1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

There Is Gun Violence And Then There Is Gun Violence

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Nov 23, 2020.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I'm in Memphis. The funny thing about this post is I had this impression of this place before ever being here. I got the impression from First 48 which I've watched maybe 3 times in total.

Memphis had 3 homocides Sunday including a 2 year old shot in a 20 bullet drive by. The news people keep saying people died from gun violence. No these people died of dysfunction.

Changing gun laws won't stop inner city violence. Democrats will never make progress on gun laws because gun laws aren't a problem aside a few mass shootings. Stupid inner city gun shootings is more than ten times a problem in body count compared to mass shootings

Astrodome likes this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

No, easy access to guns is a serious problem in places like Memphis and Chicago and other areas. For example, in the case you cited, without a gun what would they have used for a drive by? A cross bow? In places such as Chicago many of the murders are spur of the moment drive by shootings and many innocent people die as a result. The reality is that most of the gangs in places like Chicago have been neutered by the crime bill.

Xerobull and FranchiseBlade like this.
  3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

That's not that funny

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Gun laws wont changed that. Gang members dont buy guns at Wal-Mart

#4 pgabriel, Nov 23, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    mikol13 likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

Why won't gun laws decrease gun violence? The issue is the amount of guns out there.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I used to work at flea markets in the bad parts of Houston back in the early 90's, and it was stupid how easy it was for a gang banger to get guns. I say this a person who owns more than a few guns, that shoots regularly, and handloads his own ammo.

I think both sides of the political spectrum are mostly wrong about the gun issue. Here are the facts.

• Over 95 percent of gun violence are committed with a handguns and not rifles. Rifles only consists of about 2.5 percent of all homicides
    • Most mass shooting are not what you see on television but are what's happening in inner city neighborhoods with handguns
    • 99 percent of guns possessed by criminals were initially bought legally but then resold to or stolen by a criminal because it's stupid easy to do so.
    • AR-15's are used in less than 1 percent of murders.
    • Even if you live in a state that has strict gun laws, it's stupid easy to drive to another state with lax gun laws to get guns.
    • In Texas and other states with the so called gun loophole, you can buy a gun without showing any ID and you can sell a gun to a criminal without any liability as long as you didn't know they were a criminal at the time of sale. There is no expectation for you to even ask, and for a liability standpoint, you are better off not asking.
    • Most people at gun ranges are morons and have no business owning a gun. (Not really fact but I think most people are morons)

I personally think the liberals are stupid for thinking AR's are a problem and think conservatives are stupid to think the "gunshow loophole" isn't contributing to the problem. Basically what I'm saying is that easy access to handguns are the real issue with gun violence along a gun culture problem that is a discussion in itself.

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Nice post.

I think ARs are a problem, but a different problem. The proliferation of those weapons can contribute to the lethality of mass shooting incidents / terrorist attacks. It makes little sense to me to argue that we shouldn't worry about mass shootings since far more people die as a result of gang violence.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Because the same people will still be buying regular guns

9. Nook

Nook Member

AR's are not the problem, hand guns are a far larger issue...... the problem is that it is very easy to purchase a gun, or many guns in the USA. There are more guns that people, which is absurd. Guns are easy to get illegally in large part because there are 400,000,000 guns in the USA. That has flooded the market with cheap illegal guns. It is why a 15 year old in inner city Chicago can get a gun for less than $100.

Having said that, there are certainly things that the government can do to limit gun violence in places like Chicago, Memphis and other areas.

10. Nook

Nook Member

Gun violence is still gun violence, whether it is a hand gun or not.

Are you drawing a distinction for AR's? I am not following.

What I am saying is that the large number of guns and numerous legal loopholes have made guns so readily available that anyone that is so inclined can get an illegal fire arm. That is what is happening in places like Chicago and Memphis.

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I think one gun law that all should be able to agree on is that anyone who sells or provides a gun illegally can be charged with the same crime the person of that gun is charged with if their crime involves the use of the illegally acquired gun.

Nook and pgabriel like this.
  12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Im saying everything rockbox wrote in his brilliant post

mikol13 and Nook like this.
  13. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

This one hits close to home for me. Lost my best friend at 16 to gun violence. Shotgun close range. Named my 2nd son after him.

Kids on the street always find a way to get guns. It’s so easy. As a teen I knew of several kids that would steal guns from gun owners buy from pawn shops, kids taking them from their parents gun collection. Just so many ways to get what they want. I agree that hand guns are the bigger issue overall, but I’m not a fan of AR’s either. Why are they needed?

Almost 10 years ago I lost another close friend who went to visit a family (husband, wife, 2 year old girl) on July 4th. After a night of drinking the couple got into a fight...my friend asleep in one room, baby in another. The husband kills his wife with the AR, walks in and shoots my friend in the head while sleeping, walks in the other room and shoots his baby in the head.

I saw my fair share of craziness with guns as a young person. I truly don’t know what the answer is. I just know something has to be done. No one gives enough of a sh** until they’re affected it seems.

pgabriel and Chilly_Pete like this.
  14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

the horse is out of the barn when it comes to gun control. There are more guns in America than people. You aren't going to stop anyone from getting one if they really want one. You only slow some of the BS loopholes that allow crazy people to buy them legally.

mikol13 likes this.
  15. conquistador#11

LA just passed 300 homicides for the first time in a decade.

pgabriel likes this.
  16. HTM

HTM Member

The only answer is to reorient our society such that we stop selling guns at scale and start getting the 400,000,000 + circulating in society out of circulation. The problem is there is not enough political will to do it. I wouldn't blink an eye if someone said we had to all give up our guns. I think our society would be much better for it. I think reasonable exceptions can be made for the avid sportsmen to own a reasonable weapon for his sport (over/under shotguns for bird hunting/sporting clays/trap/skeet) and the like. I suspect those exceptions exist in most other countries.

Democrats can suggest half-measures... raising the minimum age of purchase, limiting magazine capacities, limiting the type of guns you can buy and perhaps those half measures may save some lives but they won't address the root issue. Nobody will address the 400,000,000 gun elephant in the room but that's really the issue. It's not making it slightly more annoying to purchase a gun.

mikol13 likes this.
  17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Xerobull and Nook like this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

If black fathers would teach their sons the way of the arrow and blade you would see a dramatic decrease in inner city gun violence.

20. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

This guy's father in Utah taught him right.
    [​IMG]

Xerobull likes this.