the Comical about last night's game. Some of Steve's quotes are pathetic. He basically blames everyone and everything but himself for the loss.

In the 4th quarter when the game was on the line, Steve was 1 for 7 with no assists. He had no baskets in the last five minutes. Stockton had 9 points in the last 7 minutes. Steve was on fire the first half, with everything he threw up falling. Did he feel since he scored so much in the first half, he had done his part for the game and had no responsiblities in the 4th?

Here are some quotes:

"I'm not trying to be arrogant, but this is a team that can't match up with us. We gave the game away in the fourth quarter."

Arrogance must come naturally, Steve, since you don't have to try. Have you ever heard of the concept of team play ? It's how teams with lesser talent can win and how teams with better talent can dominate. Games aren't played on paper.

"I can definitely say they got a lot of help towards the end," Francis said. "We gave the game away early in the fourth quarter. Down at the end, you're not going to get calls against a veteran team like that, in their hometown, with them fighting to get to the playoffs, and you're not playing for (anything). You get no calls."

Again, 1-7 with 0 assists in the 4th. Blame it on the refs, Stevie.

"I don't think our bench gave us what we expected," he said. "Their bench really gave them something. That really hurt."

This is really a stupid quote from your "leader". What did Steve, or the Rockets collectively do to get the bench involved when they were playing? Throw some guys out there at the end of the year and let Steve and friends ignore them in the offense, and then blame them for losing. That is truly, truly pathetic. It doesn't matter that you are not impressed with Collier & Langhi,(who I'm assuming he is referring to), but get a clue! Rudy has done nothing to bring these guys along during the season.

Take a look at Padgett, for example. The first year I saw him, I thought, what a stiff. But he was brought along and integrated into their offense, consistently. Now, he still isn't very athletic, but he contributes with rebounds, passing, scoring and hustle. All the Rockets have done the last couple of years, is coddle their superstars. The Rockets have poor fundamentals, play terrible defense, can't even run the fast break with one of the fastest, quickest lineups in the league and run an offense that will only succeed when Steve or Cat are going nuts. Every one talks about how important Steve is to the Rockets. That's true because the offense isn't designed for other people to take up the slack when Steve (and to a lesser extent, Cat) aren't on fire.

What the hell did he expect?? Did he want Langhi and Collier to put on a dribbling exhibition, then flip in a deuce with 2 left on the shot clock? Langhi and Collier took 1 official shot between them for the game. Whose fault is that?

For the most part this season, our bench consists of Moochie in the 4th quarter. Funny, I thought I saw Moochie out there. I did notice that Utah used a bigger lineup against our 3 guard. Osterfat posting up Cat. Hey, Cat''s our best defender, what happened? Could that bigger lineup have anything to do with the rebounding edge Utah had?

Anyway, I thought those quotes were totally inappropriate. Steve needs to grow up and be a real leader. Don't talk about how much better the Rockets are than another team, then blame the loss on the refs and your teamates, while totally ignoring your own choke job in the 4th. Shades of Pippen.

I know all the Stevie jock sniffers will come after me, but you know what? I couldn't care less.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I have been saying this all along.

The problem on the Rockets is that our supposed leaders are anything but.

Steve is a good talent, but his basketball IQ is a little less then Rodrick Rhodes.

Steve has ZERO concept of how to get it done, and Cat is not much better.

This team needs someone to take the reigns from the clueless duo and LEAD this team. Until that happens, don't expect to REALLY contend.

DD

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

You need to calm down. You do understand how these articles are created. Reporters actually ask specific questions. They don't just go from locker to locker, say, "what are your thoughts" and listen to it all pour out.

How should Steve have answered the question..."What do you think about the calls they were getting down the end?", which I'm sure he was asked? Or, "what did you think of the bench play?" And you're mad at him for thinking that the team is better than the Jazz. Who cares. Heck, I hope he fosters the attitude that no team shoudl be able to hang with them

And the multiple references to the 1-7 shooting ad 0 assists in the 4th. Steve's inability to score or creat did not lose us this game. His, and the teams, lack of playing defense was the main problem though. If you want to get angry at our "leader," argue about the fact that he can't lead defensively.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I've always been under the impression that Mobley was the leader even though Francis is the better player.

5. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Steve's quotes, in my opinion, are not arrogant at all. They were right on in my opinion, and you hear "leaders" of lots of teams say this same verbage.

The truth of the matter is this: the visiting team often will not get the luxury of receiving calls in the opponents gym at the end of a close game. It's a long time, well known fact. It's called home cooking.

You are citing Steve not getting the bench involved in the game in the 4th. But you only mention offense. How many other things can the bench do in a basketball game to be involved and contribute???? Many. Who do you want to take shots on this team in the 4th of a close game? Francis and Mobley or Cato, Langhi, Collier, Griffin, et al??? The answer is easy for me. Teams go to their "go to" guys in clutch situations. Hence the term.

The offense isn't designed to get others involved but Steve and Cat? I have NO clue why you'd say this. Kenny Thomas is having a career year averaging 14 and 7, Griffin was playing well offensively until he hit the rookie wall, Moochie gets his share of bricks, and Cato is even putting up some points here and there.

Have you given much thought to the fact that two of our BEST offensive players are out for the season????

I am no "jock sniffer" but I can sure smell BS.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well he is RIGHT ON THE MONEY when talking about Steve NOT leading.

The problem is that we have no committment to team play, no committment to defense, and no committment to changing the way they do things.

Steve is an amazing talent, but he has ZERO clue in how to win in the NBA, especially in close games that matter.

