1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

The White One

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by francis786, Apr 22, 2001.

1. francis786

francis786 Member

Aite....i know a lot of people are gonna disagree but hear me out

Langhi, no matter how much you deny, is a good asset to this team. The only thing is that he doesnt get PT to prove it. He never got to play in the middle of the year, and when he did he was nervous and jus flat out sucked. But in the last 20 games or so, he got to see much more action. In all the games that he saw a considerable amount of Time he did great. He scored at least 10 points in all of those games. That is acceptable out of a rookie who doesnt get the PT he deserves.... i mean hes a 7 footer who can put the ball on the floor, hes got a nice outside touch, he was great in college (beating out Stromile Swift in the SEC player of the year). If he gets more time 2 show his skill we will have a much better shot at the playoffs....

------------------
    Proud President of the Whitey Deluxe (LANGHI) Fan Club

2. IndianPlaya

IndianPlaya Contributing Member

I fully agree with you, in fact, i will go as far as to say Langhi will be the next Dirk Novitzki. I mean, there is nothing holding him back. When dirk first came to the nba he averaged 7.8 ppg. Thats about how much Langhi averaged when he got the playing time. Its a known fact that Langhi has a nice outside J, Calvin is always commenting on his tremendous shooting touch. Also, he has a good vertical leap. We all saw this with his dunk against Minnesota. I predict that with more PT next year he will win the most improved player award, start avg. 17 ppg, and in time he will be the next Novitzki.

------------------

3. Steve_Francis_rules

I haven't seen enough of him to know if he'll be good or not, but from what i've heard he does have the potential to be.

------------------

4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Damn Lanky scores 17 ppg next season, he better win the most improved player of the year... and we better make the playoffs.

(I seriously doubt he will average 17 ppg... that is only 3 less than Steve and Cat)

------------------
    Watch out for gay Limbo Dancers.

5. DJ

DJ Member

Dan Langhi has a bright future. Langhi can score in an assortment of ways. He can: hit jump shots, hit three-pointers, penetrate to the rim and layup. Langhi gives opponents difficulties. If the opponent is bigger Langhi can use his athleticism to dribble past the opponents for the layup. If the opponent is smaller Langhi can shoot over them.

------------------

6. alaskansnowman

Langhi will develop into a good player I believe. I think that most people on this board will agree that he will become a good player... the question is how good?

He does have the size, athletecism, and hustle to make a big impact. And he has the skills to compliment his physical abilities also. Plus with the zone next year, he'll become even more valuable. He just needs to get stronger because I've seen him get bounced around out there.

Hopefully he won't get injured or anything, and have a good summer with all the summer league games + training programs. With time, he will become a very valuable asset to this team I believe.

------------------
    PrEsident of The Danforth Langhford FAN CLUB... He IS our future All-Star Small Forward

7. IndianPlaya

He just needs to get stronger because I've seen him get bounced around out there.
    I have seen the same thing lots of times. He needs to bulk up so he can rebound better and so he can use his height to his advantage in the post. With his current build he couldnt post up muggsy bogues.

One thing i have noticed about langhi is when he gets knocked down with the ball the rephs rarely call anything. That will change next year, when he gets the respect he deserve.

------------------

8. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

I think the team has big expectations for him. Every time he goes inside and scores, even in the garbage minutes, Steve and the others go crazy almost like he's their little brother. I think there must be potential in him. Question is how much. I wouldn't mind him turning out somewhat like dirk. I wouldn't mind if we started him and he averaged around 13 ppg.

------------------

9. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Langhi, no offense, is nowhere near the total package of Dirk.
    Dirk has one of the best looking jumpers in the game and has good baketball commons sense.
    Langhi is more of an athlete. He may learn the common sense and may have a decent jumper but is not Dirk.
    The only thing similar about the two is they are both white.

