1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

They did it -- Rockets land Griffin for 3 picks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 27, 2001.

1. mc mark

mc mark Member

true, true

But I get to call a Rocket player by my nickname!

"GRIFF"!!!!!

BTW: love the sig Bob!

------------------
    Everything you do, effects everything that is.

2. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Member

WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

------------------
    "There are three kinds of lies:
    Lies, Damned Lies, and STATISTICS..."
    - Mark Twain -

3. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

4. Rudyball

Rudyball Member

Heyp,
    thanks for the sacrifice!
    We will be dancing in the streets if the summer pans out as weel as the draft.

Det,
    that lineup looks awesome.

------------------

5. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

What the hell are you talking about Heypartner? You WON the bet!

The Rockets are going to go with a 1-2-4-4-5 lineup.

------------------
    stop posting my damn signature

6. EddieGriffin

EddieGriffin Member

I am thrilled as you can see by my username. If we had the #1 overall pick I would have wanted Griffin. I guess the Collier trade really did work out because without it this never would have happened.

Francis
    Mobley
    Griffin
    Taylor
    Olajuwon/Cato

That is just an awesome lineup save the center position. But having solid players 1-4 overcomes that. Way to go Rudy, we love ya!

7. ROCKET!!!

ROCKET!!! Member

HP,
    Sorry for the loss, but this has to be worht the sacrific. Much better than we predicted.
    Our #3 position is solidified for years to come. This makes Williams completely expendable. Maybe Vancouver would like him as a backup to Battier.

Now if we could only get rid of Cato.

Man, my head is spinning with the possibilities. Webber, Mo, Hakeem, Griffen, Morris..... WOOOOOOW!!!

Proud to have the handle......

ROCKET!!!

------------------

8. Codman

Codman Member

Well it's my first post, by why not become a member after following Clutchcity.net for 4 years, and after an INCREDIBLE draft? We get 2 versatile players in Morris and Griffin, but we also keep team relationships good by bringing in one of Francis' buds. This draft truly showed why the Rockets are a great team with a great managemnet. Big Props to Rudy!!! I only wish we could have moved Cato...oh well...I'm thrilled with our current team.

Cod

------------------

9. BayouRocket

BayouRocket Member

This is a great trade. Good job Rudy and CD!!!!

One question though...

What are we going to do with TMo and Langhi behind Griffin? Walt too?

------------------

10. RocketSmack

RocketSmack Member

Since our possible small forwards are now Langhi, Anderson (maybe), Griffin, and Morris, could there be a trade? Maybe Griffin could be trade bait. I don't want to trade Griffin though, and Rudy seemed pretty intent of having Griffin in Houston, but ya never know! [​IMG]

------------------
    "And i'm spent!"

11. wink3

wink3 Member

UNREAL! THANK YOU NEW JERSEY!!

------------------
    If you have nothing nice to say, say it anyway.

12. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

This is amazing. I've been saying for the longest it would be great if Griffin could be on the floor with Francis and Mobley and today it came true. And to top it off we get T-Mo. Someone pinch me [​IMG] EDDIE FOR ROOKIE OF THE YEAR!!!!!!

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, Charles Woodson, and Eddie Griffin fan club.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

While this is exciting, I will hold my judgement until we see how this guy fits in with his new team.

My question is who the heck is going to mentor these young guys? It is apparent that more then ever we need some veteran leadership on this team.

I wish Barley would come back, he is EXACTLY the type of player these young guys need.

I am hopeful but I will not rejoice until I see the maturity that comes with KNOWING how to play ball, just not being athletic.

DaDakota- King of the cautiously optomistic club ! (Now if we could just get rid of Walt)

[This message has been edited by DaDakota (edited June 27, 2001).]

14. Digaida

Digaida Member

Last year we wanted Miles, Griffin would have been picked ahead of Miles had he came out then, this is really sweet, a steal.

TMo has nice tools too, when complementing two stars and one soon to be up and coming star....

They said they would stop the Rockets by allowing the Zone Defenses. Can you imagine:

Francis-PG
    Mobley-SG
    TMo-SF
    Griffin-PF
    Center?

not bad defense....blocks...long arms for steals...yep, I don't mind the zone if they continue to allow it...

------------------

15. barbourdg

barbourdg Member

WAY TO GO RUDY!!!

Now lets look at the FA market. Marc Jackson should be very easy to lure (with the cash we have) and if we get EVEN MORE LUCKY!!! We might even get Webber. But with Griffin on the boards, I am comfortable with resigning Mo.

------------------

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

17. barbourdg

barbourdg Member

WAY TO GO RUDY!!!

Now lets look at the FA market. Marc Jackson should be very easy to lure (with the cash we have) and if we get EVEN MORE LUCKY!!! We might even get Webber. But with Griffin on the boards, I am comfortable with resigning Mo.

------------------

18. wattsupdogg

wattsupdogg Member

what about a sign and trade with marc jackson and cato?

------------------
    Rockets For Better, For Worse......'til death do us part!

19. Achebe

Achebe Member

You're a great sport heypartner! This is amazing!!! I hope that TheFreak learns to like the new lineup that includes Griffin and Morris! This team went from 34-45 wins, from passing on Joel Pryzcrappa for Jason Collier, paid a bit of cash for Don McClean and got the #18 and turned all of that crap into something beautiful w/ Eddie Griffin. I originally thought that he might beat up Steve Francis, but... these guys are going to totally bond w/ the help of Cuttino's Mom.

Gosh, I'm so happy.

I could write exclamation points all night long!!!!!!!

------------------
    calling powdered toast man

girl you looks good won't you mock that draft up?!

20. Almu

Almu Member

Damn, I can't believe that the Rockets pulled it off!! Holy shiznet!!

But, lets be real guys. We absolutely stole the damn guy from NJ. They will NEVER be a good team doing moves like this. How the hell do you give up Griffin for 3 players who don't even match his talent PUT TOGETHER!

Damn, I thank God for NJ's basketball IQ.

Now, if we sign Webber and maybe Dream...holy smokes.

Proud to be a damn Rocketfan tonight...well, like every night. But today, I am just a little more proud!!!!

Great job Rocks!

------------------
    Sleepless in the Bronx