He is a HORRID leader, and the rest of the team stands around while he fumbles the ball around and then MAYBE..MAYBE passes it off with 2 seconds left on the shot clock.

Now, don't give me the RUDY has designed this offense crap, because the offense Rudy has designed is for penetration and kick out. The guards taking 10 seconds to screw with the ball is NOT part of the offense.

Steve needs to reach down between his legs grab his tethered sack and LEAD this team, or get the HELL out of the way for someone else.

DaDakota

7. Believe2000

Believe2000 Member

Couldn't agree with you more. Steves attitude sucks. This is nothing new. He's severely immature. He's extremely arrogant. Same thing can be said for his boyfriend.

Now the potential is evident in both of their games. Let's just hope they can meet their potential.

Oh screw it! Trade them now!

8. DCballer

DCballer Member

Whatever. I wouldn't trade Steve or Cat period. Steve and Cat play with more heart than 85% of the NBA. I think his comments are right on, and to all the haters on here...What the hell are you doing on this web site? The game was given away, and by the way you don't get an assist if the shot isn't made. So I don't think that just because steve's assists were low in the second half that he was being selfish or not playing team basketball. I can't believe I even had to say that. Some of you really piss me off! Fans my a$$.:mad:

9. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

We should however, all come together and thank the hoops gods that we lost......BALLS BALLS BALLS, BOUNCY BOUNCY PING PONG BALLS.

10. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Finally, Steve's selfishness that I've been talking about the last half year has shone through to some of you guys.

Steve is a great player, no doubt about it, but he needs to shutup until he has the balls to take over games like he did in the 1st quarter.

If you need any proof of his selfishness, just look at the fact that he refuses to play SG. Any player who isn't willing to do something for a lottery bound team, is selfish in my book.

11. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

Those are some good points especially since I am on record as questioning those things about Wink. However, my view of last night's game is that we proved that we could beat Utah anytime. The coaching staff brought in Langhi and Collier and played them long minutes. I have no doubt in my mind that if Rudy wanted to win this game we could have. I thought when our starters were in we completely controlled the game. We did that in Q1 and Q2. Everybody knows this. We have to remember that #6 and higher is out there for us.

12. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

Rudy doesn't let Francis take over games. That's Moochie Norris' job in the fourth quarter :rolleyes:. The Rockets whole offense in the fourth is running the pick and role with Mooch and Kenny and having Steve stand in the corner.

13. TroyBaros

TroyBaros "Special" Friend of Steve Francis

I can bet just about every one of you Steve suck opinions would be less to none if were winning and heading to the playoffs..

You people are something else
    He is a leader. Leaders stand up wanna point blame at last nights loss Blame Collier he botched it
    Could not even guard oster tag last night.

If you people must know Steve was begging Rudy to take out Collier after oster tag did a number on him.

When cato came back damage was done too late for cato to clean up:mad:

14. JayZ750

I don't disagree with this, and realize that occasionally he can be too selfish...although I think that this is usauly more a function of lack of talent on our team than anything else.

But to use the quotes in the chronicle to back that opinion is r****ded. There is nothing wrong with what he said. There are some problems with his on the court leadership, though, especially when it comes to his (and Mobley's) constant complaining about the calls, and their lack of defense.q

15. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

:rolleyes: Please.....

If we sat here and over-analyzed players post-game comments game after game, we would re-hash the same comments over and over again.

I am sick and tired of the constant bashing, stupid trade proposals to get Andre Miller that will never work, and the lack of faith in our 2 superstar players. Injuries have KILLED us this year and there is no way around that.

Jesus Christ we won 45 games last year folks and it wasnt because of Hakeem!!!!

#15 Drewdog, Mar 27, 2002
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2002
  16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Steve could have said:

The refs did not affect the outcome of this game. Our own poor play led to us losing a game we should have won. (Let's not forget when Thomas 'screened' Russell into Cuttino on the 3 pointer and a fould was called on Russell).

The Utah bench outplayed ours which is unusual because our bench generally comes through for us. That being said, we starters were in the game the majority of the 4th quarter when the game was ultimately decided. We did not do our job.

We feel we are a better team than the Jazz, however, until we become consistent and learn to close out games, it's hard to justify that claim.

17. JayZ750

A leader does not unquestionably turn every question into blame on his part. Leaders don't congratulate the bench when they do well but take the blame when they do poorly. Our bench sucks...it has most of the year. Sometimes the leader has to point that out. The refs sucked. They fell victim to the Utah flopping and crying and complaining. Of course some calls went our way too, but for the refs to fall for some of those ridiculous Utah plays is just pathetic. I'm glad Steve brought it up.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Then, the Steve haters would've said the following:

"Steve said his teammates played poor. He's not a good leader."

"Steve is a liar, our bench does suck. He also talked bad about his fellow starters. He's not a good leader."

"He's still arrogant, how can he say we're better than the Jazz. He's not a good leader."

What people are conveniently forgetting in all of this is that Francis is only in his third year. Most third year players who are thrust into this position do not react any differently than Francis had. His first year, we lose Hakeem and Barkley for good chunks of the season. His second year, we don't have any other veterans outside of Hakeem (who played extremely well down the stretch) and we were in the playoff hunt right until the end. Who "led" us to 45 wins last year? Who would be "leading" us to a playoff run had he not been injured for a good majority of the season? Francis. He's not nearly as bad as some of you say, and for a guy with his experience and situation, I'm pretty happy with the results.

19. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Amen brother.

20. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

Neither Cat or Francis are playing like leaders. They are playing for stats!!