1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The trade that never happened - Horry/Elliot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BleedsRocketRed, Jun 16, 2014.

1. BleedsRocketRed

Watching Sean Elliot on First Take this morning and it got me thinking about the trade that never happened. The Horry for Elliot trade that was reversed because "failed physical"

For those who vividly remember or had some other info, what exactly happened? What was the reasoning behind the trade and do you think Elliot would have filled Horry's void...etc

Just kind curious what the story around the situation was back then. I vividly remember the trade itself, and the story that Horry was coming back, but I just don't remember the details (I was 13 years old back then)

Based on career arc, I think Elliot would have been fine, if not great in Houston. Interesting to think about what could have been honestly.

2. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

The hang up was over Elliot's kidney disease correct? I was even younger than you, but that's what I remember.

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Yup. Failed physical I believe. He had to get a kidney transplant from his brother a couple of years after that.

4. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Elliott was coming off an All Star year and was still viewed as an above-average SF. The problem was, he wasn't THAT great, but a Robinson-centered offense made him look better in San Antonio. Of course, Hakeem would do the same in theory. He was having a down year in Detroit as a bigger focus in an offense, so he was on the block there.

More importantly, Horry was having a lot of issues in Houston. Underperforming, lackadaisical attitude, not taking coaching to become more aggressive. The Rockets saw an opportunity for a "clear upgrade" on paper. Luckily, the non-trade triggered Horry to turn his season/career around

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Man, we would have been thin at PF from 94-96. I imagine we could still manage with Chucky Brown. Ultimately Elliot gets dealt for Barkley anyways. So we could literally only stand to lose from that trade. I don't see Elliot being the reason we get over the Sonics in 96. I do see not having a PF sealing our fate in 95.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

There was also that issue with his baby's mama, Calvin Murphy's daughter.

7. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Rockets are 2-0 on failed trades; i.e. Horry/Elliot; Gasol trade.

8. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

The Real "Trade That Never Happened" was this:

"In 1984 the Blazers offered Drexler AND the #2 pick in the draft for Ralph Sampson (only). Sampson had just come off a ROY campaign and Drexler struggled his rookie year, plus the Blazers needed a big man. The Rockets said no, and everyone ended up with who they got.

The Rockets would have had hometown favorites Olajuwon and Drexler, and since they had a big man, wouldn't have drafted injured Sam Bowie, thus picking Jordan at #2."

Chamillionaire likes this.
  9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Funny thing. . . this seems to have been the 'knock' on Diaw for a while

Rocket River

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The rockets lost Sampson to a severe hip injury and Lloyd and wiggins to cocaine.

So if let's say David stern didn't sabotage the rockets by suspending Lloyd and wiggins , we would have been alright.

Yeah like nobody on the lakers or Knicks did coke, but two players on the rockets ?

11. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

I never understand this argument. Rockets intended to pair up Olajuwon and Sampson to form the "Twin Towers" in the first place. Even if they were willing to trade Sampson for Drexler and #2, they still might want to draft Sam Bowie to replace Ralph Sampson. On the other hand, both Drexler and Jordan were strictly shooting guards who couldn't play together whatsoever. If you already had Drexler you probably wouldn't draft Jordan unless you had the benefit of hindsight. Just my two cents.

12. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

The trade that shouldn't have happened...

Barkley for Sam and Robert.

fba34 likes this.
  13. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Since I did not want to start a new thread, I am thankful he never played a game for the Rockets because his color commentary makes Clyde Drexler seem passable...

fba34 and Vin2k2 like this.
  14. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

...living in Austin, I never want to listen to Sean Elliott again...

fba34 likes this.
  15. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

Best thing about Horry is how he's played for some of the best coaches, with the best bigs of the game, on some of the best teams and he's always maintained that the best coach was Rudy and the best center was Hakeem.