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I am unsure as to which games you were watching. I agree that Langhi has potential, but in the last 20 games he got 10 or more minutes 5 times. In those 5 games he had 2, 4, 13, 4 and 6 points. He shot 13-30 in those 5 games. He had one other game of 10 points in 12 minutes back in January.

------------------

11. Band Geek Mobster

Anyone notice we have 2 presidents of the Langhi fan club in this thread?

12. edc

edc Contributing Member

Alas, poor Continental Basketball Association. I knew him well.

Not really, but I can't resist stealing and misquoting the bard.

Anyway, where will Rudy go for spare talent, now that the Yakima Sun Kings are no more?

------------------

13. cson

cson Contributing Member

Since his crazy ass Slam in the RMR I've thought Lanky was good (still love Najera though), but when can we get ride of Collier!?!?

------------------
    C-son
    ---------------------
    Dream on

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I dont understand how people can make such blind judgements on a player's skill. He rarely played this season, and when he did get extended minutes and didnt shoot an airball he didnt do much better.

Before you flame on me, I think Langhi is cool and I like to see him sky for a great white one dunk as much as the next guy, and I think Langhi will stick around in this league for a while like most of you. But he is not the second coming and we shouldnt expect him to be so. WHile he will definitely improve as time goes by, we must remember that this who was stuck on the bench behind Shandon Anderson, Walt Williams, and Matt Bullard--nothing against those guys but it just goes to show how much Langhi needs to work on his game to reach his potential.

------------------
    Haha.. you fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is: Never get involved in a land war in Asia. Only slightly less well know is this: Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!

15. alaskansnowman

Hey, I am the original president of the Danforth Fan Club. There can only be 1 president, and that's me. Francis786, feel free to become vice president if you want, but I'm not resigning till my term is over.

------------------
    PrEsident of The Danforth Langhford FAN CLUB... He IS our future All-Star Small Forward

16. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I liked what I saw from Langhi in the few games he played this season...which of there were only about 3 he played comfortably and wasn't nervous. I think he could be a tremendous role player, and hopefully more.

We will see in the draft exactly how high the Rockets are on Dan, with whether or not they draft a SF #1. If they trade that pick or draft a big man then it almost guarentees that they wan't him to really develop next year. The draft may make or break his future with the team.

------------------

17. haven

haven Member

On Langhi, we know:

1. He can dunk for a white toothpick.
    2. We don't know much else.
    3. He kicked butt on a decent team in a good league in college.
    4. He needs to gain some serious weight.
    5. Rudy likes him.

That's it. Sorry, that isn't enough information to form the basis of any reasonable predictions. I like cheering on the team too, but try to keep ita little more grounded in reality.

------------------
    I would believe only in a God who could dance. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Boston College - NCAA Hockey National Champions 2001

18. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I like Dan, but Nowitzki is almost a freak. He has every conceivable physical edge over Dan, big time.

Dan could develop into a decent player, but Dirk was a lotto pick for a reason.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

19. IndianPlaya

Novitzki was a lottery pick cuz Don Nelson isnt afraid to take chances with foreign born players.

Langhi has the touch from the outside and the leaping ability, all he need now is some confidence.

The only thing Novitzki has that Langhi doesnt is size. Langhi is quicker and can jump higher. Im not saying thats all, but hops are hard to get, while size can be gained or lost.

------------------

20. francis786

francis786 Member

1. He can dunk for a white toothpick.
    2. We don't know much else.
    3. He kicked butt on a decent team in a good league in college.
    4. He needs to gain some serious weight.

ok i agree with 1 and 4 i dont get number 2. i agree that if he bulks up... he's got a whole 6 months to do that...he will be a much more dominant force inside. Number 3 is totally true....SEC player of the year remember....

AS FOR YOU, Alaskan, my thing is know as the Whitey Deluxe Fan Club.....he's good he deserves 2 fan clubs...:p

------------------
    Proud President of the Whitey Deluxe (LANGHI) Fan Club