1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[thepostgame]Robert Horry -"I made everybody better"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Jun 13, 2014.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I made everybody better
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/GRLJQ94AWj8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Who was the best?
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QlurRMPlfxQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The league is soft
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uoieWfokFp0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  2. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I don't remember dream ever averaging 80% and especially not 85%. I remember Dream always being .about 79%

3. krmclaughlin

krmclaughlin Member

Great to hear who the best big man was from the man who would know best.

4. cardpire

cardpire Member

surely he can find another reason why dream was better other than being the best ft shooter.

5. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

Parish makes me scared. He has those crazy eyes

1 person likes this.
  6. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

League is soft.

[​IMG]

7. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

It's actually a very legit reason. Being a good FT shooter means Hakeem could be left in the 4th since you couldn't try to hack him and hope he misses both. It was much more likely that the Dream sinks both than miss even one. The better reason though, would have been that the Dream rises under pressure situations.

8. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

"you got to put WOOD on 'em" -- freakin' hilarious! Chief...

... and Dream, career 71% ft shooter, Duncan 69%... of course Shaq not even 53% career ft's...

Dream had several years in the upper 70's percent-wise, but of course balanced that out with a number of lesser years...

Duncan had only a few years in that upper 70's range, but one year ('12-'13) at .817...

... not commenting on the validity of singling out ft percentage as a measure of overall greatness -- but agreeing that Dream had few holes in his game (in his prime)! Which is a legit criterion.

Who had the best prime years?

#8 burlesk, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  9. Jacinto

Jacinto Member

wow...just wow.

10. JazzLakerHater

I agree. Could you imagine just how much better Dwight Howard would be if he was able to consistently hit his free throws. He would probably average the 28 and 15 Shaq always says he needs to average.

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

"I made everybody better...

...because they picked up their games when I coasted during the regular season"

12. payaso

payaso Member

I listen to Horry bump his gums about his glory days and I think...
    you know what? That's Kahwi Leonard in 20 years.
    Dude has nothing to say other than what Pop tells him to say right now, but when he comes to the end, what a story he'll have to tell.

And this has nothing to do with the fact that Horry was my wife's favorite player in the glory years, as Leonard is her favorite right now... oh no...:rolleyes:

13. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

While Horry has the right idea of "can" vs "cannot" he needs to explain further...

-FTs which he has already mentioned
    -The other two could not guard the pick and roll as well as Hakeem. Shaq was always a liability in this situation. Neither Shaq nor Duncan had the mobility and agility that Dream had on the perimeter to make the block against Starks in Game 6 of the finals.
    -Hakeem was also the better passing lane defender between all three and better rim protector.
    -Duncan has never been as dominant in the post offensively as Shaq and Hakeem. At their peak Hakeem and Shaq were unstoppable in the post. Hakeem in particular went up against the toughest one on one matchups and came up on top.

I have had the privilege of watching two of the most complete players in the NBA to have ever played the game:

Hakeem and Jordan.

The only two players that at their peak were flawless on both ends of the court. You could not exploit them on offense or defense while they wrecked havoc on you.

14. Remii

Remii Member

Just to add _ Dream was like a guard trapped in a 7 footers body. He had such great handles and range and he could post up further away from the basket. He wasn't restricted to a small area like the other big men mentioned which is why I believe he was able to win a championship without another all star caliber player _ unlike the other big men.

15. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I clicked on this thread to post this....

Great minds think alike

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

Well if the man says he made everybody better, then I believe him.

17. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Lol :grin: Nice!

18. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Hakeem scored at least 23ppg for a season 9 times. Duncan did it.... 3 times! Hakeem's career average in steals per game is better than Tim Duncan's career high for a season. Don't even get me started on blocks. But.. Duncan won more rings, making the casual fans appreciate him more.

But Duncan is part of the best organization in basketball with the greatest coach, so it's pretty clear why he was able to win more rings. Hakeem could have won a lot more if Sampson stayed healthy. They went to the NBA Finals in Dream's rookie year or second year, if I'm not mistaken.

1 person likes this.
  19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In his second year. They were a devastating team. Also with Lloyd and wiggins (Andrews dad) they were a crazy offensive team.

They beat the lakers in game five with dream being ejected. Sampson was an all star already.

Dream had fantastic fundamentals , but people never talk about that because he so many spectacular moves.

Duncan is known for his fundamentals but nothing sports center worthy.

Horry said dream was so spectacular against the spurs nobody remembers horry hit the game winner in game 1 in the wcf.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Does/did Clyde know that that was a joke interview?